vacation home

Status
Please reply by conversation.

quaffin1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2005
Does anyone know if there is a difference between Dishnetwork and DirectTV when it comes to taking your spare rcvr on weekend trips to a 2nd home.
As far as problems go with getting things to work.

I currently have Dishnetwork and have been taking rcvr to vacation home now
for 5+ years, with little or no issues. I installed the dish500 at vacation home.

I am looking to upgrade Dish500 system to HD, so will need new rcvrs and new dish installed at both locations.

In any case I will likely have to self install the new HD dish at the vacation home.

With current promos, it would actually be cheaper to switch to DirectTV.
(free primary install and programming discounts for 1st year)
I'm just not sure if there is any difference in how moving the rcvr back and forth is with Direct verses Dishnetwork.

Once you get the dish setup, it's no big deal at all. Just a matter of hooking up the receiver and waiting for it to finish the initial start up. And as fleetfarmer said, don't plug in the phone line.

Well here we go again I just purchased a slimline 3s dish at one home and the other home has a 3lnb 18x20. I tried bringing up a standard receiver and using it on the 3lnb dish and had no luck it had signal trouble. Can I not use the receiver with the older dish. Help !!!!

After the receiver boots you may have to wait upwards of 5 minutes before the menu button will give you the option to Repeat Satellite Setup.

Then change the satellite config to the 3 LNB - NOT slimline-3. That will tell the receiver to retry using the older dish. When you go home, repeat with the setting it was on before you changed it.

Also may need to remove a BBC if it is connected to the receiver, though it may work with it anyway, not sure.

Well here we go again I just purchased a slimline 3s dish at one home and the other home has a 3lnb 18x20. I tried bringing up a standard receiver and using it on the 3lnb dish and had no luck it had signal trouble. Can I not use the receiver with the older dish. Help !!!!

When you said Well here we go again were you referring to someone highjacking another person's thread ?

I do this all the time.

You DO have to change the dish type in set up once it's hooked up.

Also make sure your 2nd dish is properly aligned for the location.

I have a slimline at home and a 3lnb at my other place. I take an SD receiver with me and it's no problem. I even get my locals more than 100 miles away from home. My vacation home is just inside the spotbeam coverage for my locals.

Good luck!

When I go into repeat sat. setup it will give me the option with the 3lnb dish, because if I try it with the slimline there is no option or am I doing something wrong. Should I change my zip code the distance is only 200 miles apart

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)