UVerse 802.11n?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Not unless they've changed since I got mine

The 2Wire Home Gateway they provided me supports G but not N. Still pretty nice since I didn't pay anything extra for it. They also gave me an 8 port wired network switch at no charge since the 4 ports on the 2Wire box weren't enough for my wired network.

By the way, the highest speed internet service on U-Verse is 10 mbps which is much less than the 54 mbps of 802.11g, so the only reasons I know that n would be more useful would be if you wanted to have greater range or transfer data between other devices on the wireless net that support speeds above 54 mbps.

Last edited:
I struggled with the same question before going with Uverse; I was planning on using my wireless N router within the uverse network, since it was a wireless G, and not "N"

Once it was hooked up, my wireless speeds were VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL to to my wired speed,(I have the new 18 Meg download speed), so I didn't bother using it, and sold it on Ebay!

As cab driver said, since "G" supports speeds up to 54 MBPS, the Uverse Gateway should be fine for quite awhile..

Thanks. The 'n' is only useful for me when I do backups from my laptop to my main desktop, so I guess I wouldn't be giving up very much by going back to 'g'. Can you get an install with them and keep your existing router in place, or do you have to use their router?

the router is the gateway. You could use your router behind it, but it can be a pain if they both do DHCP, etc.

I just let them put the new RG in place, and reconfigured it to use the addressing I was using in the house already.

It's a very nice box (the Gateway, that is).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)