wallyhts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
Check this out. Wow!!!

New IP-LNB delivers satellite broadcast content to TVs, tablets, smartphones and PCs connected to the home IP network

LUXEMBOURG – SES Industry Days Conference - April 19, 2013 – SES (NYSE Euronext Paris and Luxembourg Stock Exchange: SESG), Inverto, Abilis and MaxLinear Inc. (NYSE: MXL) today announced that they have been jointly designing an essential component for cost-effective IP distribution of satellite television to the home – the first low-noise block down-converter (LNB) that will incorporate eight-channel satellite-to-IP bridging technology.
The IP-LNB is a prototype device that will deliver eight concurrent channels from any of the transponders of a satellite orbital position. These channels may be forwarded via IP unicast or multicast to fixed and portable devices. Satellite signals will be distributed via Ethernet, power-line communications (PLC) or a Wi-Fi local area network (LAN). The technology can be used for free-to-air (FTA) or pay TV applications.
“The IP-LNB will give satellite television providers and consumers new options for distributing unmatched quality satellite television to multiple TVs, computers and tablets over IP at the lowest cost,” said Thomas Wrede, Vice President of SES Reception Systems. “When we committed ourselves to making SAT>IP an open standard, we envisioned this type of innovation. It is exciting to see it now come to fruition.”
The LNB is a crucial element of a satellite system, receiving signals collected by the satellite dish, amplifying and converting them to intermediate frequencies to be carried to the set-top box (STB).
By locating the satellite reception and the IP bridging functions in the antenna, the IP-LNB will enable satellite content distribution to the home over a single Ethernet cable. The IP-LNB may be powered over that same cable through Power over Ethernet (PoE) technology, greatly reducing the overall system cost and power consumption.

This new technology enables the satellite signal to be sampled digitally directly at the antenna, making the satellite spectrum data and other link-quality metrics accessible over the LAN. These advancements greatly simplify the dish installation and enable remote monitoring from the LAN.
Designing such a novel LNB requires significant advances in satellite chipset and real-time IP streaming software technology to meet the unique system requirements on the size, power consumption, long-term reliability and price point required for a commercially viable outdoor unit (ODU).
The new device will combine SES’ SAT>IP protocol innovations, MaxLinear’s Full-Spectrum Capture (FSC™) DVB-S2 receiver IC, Abilis’ TB101 Broadcast to Broadband Bridge™ (B[SUP]3[/SUP]™) SoC, and Inverto’s software stacks and a new high-performance LNB product design. Together, these technologies have produced a compact, cost effective and low-power eight-channel IP-LNB.

Availability
The IP-LNB technology will be demonstrated at SES’ Industry Days conference being held on April 18 and 19 in Luxembourg. The parties are currently engaging with key customers to characterize various parameters for a first commercial IP-LNB product and its deployment schedule.

IP-LNB Key Features

• 10.7-12.75 GHz Ku-band RF, compliant to SES requirements
  • 8-channel Full-Spectrum Capture™ DVB-S2 single-chip receiver
  • Broadcast to Broadband Bridge™ SoC
  • IP and real-time SAT>IP streaming software stacks and protocols.
  • Gigabit Ethernet LAN connectivity, Wake-on-LAN
  • Power-over-Ethernet Type I, less than 10W for 8-channel operation
  • Remote spectrum, temperature and PHY metrics monitoring
  • SW upgradeable over Ethernet and over satellite broadcast
  • -40 to +65C operating temperature

Now we know why Anole has always advocated including a network cable to the dish ;) He's Psycho err Psychic and in possesion of a large ESP :eek:

Bah, humbug! :)
The world of (FTA) satellite reception in western Europe might be ripe for such a solution, but I dont see it happening here.
Not on our FTA, at least.
Might go over well with Dish or DirecTV, though.

Think I remember someone mentioning them, like, a year or so ago. Who was it who went to that electronics show in the EU back then?? :confused:
In the "European model" I can see them as becoming popular. In N.A.? nope. That is, unless more 'mainstream' program providers adopt FTA as their 'outlet'. But I think the chances for that are very slim.

Saw a similar concept of a dish located block receiver/IP transmitter at the ANGA show two years ago. Not as elegant as this single LNBF solution!

I believe that this would have great FTA potential in North America!

Been working with a manufacturer on a LAN based tuner for DVB S, but this has a much greater potential. This LNB>IP device essentially would allow up to 8 media box/tablets/PC/mobile devices to simultaneously access eight different channels from the same satellite using a single line for distribution.

