Verizon 4G nationwide outage

krauser1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Ever since last night my HTC Thunderbolt has been stuck in 1X. Woke up today with the same problem. After reading some Verizon forums, Verizon has acknowledged the problem with no ETA for it to be fixed.

This is from their Twitter account:
VerizonWireless Verizon Wireless
We're aware of an issue with #4G #LTE connections & our network engineers are working to resolve quickly. Will update here.
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Since this problem is LTE related, you can revert your Thunderbolt back to 3G EV-DO by doing the following:

##778#, call
Edit
Password: 000000
Go to Modem Settings
Select Rev A
Select your Menu softkey
Commit modifications

Phone will reboot and you can still use the 3G until this issue is resolved. Once fixed, follow the same steps and select eHSPD and it will put your radio back to 4G.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
You missed a # in the intial part there. I fixed it for you.

This is really making me mad that I have to do this.

If someone gets wind of this being back up please post it here.

Well I did this to my phone and now I can't send or receive text messages or make phone calls, but I have 3G data.:rant::rant:

I discovered this this morning but I couldn't even make a phone call. Had to call Verizon on my Magic Jack. This is beyond LTE because my wife's phones, one is the Blackberry won't work in 3G either. Just gets 1X as of noon and now we have phone service too. Wife said she was in meetings all morning and most of the afternoon so she missed the excitement.

The Verizon recorded message made it sound like it was just some phones and only local.

Must be all those iphone users crashed the Verizon Network good!

1X just went dead again. Looks like they have some serious problems.
NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Verizon Wireless said its 4G network was suffering from a wide-ranging outage Wednesday, and that it was still working to restore the connection.
It is the first major problem for Verizon's 4G wireless network, which was launched late last year. The incident is a black eye for a carrier that prides itself on the quality and stability of its network.
"Our 4G LTE customers are experiencing connection issues to the LTE network," said a Verizon spokesman. "We have determined the cause of our issue and are working with our major vendors to restore connections."
The spokesman didn't provide more detail, or say when the problem would be fixed, only that it would be restored on a market-by-market basis. He said more details on the timing would be provided when they become available.
Mike Gibson, a financial adviser based in Cornelius, N.C., purchased a 4G MiFi, which can create a mobile WiFi hotspot, as a replacement for his home DSL service. But the outage left his wife, who works from home, without access to the Internet.
"I've called several times," Gibson said. "All they'll tell you is they're working on it."
He said his MiFi began experiencing problems at 1 a.m. EDT on Wednesday.
Verizon Wireless said that 4G smartphones are still able to make calls and may experience a significantly slower Internet connection.
While there are instances of past minor outages from all of the wireless carriers, this marks the first for a network Verizon touts as "the most advanced 4G wireless network on the planet."

This was posted after the market closed.

I am going to call when it comes back up and demand they do something. This phone is the only phone I have and it has been up and down for just calls and texts all day and the data has been 1x

If still down, I will go by the Verizon center that does service and see what I can learn tomorrow. I told my wife, it feels like were living in a 3rd world country these days. When something goes down it takes a long time to get fixed.

Can't comment on 4G but, 3G working here on my Droid 1 and my BB curve. been texting, calling and tweeting all day on both.

Same here. My Droid X, and my wife's HTC, were fine on 3G all day. No 4G here and probably won't be for some time so we didn't miss anything.

My 3g is back to normal. (I'm out of a 4g area....but it was 1x when it was totally out.) Wondering if Verizon has fixed the Atlanta area 4g? Any T Bolts out there back on 4g?

At 3:30 AM the 4G is intermittent. At 3:15AM I had no service at all, not even phone. Now it is on for a second and then off, not long enough to download any e-mail yet.

I noticed my phone said 3G at about 10pm est here. I don't live in a 4G area, only work in one, so I have to wait til I get to work today to find out if it is back. I assume it is, because it was saying 1x all day.

Didn't notice any 3G issues yesterday, and I tethered for an hour. I guess problems are going to happen with a new network like LTE, you guys are just the early adopters and have to suffer through the growing pains.

My TBOLT is cycling now between no connection and LTE 4G. It actually was able to load the Google home page a few minutes ago. I'm not seeing 1X at all since last evening. Either no connection or 4G now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)