Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
The NBC affiliate is bringing CBS to the Utica market
http://www.wktv.com/news/business/WKTV_bringing_CBS_affiliation_to_Utica.html

Utica, NY viewers are about to have their own CBS affiliate for the first time in more than 50 years. Heartland Media, owners of WKTV, CW11, and MeTV-Utica, will launch the local, Utica-based CBS Utica 2 from its Deerfield studios next month.

Now, the Utica market, which includes residents in Herkimer, Oneida, and Otsego counties, will be able to receive the latest news, weather, traffic, and school closing bulletins while they are watching the CBS network. They’ll also have direct access to news broadcasts from the Utica market’s #1 news operation, WKTV.

Adding a powerhouse network like CBS to our already market-leading lineup of networks is a huge win for our station, but more importantly our viewers and advertisers,” said Heartland Media CEO Bob Prather. “We’re providing CBS programming for the first time in more than 5 decades to nearly 10,000 viewers in the Utica area who weren’t cable or satellite subscribers. It’s just another example of our commitment to the area.”

The last time that CBS had a Utica market presence was also on WKTV. WKTV carried programming from four networks when it signed on in 1949, but since the mid-1950’s, CBS wasn’t broadcast from Utica and was only available from stations outside the market.

WKTV and Heartland’s powerful channel array now includes:
  • CBS Utica 2 will broadcast over the air on Channel 2.2, beginning November 22nd and be carried on cable and satellite after that.
  • WKTV-NBC, the overwhelmingly dominant television station in the Utica market, will continue to broadcast on Channel 2.1 over the air and its regular satellite and cable channels.
  • Heartland’s Utica CW11 service will move to channel 2.3 over the air and hold its current cable and satellite positions. The CW signal will soon be in HD on local Time Warner Cable systems.
  • Me-TV Utica will be seen on channel 2. 4 over the air. Time Warner Cable has now launched ME-TV in Utica channel 1245

Oof
4 stations on one RF station.....If they do put CBS as HD it will be 720p. Thats tough putting 2 HD and 2 SD stations....hopefully they have some good encoders (or they will starve the CW & Me stations bandwidth wise)

station launched back in late November but is SD as folks have asked when/if it will go HD (the 2-2 CBS affiliation)

They maybe are waiting on the encoder or something

What is really frustrating is when a station gives a HD feed to cable and satellite but the only thing available OTA is SD. The market down the road from me (Mankato,MN) they are a 1 station market (CBS/FOX). Directv, Charter and Consolidated all have a HD feed for FOX yet OTA its 480i widescreen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)