Verizon (UTStarcom) XV6700 has arrived!

Did some research and found this one which appeared to be the only one with good references for WM5 and certified for XV6700 in their list of compatible devices. Price was ~$20 at Handango after discounts.

Airscanner

Has antivirus with auto updates, firewall option and data encryption.

I bought the firewall option too.

Just a Few Questions

Hi Guys I got It. Just a few Questions. It is SOOO much smaller than My I-700.

What case do you use? This little Pouch just doesn't work for me. I'm looking for a belt clipped Case. Verizon is sold out in the stores and in fulfillment.

I can't find my GPS software or the USB cable so I guess I left it at work. I'll have to wait till Monday unless I decide to go up there and go through the trouble of unlocking the Gate and turning off the alarm to enter the building. I don't know.

One of the things that bugs me is when I have the Keyboard open and click on a Text Box and the Friggin On screen keyboard comes Up. Is there a fix for this that you have found? On the handhelds At work HHP Dolphin 9500's & 7900's I have a program called "No Sip" It works on PPC 2003. But I don't want to Screwup my new toy. Do you think it will work?

Thanks in Advance,
Christopher E. Garrett

I have not yet purchased a case for my XV6700. I custom modified my ipaq6315 belt case for a Motorola HS850 and a spare battery so I'm using it. Took a bit of sewing to add the additional pockets. There are several case companies around and many generic cases. They range from about $30 to $150 so take your time and shop around. Haven't noticed the onscreen KB issue you have.

http://www.cases.com/ppc6700.htm try this for starters.

For GPS mounting with speaker amp and latest BT receivers:

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=817

Last edited:
NEWS:

Windows Mobile 5 users have missed the Sprite backup program they had with WM2003 but as of Feb 7, Sprite has released it's WM5 version from beta. It seems to be fairly stable but will cost you some $$ at $29.95. IMO, it is well worth it. There are some conditions where you may be elgible for a $15 rebate from Sprite depending on when you purchased Sprite v3.1

I had tested another product but unfortunately it was a trial version and the developer made it very difficult to register and were essentially non-responsive. It could have been a language issue as it was a Cech company and website. Sprite was easy and the install went smoothly as it should be.

One thing I did see missing is the ability to trigger an automatic backup when your battery gets to a predetermined low %. Maybe they will add this to a future update but it is missing from the first release.

You can set the backup to save the files to the storage card folder and have the option to keep several daily automatic backups. Compression is about 2:1 and the process seems quite fast.

From personal experience, not having a backup on your PDA is a very dangerous thing. I needed mine many times on the IPAQ. It also allows you the option of using hard reset and then restore all your programs. When you install new software and it causes problems, you can easily reset the device and restore from a backup just prior to installation for fast recovery. IMO, PDA usage is more vulnerable to crashes than your desktop and backups can save you much time when in the field away from your laptop or place where you last synced. Besides, Active sync is not the best backup substitute but if you set that up right it is at least some form of recovery, just not as efficient and not as local as is the Sprite backup from your storage card in the PDA itself.

HAck needed WiFi

Scott Greczkowski said:
Here is the hack to enable Wifi and the phone at the same time.

It also contains the hack which turns you phone into a modem as well as the cell phone modem driver for windows. (And you can use the phone as a modem over Bluetooth or the USB cable) :)

Loaded MultiIssue Fixer on XV6700 phone. I cannot seem to get both WI-Fi and the Phone to work at the same time.

When I go to “Wireless Manager” under programs (WM5) and choose “phone on/off” and then “Wi-Fi (icon) on/off” choosing either one

will shut the other one off. I tried turning on W-Fi then dialing my phone, the phone answers only in V mail, so I know the phone portion is off.

How do I use both the phone function and Wi-Fi at the same time. What settings must I make? I have Verizon as carrier.

I followed your instructions “Important Instructions.txt” on installation.

Regards,

Stephen

Make sure active sysnc is not on...

Then click on the signal strength bar. And you will see an option Turn on Wifi.

You can not turn it on through the wireless manger.

Took me awhile to figure this out as well. :)

"Make sure active sysnc is not on...

Then click on the signal strength bar. And you will see an option Turn on Wifi. "

I did that. I tapped on the antenna at the top of the Today screen while the phone was on. No wifi option. Then I tapped on the EV just to the left and there was an option to turn on wifi. I did that and then the Phone went to ^x or OFF

Still does not work. When you said signal strength bar did you mean the one at the top of the Today screen?

Scott- I found another hack in the registry editor that is purported to do the same thing. I will try this and see if it works. If so I will post it here.

My phones battery is dead and my charger and USB cable are at home.

When I have it working I will write you guys step by step instructions. :)

Scott- I got it working now. I used the hack I found. It was much easier than the one you supplied. Here it is:

I used a freeware reg editor to go to the following:

Go to key: HKLM/Services/WirelessMgr (took me awhile to find it as that description is not inclusive)

Find a key called 'MutexFlag'

Change it's value from '1' to '0'

(Note- there was a key called MuteexFlag = '0' as well above it. Not sure what that was but it may have been added by your multiissue hack and not working. I left it alone.)

