Using single cable for Dish + FTA + Cable internet

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zzer0

Original poster
Dec 19, 2005
Hi guys,

I have the equipment to get FTA, i.e. single dish and receiver. Now I just moved to a new place and have Dish for TV but cable for the Internet.
The Dish guy installed a Dish 500 Pro using a single cable to a diplexer which combines the Dish and cable signal into one cable. This single cable is hooked to the house wiring system which goes to an OnQ panel. In there, he added another diplexer to split the satellite and cable signal. The satellite one ran to my living room where it is splitted into twos and connected to the 625DVR box.

Now, I would like to install the FTA myself but not sure what I need to buy to achieve the following:
1. I wouldl like to mount the FTA dish close to the Dish one and somehow combine its signal with Dish. The combined signal will go to the existing diplexer and will get merged with cable one. What should I buy to do this?
2. I would like to add a switch in the OnQ panel to distribute signal to different rooms. Since the 625 box can send signal to a second room, I am more interested in adding another FTA receiver. However, I would like some future proof of distributing Dish signal as well in case I want to add a HDTV box later on. What needs to be used here?

I searched around here but did not find any answer for my scenario. I appreciate any help from you. Maybe just tell me to hire a professional installer is cool too.

Thanks!

Hello and WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum!

Its always best to run an independent cable for your FTA system if at all possible, especially a Dish Pro setup!

I was doing a follow-up service call after a "Pro Dish Network Installer" had finished installing his dish and a FTA system in a customers house. This installer would NEVER return the calls from the customer about getting the FTA working right so he called me. He had left the install with Diplexers in line and no signal. I tried to get a signal to the receiver without any luck even after re-aiming the dish, which I had to do anyway, because the installer did not have a signal on the satellite the customer wanted to watch. I ended up running a new cable from the switch to the receiver and left a happy customer.

I'm not sure #1 is even possible. The output of the LNB on the FTA dish and the LNB on the Dish dish (ha!) are likely to overlap, so there's no way for a diplexer to combine or separate them, and they'd interfere with each other. You'd also have a problem with the 13/18V DC switching and any 22 KHz tone that might be involved. In short, I think you're going to be stuck using a separate cable for your FTA setup.

Thanks guys. I will look at running a new line for FTA then. However, can I still and how to share the same cable given that I have one TV and can only watch etheir Dish or FTA?

Another quick question though, I saw on EBay switches which seem to work for both DirectTV and FTA. Is this true?

Thanks!
z0

Most newer TV's have multiple inputs in the back, best to run an RCA / (Component Cable) (Yellow Red White) or even better a Super video cable directly from each receiver to the back of the TV. Then you can choose what video input by using the remote to select Video 1 / Video 2 ........
If you only have coax inputs, its time for a new TV but an A/B switch could be used to toggle between systems. Radio shack (Tandy) even have converters to turn a coax cable input into a double component input!
Regular DirecTV switch will work for FTA.

Last edited:
I know for sure that cable and OTA signals will cancel out because they are very close in frequency. I tried to combine the OTA antenna and cable inputs into my LG 3100A tuner (to get the music channels off cable) and had no luck at all.

If you only have one set of connections on the back of your TV (S-video, RCA, etc), you can go to Rat Shack and pick up a push button selector switch. I think other stores sell the same switch as a Sony product, as well. It will allow you to connect your devices with one output tied directly to the TV. Unfortunately, you cannot "mix and match" RCA and S-Video connections. You can have one or the other. (At least that's the way mine works).

Cheers

Cable TV and satellite TV CAN be combined on one cable using a diplexer at each end of the cable, but two digital satellite systems can not :(

bryansr said:
I was doing a follow-up service call after a "Pro Dish Network Installer" had finished installing his dish and a FTA system in a customers house. This installer would NEVER return the calls from the customer about getting the FTA working right so he called me. He had left the install with Diplexers in line and no signal. I tried to get a signal to the receiver without any luck even after re-aiming the dish, which I had to do anyway, because the installer did not have a signal on the satellite the customer wanted to watch. I ended up running a new cable from the switch to the receiver and left a happy customer.
Pro Dish Network Installer ??? More likely is the HACK installer that company hired for $30.00 per install. And no other system experience excepted DTV or Dish.:D :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts