usps parcel post AGHHHHH

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
okay so I have a 360 coming from 3 hours away in coloumbus ohio........it has gone from coloumbus (shipped on the 26th) to pennsylvania, and left penn today...wonder if it will show up here htis week, lol....shipping is crazy sometimes, anyone else have problems with parcel post? I mean 3 days so far, for 3 hours away.

Sounds about right with a package but a letter would probably have shown up the next day. It takes 3 days for a letter to go one hour south of me to get to my landlord while something intown takes 2 days.

I mailed off a piority package to a member here last week and it showed up in 4 days after traveling close to 900 miles. If you want something fast and dont mind the expense then overnight it but keep in mind that the expense goes way way up he faster you want it to be somewhere. In my case it would have run close to $85 to send a 2lb package with $600 insurance and delivery confirmation overnight through usps as compared to the standard priority package delivery that came to $18.

That doesn't make any sense at all to ship it out of the state and back. They wasted money on the extra gas it costs them to do that.

Parcel Post is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to shipping. Basically, depending on the size of the package, if it fits nicely in the crates or baskets or whatever they're using, it can move fast. If it's larger and takes more handling, it may be set aside.

That doesn't make any sense at all to ship it out of the state and back. They wasted money on the extra gas it costs them to do that.

Actually, it saves them money. Everything at the post office goes into two bins, 'here' and 'everywehere else'. 'Everywhere else' goes to a regional sorting facility where it goes on trucks to be sent to the receiving person's sorting facility and then to their local post office. Cuts way down on the number of partially loaded trucks.

I'm waiting for a package (from ebay) mailed parcel post from Maine on 7/16. The tracking shows it in Massachussetts on 7/31. At this rate, it's going to be another month before it arrives in Montana.

OTOH, I ordered something Monday from Florida mailed Priority (same day) and had it on Wednesday.

Fortunately, the package mailed Priority was much more important than my wife's shoes (but YOU tell her that).

Tell that to UPS, FedEx, and other shippers. Almost all overnight and 2-day packages go to Louisville (UPS) or Memphis (FedEx) no matter their origin and destination. There are exceptions, but for example, a package sent from Dallas TX to Los Angeles will go all the way east to KY or TN and then back. Fact is, they can't look at each individual package (when dealing with thousands) and hand-sort it.

Same "spoke and hub" system the airlines use, and for the same reasons I presume. The means doesn't necessarily suit (or make sense) to the user, but the end is the same as with other means, ostensibly at lower cost. And that's always what it's about where the private sector is concerned. Now as far as the USPS goes...?!?

I don't dig the USPS/Fedex parcel post,package starts in St Louis,Mo goes to Kentucky then Ohio then backwards to me here in Tejas:rolleyes:

Waste of fuel and efficiency!
Hire a private courier or even a cab to pick up your package and "custom" deliver it to you. You can be certain they'll take the most direct route, so as not to waste fuel and efficiency. Let us know how that costs too...

What the real "problem" is is that we can see the route it takes to get to us. If we couldn't, we couldn't question their logic. In the end though, the package still arrives on time 90+ % of the time.

As one who has sold nad shipped over 5,000 items on eBay and shipped almost every package, shipping methods are very important to me, since it determines the marketability of my sales and my bottom line and profit margin.

The shipping "paradigm" changes all the time and the choices are not always based on logic. prior to the last two postal rate changes, I was abale to offer shipping of some packages of up to 4 pounds by air to the UK for as little as $6. Selecting the right package, I could save as much as $20.

One seller shipped a package to me from Colorado to South Carolina for $7 by Parcel Post. I could have done the same by Priority Mail for $4.75.

In the case of a x-box shipped 90-200 miles, UPS would have been the best option.

I've shipped 70 pounds of lead sinkers to Hawwaii from South Carolina to Hawaii for $9.25 by Priority Mail. UPS would have cost $120.

Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)