Then exit out of the editor and I soft rebooted.

When the phone returned, I just tapped on the EV and selected turn on the wifi and this time the Phone remained on. I now have it working with both. :)

edit noteNote- Also, you can access the on -off of the phone, Blue Tooth and Wifi from that wireless screen as well. It all works with that one little registry change. However, I discovered there may be a priority issue of conflict. It seems that the way to turn on both it to first make the wifi connection with the phone off, then, turn the phone on. When I tried to turn on wifi from that screen with the phone on, it acted like it turned on but remained in EV mode and tried to connect to the internet via EVDO even though the wifi was on. If all you see is a little tower in the screen then I don't believe wifi will work and it reverts to EVDO. If you have wifi connection, ie Tower plus the arrows then it connects via wifi.

I'll be NOT surprised if the battery goes to crap in a hurry with all 3 services active. My main reason, however to have this feature is to be able to access the wifi speed here in the office while sitting in the charging cradle. That way I won't be at a disadvantage like you are now.

I keep the big battery that sticks out the back in all the time. I carry the original spare fully charged and it's mateing cover in my belt pack. I also bought my wife a cradle and USB charging cable for the car and her desk at work. She knows the PDA battery life is a real limitation as compared to her cell phone from before. She caught on fast and now I see she never puts the phone down on a table, she always puts it down in a charging cradle. A good habit but only because she has three charging stations at her disposal. Desk, Kitchen and car. I also bought her a second Treo battery she keeps in her purse. The last thing I want to hear from her is she missed an appointment because her PDA went dead in the field.

"edit" Update- After just 4 hours, having blue tooth, phone and wifi features running, the battery has lost 70% of it's capacity and this is with the large battery option. I can imagine how fast it would be used up with the standard battery. So, as I suspected, the only time you would want to activate wifi and phone and BT for any length of time is when you are powered by external source. Or, just activate the wifi for brief times to download or do some fast web surfing that is definitly faster than the EVDO for long sustained data. The main advantage here is now you don't need to miss a call when you ar4e downloading a file off of wifi. Even with EVDO, you can't take a call and use the EVDO data transfer at the same time so this feature is definitly worth turning on and its just not efficient to use on battery for long periods of time.

Last edited:
SPB Software house has just announced their windows Mobile 5 Backup application that will save a backup CAB to your storage card. It restores without the application. $19.95

I'd give it a try but Sprite does the same thing and I already purchased theirs. My PDA keeps a major backup in a folder and then does an auto full backup each day at 4:00 AM. This is a nice program and is well worth the money.

Ah hem ... Scott old buddy-

In that same thread, it is documented that the hack doesn't work for wifi and phone simultaneously and why it doesn't. A typo in the code. Coincidentally, they found the exact same error I did in the registry file and fixed it.

See:

"Hey Zam nice find! Just wanted to give you a little heads up - you have a typo in your setup.xml file

<characteristic type="HKLM\Services\WirelessMgr">
<parm name="MuteexFlag" value="0" datatype="integer" />

it should be 'MutexFlag'

Besides that nice work!!! Got anymore interesting codes?

For everyone else -

Wifi and Phone @ same time

Go to key: HKLM/Services/WirelessMgr

Find a key called 'MutexFlag'

Change it's value from '1' to '0' "

Bottom line- all you need to do is the simple 1 to 0 change and you can enable both. Don't need the Multiissue cab unless you want the BT DUN fix.

I got my extended battery today from Verizon, it included the BLACK battery cover. :) $69 was not that bad of a price I guess.

I really love this phone :D

Attachments

• btaudio.zip
    4.3 KB · Views: 86
Scott- I am still using your trick. Works flawlessly with my Motorola HS-850 and my Logitec BT headset.

Start the media player playing through the speaker on the phone and then I just tap the button on the BT headset and it switches automatically to the headset.

Additionally, there have been several developments on the registry to enhance the volume from BT as well as Voice Command.

If you want to enhance your PIE on your windows Mobile device, check out Macromedia's Flash Player 6 for windows Mobile. I installed it carefully according to the instructions to the main storage memory, not SD memory. (On the XV6700 and the Treo700w there is plenty of storage memory to spare.) Now all the websites that have flash animations will play them with sound.

One of the funniest ones I have now is a cartoon from www.bobrivers.com website. www.toonedin.com/cheney.html Once it loads, takes a minute or so with EVDO, you see a cartoon with "PLAY" Just tap on that part of the cartoon and it plays well even in full screen. (WARNING- This is a contemporary humor cartoon with political overtones) But is a great Fash demo of this plugin for PIE.
Of course, once you add Flash plugin to PIE It opens a whole new world of internet capability to your PDA / Smartphone running windows OS.

New Batteries for XV6700-

Mugan power has just released two new higher density batteries to enhance run time on the XV6700.

Existing stock- is 1350mah
Mugan equivalent- 1500mah

Existing extra power battery- 1800mah (varies depending mfg.)
Mugan extended battery with cover- 2200mah

They are also talking about a new one that is extra large to be 3000mah.

http://www.lionbattery.com/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)