Status
Not open for further replies.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I have a Toshiba Laptop that I am looking to sell but I want to see what I can get out of it. It is a Toshiba Satellite A 70/75 206 Laptop with a 3.06 GHZ processor, 512 MB of memory, 15.4" wide screen, 60 GB hard drive, DVD RAM burner, wireless b/g card built in. It is a little over a year old. The hard drive needs replaced and it does not detect the battery. It retailed for around $1,600 new. The computer still comes on and I can still do the normal things with it but it requires me to reinstall windows often because the hard drive has bad sectors on it and eventually windows will not load.

For my day job, I'm the head laptop tech for a pretty good size company that resells used laptops. They buy them in bulk from leasing companies and then make sure they are fully refurbished before sold.

I would see if the same model/configuration has been sold on ebay recently. Get the average amount they have gone for and then take off some for the hard drive and the battery. Hopefully the battery is just bad instead of something on the mainboard where the battery connects.

Also you have consider in the mix how quick technology advances and how that affects the value of it.

Last edited:
Someone told me that he had it sold and that they were willing to give me $300 for it. Told the guy that I wanted $350 but he told me he could only get $300. I paid $350 for it when it was only six weeks old and the guy paid around $1500 for it (he was hard up for money - I already had a laptop and didnt really need it). I was hoping to at least break even at $350. I could at least get a new hard drive and use it the same as a desktop. The battery quit working when I took the battery out and then put it back on. I noticed a pin was bent and straightened it out and it did not work since. I tried moving some of the connector pins around a little but no go. It looks like there is a peice that can be replaced that the pins connects to. I just dont want to have to sell the laptop for real cheap if it can be fixed for a small amount and then I can sell it for a decent amount.

Well the closest one on Toshiba's site that I could find was

Satellite A75-S206
Mobile P4 518 (2.8GHz)/15.4”WXGA/512MB/60GB/DVD-CDRW/Mdm/LAN/Wi-Fibg/WinXP Home

I would link to the Product Support page but they use sessions to prevent deep linking a page.

I'll see if it will let me attach the PDF and you tell me if its the right model.

Also if it is just a bad battery and not the socket itself the battery it $144 from Toshiba. And Hard Drives would cost between $130 and $220 depending on size wanted.

Don't exspect to get a lot out of this model as Satellite's Toshiba's budget models

Attachments

• satellite_A75-S206.pdf
    121.2 KB · Views: 201
Laptop prices have come way down in the last year.

I bought a 15.4" Viewable Gateway with a DVD burner and built in wireless for $579 on Black Friday.... I've seen them on sale for $699 recently direct from Gateway.

I'd be surprised if it fetched more than $150 in its existing condition (a laptop harddrive runs $100-200 normally)

BobMurdoch said:
Laptop prices have come way down in the last year.

I bought a 15.4" Viewable Gateway with a DVD burner and built in wireless for $579 on Black Friday.... I've seen them on sale for $699 recently direct from Gateway.

I'd be surprised if it fetched more than $150 in its existing condition (a laptop harddrive runs $100-200 normally)
150?????? its 3.0 Ghz. Gotta be worth more than that.

sells for 1390 new and 780 used http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=3080421

Fix it and sell it for 700 -800 on ebay.

Last edited:
The brand new one that is fully functional only cost me $579 and that has a 3.0 GHz processor as well I believe.....

The non working hard drive is the problem...... That is a $200-$300 fix if you take it somewhere, and at least $100-150 fix if you do it yourself and reload al the software.

Sorry, didn't mean to give you bad news. I was shocked I paid so little for so much laptop myself......

If others are selling his model new for 1300 and used ones for almost 800 I am sure he can fix what he has and sell for 800. The HD is a 100 dollar fix. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822152502
The problem is the battery socket which could be expensive to fix or it could lead to other problems. The issue is not what you paid for yours but rather what he can get for his.

I would NEVER sell it for $150. I would keep it before I would do that. I can get a hard drive for it between $50-110 depending on if I got a used one or a new one and use it as a desktop if I never messed with the battery. I believe the battery is good, just the pins that come in contact with it is not coming in contact correctly. I could sell the battery and DVD burner and get $150 at least out of that alone. I can replace the hard drive myself, that is not hard to do. All you have to do is take a few screws out and place the other one in there then load the software back on it.

I have seen laptops come way down in price the past year myself but I have to ask myself how much I could get another laptop if I had to get one with the same specs to replace this one. I rarely use the battery in a laptop myself. I used it maybe two times so I know the battery didnt go dead. If I didn't already have a laptop I would probably just buy another hard drive for it and keep it as the battery issue is no big deal to me and use it as a portable desktop. I could just sell the battery if I can get $100 out of it and use that money to buy a hard drive for it.

On the other hand if I just go ahead and sell it for $350-400 then I could wait until the prices drop a little more if I were to buy another one to replace my Dell with. The DVD burner went out in my Dell so I need to find a place to get one of those cheap too. I had bad luck with both laptops in the same week seeing both experienced a hardware failure. The Dell laptop's DVD burner clicks and wont read the information off of the cd. If I ever have to restore my computer I would not be able to do it because I have no cd player to read the disc.

Last edited:
I have already sold it. I forgot to post that it was already sold a while back. Thanks for asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts