Using splitter on OTA feed

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
I realize you can't use older (analog) splitters and I think I've got one or two "digital" splitters, but how reliable is it splitting an antenna feed into (2) digital receivers ?? I just want to do simple comparisons between my Dish 622 and my Samsung TS160 and want to do side-by-side vs connecting one, testing it, disconnecting it and connecting the other, then testing it. I want to simply switch inputs.

Can I do this with a splitter on an antenna feed ??

You should be able to do it. It all depends on how long the cable run is and just remember to add 3.5 dB loss on each leg of the splitter. I'd say give it shot and see what kind of results you get.

Mine is split 4 ways without any problems.

Same here.
Image00122.jpg

What do you mean analog/digital splitter? Are you talking about a satellite diplexer vs an OTA splitter.

If you are talking just OTA there is no such thing as analog or digital splitter that I have ever heard of.

An RF splitter is rated for a range of frequencies. Older ones had no concept of digital frequencies, i.e. those ~700mhz and above. Newer ones are rated up to 2100mhz. Same reason it's not advisable to use RG59 to feed a satellite receiver or a digital cable set-top.

There are power pass splitters if you need them. see photo Powerpass_splitter.jpg

Attachments

• Powerpass_splitter.jpg
    Powerpass_splitter.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
An RF splitter is rated for a range of frequencies. Older ones had no concept of digital frequencies, i.e. those ~700mhz and above. Newer ones are rated up to 2100mhz. Same reason it's not advisable to use RG59 to feed a satellite receiver or a digital cable set-top.

we're talking about splitting an antenna feed here - the frequency band is the same for analog and digital signals, the splitter does not know the difference, its all just a signal. . OTA runs up to 806MHz, in 2009 when analog goes away it will only be to 698MHz. ANY splitter is OK for OTA, they will all give you a 3.5db split for a two-way splitter (just less than half the signal on each output). Every additional split is another 3.5db.

Yes, it's the antenna feed and now that you mention this, that makes sense. It's still the same UHF or VHF frequencies. I was thinking digital cable or digital satellite which needs the higher range. I have both splitters, I think, and could have used one of the 'digital' ones and not even needed to ask... :) Just wanted to be sure though.

I use an AR splitter from BB to feed 622 OTA and Samsung DTB-H260F HD receiver at the same time. I did not see any drop in signal strength on the 622 OTA stations when I inserted the splitter. By the way, my 622 OTA refuses to lock on one station that has a signal of 91. But my H260F and my PC HD tuner card both show 100% signal and perfect lock on that station. All on the same antenna.

SPlitters

A splitter is a splitter, no such thing as an anolg or digital splitter. Som of the older splitters are only swept tested for 5-900 mhz, not good for digital signals. Go get a standard splitter with the amount of outputs you need that is rated 5-2300 mhz it should say on the front of the splitter and you should be fine.

Attachments

• jvi splitter.jpg
    jvi splitter.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 209
A splitter is a splitter, no such thing as an anolg or digital splitter. Som of the older splitters are only swept tested for 5-900 mhz, not good for digital signals. Go get a standard splitter with the amount of outputs you need that is rated 5-2300 mhz it should say on the front of the splitter and you should be fine.

could this splitter be used as a combiner also, lets say the antenna and an satellite tv 2?

Is that the amp or pre-amp that first cable is running into? I know I'm new here thats why i'm trying to learn new things.
Looks like the output of the power supply unit of a Channel Master preamp, like a 7777...

The only "dumb" question is the one the one you don't ask, dumb as in mute...

could this splitter be used as a combiner also, lets say the antenna and an satellite tv 2?

It can combine two RF signals, say from two antennas, although combining antenna signals is problematic becaus the signals from each antenna is out of phase with the other one - not good...but what you need to combine antenna with satellite is a diplexer. And you can't use those with DirecTV if you have a 5-lnb dish, the new satellites that launch in 2007 will transmit frequencies that overlap the signals coming from the antenna.

you just contradicted yourself in the same post

A splitter is a splitter, no such thing as an anolg or digital splitter.

Som of the older splitters are only swept tested for 5-900 mhz, not good for digital signals.
as noted above, OTA channels are the same frequency regardless of analog or digital. a 5-900 MHZ and a 5-2300MHZ will work the same for OTA

texasbrit, I thought the new satellites that will be going up broadcasted in the Ka band frequencies. How will that interfere with those frequencies on the UHF and VHF band? Are those satellites using some kind of locator beacon that is in the VHF or UHF range? Also, Iceberg, I was thinking that a splitter that has been tested and rated for 2300mhz would be a higher quality splitter than one that would be rated at 900mhz? I know that you're supposed to get a certain amount of signal loss per split in decibel terms, but wouldn't the decibel loss from a higher rated splitter be lower than that from a 5-900mhz splitter? I figure there has to be some major craftsmanship going into something tested at a higher frequency than one that hasn't been tested at a higher frequency.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)