Imagine the equivalent of an eight tuner STB on one or many devices for each fixed LNB. Team this with a multiple LNBs (if the IP addresses would be an user setting) on a multi feed dish and have access to as many satellites and many channels to a single or multiple media devices. A motorized system will never be well shared between devices, but depending on the LNB>IP unit cost this could be an excellent solution.

Unfortunately, many media devices would not be compatible with typical satellite broadcasts (example: Roku) due to lack of MPEG2 support, but most platforms would support.

Price dependent

. . .

This LNB>IP device essentially would allow up to 8 media box/tablets/PC/mobile devices to simultaneously access eight different channels from the same satellite using a single line for distribution.

Imagine the equivalent of an eight tuner STB on one or many devices for each fixed LNB.

Team this with a multiple LNBs (if the IP addresses would be an user setting) on a multi feed dish and have access to as many satellites and many channels to a single or multiple media devices. .
If 97w is all you watch, or one/two birds with lots of Spanish programming, it could be fine.
And of course Dish or Direct with their few fixed birds might embrace the idea some day (though probably on some proprietary format).
But as North American FTAers currently operate, I dont see the draw.

Of course, as production goes up and prices come down, things change.
At $100, it might make a great 97w receiver.
At $50 or less, it becomes more attractive as a general solution. ;)

Time for some new standards.

DiSEqC-IP perhaps?

If someone can throw up a dish and get a smart LNBF and then pull out their laptop, Phone, tablet or Smart-TV Big Screen to view the multicast's WOW!!!!

If solar panels got cheap and effecient enough I could see a satellite dish made of a solar panel powering the IP lnb and the small receiver built into the lnb transmitting a wireless signal to any device. No need for a satellite receiver as the television would be able to receive the signal wirelessly as well from the lnb receiver or from one of your devices.

I would expect the price of such a LNBF to be quite expensive, although it might be worth the cost if it was warranted for a long enough period of time and had sufficient protection from atmospheric electricity and moisture (not to mention UV)...

I was just thinking the other day that its getting to the point where the only cable you need to put into a home is CAT6...

This LNB>IP device essentially would allow up to 8 media box/tablets/PC/mobile devices to simultaneously access eight different channels from the same satellite using a single line for distribution.

Must admit, with a few tweaks this is awesome!

First off... how do you control the motor???

Second... how about MPEG and other standards a good STB supports???

Certainly, tuning this thing from my tablet would certainly be quite
the deal!

I am testing a Satellite LNB to IP system and it is fine for Standard Definition. It is even OK for HD mpeg2 if only one or two people are watching at the same time. But it sucks big time for 1080i mpeg4 content. The processor is not fast enough to handle the high bit-rate content and the picture stutters. That eliminates my favorite HD channels (PBS, NBC, NHK) that are known to have high quality pictures.

Since it is new technology, I am sure it will have a lot of improvements for solid service with mpeg 4 HD in the future. I can see Dish and Direct using this technology in the future.

Yes network bandwidth would be the limitation, would require gigabit at the very least and fiber for more than one or two HD channels. I could see this idea morphing into something a bit more disjointed than the current model; possibly a receiver/decoder in the form of an SW22 switch type form factor mounted at the dish with the traditional LNBF type(s) mounted at the focal point... and what ever network connection/power run from a router indoors to the user units. Certainly technically possible. Just too bad TCP/IP infrastructure can't keep up with technology.

guacharaca said:
I am testing a Satellite LNB to IP system and it is fine for Standard Definition. It is even OK for HD mpeg2 if only one or two people are watching at the same time. But it sucks big time for 1080i mpeg4 content. The processor is not fast enough to handle the high bit-rate content and the picture stutters. That eliminates my favorite HD channels (PBS, NBC, NHK) that are known to have high quality pictures.

What model are you testing?

Maybe the future is fiber ran from the dish to the receiver inside.

The fiber LNBFs have been available for almost five years and have only had limited success mainly for multi family distribution. The product is expensive and installation / service requires specialized tools and training. Doubt that we will ever see single family satellite systems using fiber for dish connections.

I was thinking about the power issue with fiber. I figure they would use one wire containing both the fiber and the wire to power the lnb. If they ever had to do this for consumers the pricing would have to be cheap and simple connectors for consumers. Most likely technology would improve enough on ethernet/coax to overcome any need for fiber in the future.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)