Using RF and IR at the same time

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cnrsat

Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
NY
Hello all,

I know I'm asking for a 'hack', but its not to steal anything - its just to enable something that should have been enabled all along. If this is against the policy here, I apologize in advance.

Has anyone figured out how to enable BOTH IR and RF on DirecTv HD DVR receivers? I'm having DirecTV installed next week and I'd like to send my receiver output to 3 TVs, with 2 in other rooms. I'm assuming the RF remotes would work from the other rooms, but I have a Harmony remote nicely set up for my HT system. which is all IR.

I know DISH can use IR and RF at the same time, so theres no technological barrier. Has anyone figured out how to enable both in DirecTV receivers?

Thanks, CJ

Hello all,

I know I'm asking for a 'hack', but its not to steal anything - its just to enable something that should have been enabled all along. If this is against the policy here, I apologize in advance.

Has anyone figured out how to enable BOTH IR and RF on DirecTv HD DVR receivers? I'm having DirecTV installed next week and I'd like to send my receiver output to 3 TVs, with 2 in other rooms. I'm assuming the RF remotes would work from the other rooms, but I have a Harmony remote nicely set up for my HT system. which is all IR.

I know DISH can use IR and RF at the same time, so theres no technological barrier. Has anyone figured out how to enable both in DirecTV receivers?

Thanks, CJ

This is not a hack, so you don't have to worry about it here.
I didn't know that DISH was able to do IR AND RF .....

Anyways, No, you cannot do both with D*.

You can use the RF for other rooms, mine worked well that way, I had one remote in the HT room and I in the other room.

Can the Harmony do both IR and RF ?
If not, why not ?

I didn't know that DISH was able to do IR AND RF .....

I know some of the older receivers could. My 811 I was able to. Had the UHF remote in the bedroom and a IR remote from a 301 in the living room. Worked fine

The Harmony 890 does do RF, but not natively to the HD DVRs. It uses an RF receiver that converts the signal to IR.

I know some of the older receivers could. My 811 I was able to. Had the UHF remote in the bedroom and a IR remote from a 301 in the living room. Worked fine

Today, I learned from both of you ! :up

Thanks for the info guys, even though it wasnt what I wanted to hear. I wish some of the real clever computer hackers would hop on this and figure out how to do both IR and RF. If the DirecTV remotes can do it, then their receivers should!

I just had DTC installed yesterday and the included RF remote does work from upstairs on the opposite end of the house.

But to use my Harmony remote I guess I'll have to go with the Nect Generation RF remote extender. :(

Thanks for the answers...

CJ

Thanks for the info guys, even though it wasnt what I wanted to hear. I wish some of the real clever computer hackers would hop on this and figure out how to do both IR and RF. If the DirecTV remotes can do it, then their receivers should!

The real clever computer hackers would have to rewrite the code for the DIRECTV receiver and DVR boxes and reload it into the receivers and DVRs somehow. Not likely to happen.

Some of the Directv boxes did both at one point, but no longer. It would be a nice feature. Perhaps emailing Directv and letting them know would help to get it back.

Some of the Directv boxes did both at one point, but no longer. It would be a nice feature. Perhaps emailing Directv and letting them know would help to get it back.

i wonder if it is JUST a software setting that stops the capability? if so maybe they will roll out a fix later on, maybe they don't even realize the demand for it.

i wonder if it is JUST a software setting that stops the capability? if so maybe they will roll out a fix later on, maybe they don't even realize the demand for it.

That's why I suggested that an email may help to get it back. I am pretty sure I read it disappeared after a software update a while ago.

That's why I suggested that an email may help to get it back. I am pretty sure I read it disappeared after a software update a while ago.

Don't think the new HR2x/H2x units ever had the capability. It has always been one or the other.. I have had my HR20-700 since they first came out.. And it has always made me mad that I couldn't do IR/RF at the same time..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)