Using optical splitter with VIP 622

dogpoobob

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 10, 2005
Brighton, TN (near Memphis)
I have my 622 connected to my surround with the optical cable. I want to also connect a Blu Ray player to the surround system, but only have one input. I was looking at an optical splitter, but there was one poster that was unable to use the splitter with his satellite DVR because the connection to the optical output was not turned off with the unit and there was interference. Does anyone know if this would be a problem with the VIP 622?

Since the receiver never shuts completely off, rather goes into standby, I would bet you would have the same problem.

Ditto. Time to start saving up coin of the realm for a new A/V system.

Sounds good, but read the customer reviews. Certainly cheap enough to take a chance.

You can also get some really good deals on Ebay ...
Onkyo TX-NR509 5.1 Channel Network A/V Receiver | eBay

the TX-NR series is network connected .... I got one of the slightly older TX-SR series ... for 125 bucks delivered! not as many HDMI as the newest units.. but plenty of inputs for my needs (hooked to my computer & 5.1 surround speaker set) I was pleasantly surprised by the Onkyo .. bought the TX-NR808 for the home when my main receiver blew .. and then a month or two later my old office JVC5.1 died, so found the inexpensive SR804....

I have it hooked to the PC, to a 5 disc dvd player, and my 3rd monitor ... (mono price had the hdmi to dvi-d adapter I needed) so when not using the third monitor, I hit the input select and it switches to the Onkyo ... now all I'd need is the 813/110 to come out .. I could redo the runs, and not have to try to use a tube TV in the background.. :)

sam_gordon said:
Can you use coax audio (usually coded orange) from the BD player?

I haven't bought a blu ray yet, so that's a possibility. Where would it connect to the surround. As for another purchase, my current system is a Samsung wireless with a 5 disk changer. It was pretty expensive and I'd like to keep using the surround, just replace the player.

you'd need to specify what model Samsung receiver / Home Theater setup you have .. that way the model can be looked up and maybe the specs checked for what its compatible with or expandable to.

Would be curious of the expense .. just tallied what I have .. its about 1500 bought in pieces through the years. Most expensive would be the receiver 700 (7 hdmi inputs, internet connected, etc)

Since the receiver never shuts completely off, rather goes into standby, I would bet you would have the same problem.
I use a cheap splitter/combiner that I bought off Amazon for my 722 and blu-ray and it works great. The 722 apparently doesn't output any audio when in standby so there's been no interference. My Harmony remote is programmed to power on/off the proper devices and select the correct inputs...

Sounds good, but read the customer reviews. Certainly cheap enough to take a chance.

Yea it's made in China but I have had mine over 2 years and still works great.For the price makes for an easy fix.

As mentioned, you'd have to specify which Samsung receiver you're connecting too. The digital coax audio I mentioned does carry 5.1. My surround system (lower end Sony) has three digital inputs... two optical and one coaxial. It's just over three years old.

TG2 said:
you'd need to specify what model Samsung receiver / Home Theater setup you have .. that way the model can be looked up and maybe the specs checked for what its compatible with or expandable to.

Would be curious of the expense .. just tallied what I have .. its about 1500 bought in pieces through the years. Most expensive would be the receiver 700 (7 hdmi inputs, internet connected, etc)

It's not in that range, but I don't want to spend another $700 as little as I use it and throw a perfectly good system away just to get blu ray.

It's not in that range, but I don't want to spend another $700 as little as I use it and throw a perfectly good system away just to get blu ray.
understandable ... like I said though ... I purchased a used Onkyo (TX-SR804) ... 125 delivered from Ebay.. while its an added expense .... researching the models and options is time consuming ... but 125 for a 400 to 500 dollar receiver when it was new is certainly a good deal ... and gives the expandability that some of the "Home Theater In A Box" units don't.

As to the throw away aspect .. when I upgraded from one receiver to the next.. I always found ways to retask the old ones.. :)

earliest receiver (still kicking) is an old JVC unit .. it was moved upstairs .. does dolby surround (front left, front right, single rear) lol ... every unit since has been minimum 5.1 ... if i had some spare change ... I would buy another receiver making sure its network connected .. I couldn't believe how awesome it was to get Shoutcast / VTuner stations through the newer amp..

Anyway.. still if you gave us the model number we could look it up.. see the rear connections and then you'd know what it would support.

I've heard of optical to coaxial converters too. My cousin has one that he likes and I've often thought of getting one. My A/V only has one optical and one Coax & I use the optical for my PS3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts