Using Sling While Recording?

rstark18

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Just upgraded from a 722 to a Hopper today. My nightly routine is to watch some recorded show via sling on my iPad while in the kitchen. With the Hopper I couldn't get the sling to play any recorded shows (I had a few). Never had much problem with the 722. I contacted 2nd level chat support. The guy (Thomas (ID: K8Y)) insisted that if I am recording anything then the sling cannot access recorded shows. He said that all sling enabled DVRs work this way. I told him I've had two 722's that worked fine watching a recorded show while recording another (as long as 1 tuner was free). He said they were not working correctly.
What's going on here? I cant imagine not being able to use the sling adapter if a tuner is recording something. That would make my sling completely useless for me because I record a lot of shows in the evening (even more now with PrimeTimeAnytime) which is also the time I need the sling.

I think I see the limitation. The Sling wants to always use tuner 2 (of the 3). So even if the other tuners are free but tuner 2 is recording, the Sling won't work. It doesn't look like the Hopper has any way to manage how the tuners record. I'm not sure how to resolve this.

Just talked to chat again and got a tech that new what they were talking about this time. He confirmed that it should not work that way and filled out a trouble ticket for a future s/w upgrade. Hopefully soon.

I thought in the Dish app (iOS), under My Receivers, if you "Edit" and continue to drill down there is a "Sling Input" ... with an option of TV1 and TV2.

I don't have a Sling Adapter (though I literally just ordered one today for my 722) ... but you might be able to experiment with the Dish app and see if that can do anything for you.

Dont know about hopper but there is no such option for sling with 722k. Sling always works with tv2. If that tuner is recording something, then I can watch the same thing or already recorded program from the dvr

I think I see the limitation. The Sling wants to always use tuner 2 (of the 3). So even if the other tuners are free but tuner 2 is recording, the Sling won't work. It doesn't look like the Hopper has any way to manage how the tuners record. I'm not sure how to resolve this.

I had two live shows going last night, and was watching via sling on tuner 3. Not sure why you would say it wants to use tuner 2. It will grab which ever tuner is free.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)