Verizon 4G nationwide outage

Ever since last night my HTC Thunderbolt has been stuck in 1X. Woke up today with the same problem. After reading some Verizon forums, Verizon has acknowledged the problem with no ETA for it to be fixed.

This is from their Twitter account:
VerizonWireless Verizon Wireless
We're aware of an issue with #4G #LTE connections & our network engineers are working to resolve quickly. Will update here.
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Since this problem is LTE related, you can revert your Thunderbolt back to 3G EV-DO by doing the following:

##778#, call
Edit
Password: 000000
Go to Modem Settings
Select Rev A
Select your Menu softkey
Commit modifications

Phone will reboot and you can still use the 3G until this issue is resolved. Once fixed, follow the same steps and select eHSPD and it will put your radio back to 4G.

Hope this helps.

The phones should be doing this automatically switch back to 3g when theLTE is down

The phones should be doing this automatically switch back to 3g when theLTE is down

Nope. The 3G that the 4G phones use is different. You can talk and surf at the same time so it is different and doesn't automatically switch when the 4G is totally down.

This is why AT&T is deploying an upgrade to HSPA+ before LTE goes active. It will give customers a much better network to revert to if LTE fails and the switchover will be automatic.

Now my next question: Has anyone contacted Verizon for any type of compensation for the outage? I'm not usually the one to complain even after a days outage like we had, but heck, this site/forum has been so helpful at getting discounts and promos that I figured I would give it a shot to see what Verizon is doing for LTE customers that were affected.

Ramy, I think you said you were going to see what they were going to do??

I called and got a $10 credit which isn't the greatest but was still better than nothing.

Since the outage ended I'm getting the fastest speed test results yet. 39.12Mbs down and 8.564 Mbs up. for Washington DC server.

Been working it most of the morning and my battery went to warning at 4 hrs 58 minutes. Swapped to my bigger (1600mAh) battery and put the original (1400 mAh)in the charger.

Ramy said:
I am going to call when it comes back up and demand they do something. This phone is the only phone I have and it has been up and down for just calls and texts all day and the data has been 1x

They'll just charge you a $10 monthly "4G is it working in your area" fee. :(

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys App

Ramy said:
I called and got a $10 credit which isn't the greatest but was still better than nothing.

What is it that you asked the csr? "What are you going to do for me?" Also, did you have to play csr roulette to get a credit?

What is it that you asked the csr? "What are you going to do for me?" Also, did you have to play csr roulette to get a credit?

I just called and asked them what they were going to do for us customers that had the Thunderbolt that was pretty much unusable and he did some figuring and then just gave me $10. It was the first person I talked to.

its pretty typical of most companies when they know they had an outage or something of the sorts to hand out credit like candy with no fuss. They usually base the amount on the length of the outage vs your monthly cost. Example you pay 30$ a month so thats 1$ a day. A 3 day outage will yield about 3 bucks. Sometimes they will give a touch more just to round things off.

I've had 3g on my tbolt in a strong 4g area. From what I read, people are not even able to activate their 4g devices right now. Sorry, Christmas customers!

It is very interesting the phones you guys have aren't automatically rolling back to the next available network; mine does. The phone is never totally out nor do I have to go into any settings to make it work.