Verizon (UTStarcom) XV6700 has arrived!

Don Landis said:
Of course, once you add Flash plugin to PIE It opens a whole new world of internet capability to your PDA / Smartphone running windows OS.
Now only if it would support java life would be good. This is one thing the Treo650 could do that this phone can't.

I have to use Opera Browser for java aps.

Scott- you, with your knowledge of this stuff, should dig deep into the registry and examine those entries for PIE. I saw many lines with "java" listed but the key for those was 0 so it was shut off. Could it be that Microsoft is about to break an update to PIE that will support java and it just is not ready tyet but some features have been preentered for the beta testors? I'm just speculating here and have no info or even rumors so don't want to start any false scuttle.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Here is a program which redirects audio to your bluetooth headset. :)

Works well.

You have BT On which turned the audio redirection to the Bluetooth Headset On.

BT OFF which turns the redirection off.

And BT toggle (which is the one I use) toggles it from on to off (or off to on) in one program.

http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54951&highlight=wm5+button+assign
Works like a champ on my 8125 as well :).

I tried the 'push the button' trick. I got audio while the voice dial was trying to do it's thing, but then it would cut off. BT toggle works great!

Shawn

Best to buy your data plan bundled with a package deal with phone service and family plans than to buy isolated, or a la carte. These carriers are very clever as they bundle deals. In addition, selecting a carrier with poor coverage just to save 15 bucks a month is, IMO, not smart either.

eg. I had T-mobile which was the worst for reliability and coverage up and down the east coast. Since switching to Verizon, I have yet in 7 weeks to drop a call or experience crappy communications quality. With T-Mobile, I would drop a call 20% of the time. T-mobile is cheaper but Verizon works! Verizon has other issues, I don't like but the higher rates I pay seem cheaper considering the reliability.

It seems like the answer button for the bluetooh headest is something that is standard now. I was using it today, just push the button and the sound goes to the headset. The only thing I want now and was PMing scott today about is adding the headset button to the buttons menu so I can assign voice command to it. Because right now you have to still grab the phone and pick an assigned button to activate the command.

BFG-

There is a hack for this and that process is spelled out in a lengthy thread on

http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57066

But be sure to read the entire thread and associated links. The problem with this and many hacks is these are, of course, unsupported and often come with hidden issues that get created in the process, that, you will be left to discover. So, I give you this with the ubiquitous caveat emptor!

I also discovered a blog from Microsoft some time back that discusses the specific reason why MS Voice command software specifically does not allow you to operate the Voice command from the blue tooth headset. The link to that may be in that thread somewhere but you'll have to find it because I don't recall it. Here is the theme of what was discusses in that Blog from the MS Voice Command software engr:
Blue tooth uses only an 8 bit audio transfer file process and in order for Voice Command to recognize the audio words it relies on 16 bit audio resolution. VC developers found that the 8 bit audio of BT was just too coarse for the VC to work properly and therefore don't allow this to function. It was a choice between compromise of poor recognition and BT featureset. They chose not to allow BT because it would generate errors too often

OK, that makes lots of sense, yet the hackers have discovered a way for this to work. I suppose that having a perfect environment, background noise free and using the finest quality BT headset would offer better recognition but as I stated earlier, this and other hacks are often given with some gotchas you will be left to discover.

This also begs the question about using BT for other audio relays. While I enjoy listening to podcasts in monaural thin BT quality, what about listening to mp3 music via BT in those new stereo head phones? Seems that music is more a function of high quality sound than just understanding the voice. Why would I want to listen to mp3 music at 8 bit 5Khz sound? I guess until a new BT standard goes into effect, making the 1.2 version we have in out phones today obsolete, we are stuck with this limitation and compromise.

One hack, kinda, I saw on that forum you may find convenient and I just added it here is the Voice mail hands free hack-

Verizon and sprint like you to tap in your Passcode in order to check your messages- The hack is to have the pass code entered into the dial up for you so when you call it by pushing 1 and holding it down until it dials, it calls: *86ppxxxx#
This generates a pause twice and adds the passcode xxxx after it answers and you go straight to your messages. I know that when driving and I called VM it was always an annoying nuisance to have to pick up the phone and enter it. Now I just have to say call voice mail with the VC button and it goes to messages. or in a noisy environment, push and hold 1 on the keypad.

Have fun! :)

Yeah I read the hacks and I don't think it's something I want to try on this persons phone I was using. I think I'll just have to explain to the person that hey you still have to pull out your phone with VC but at least you dont have to grab the stylus and punch the numbers.

That's weird if that as MS reason for the bluetooth. Because we turned on the BT and talked into it and it recognized our voices just fine.

The mic on the phone is not bit rate restricted, when you used MS VC it went through the phone mic even when BT was activated unless you have executed the hack.

Ok, everyone's raving about this phone. Has anyone moved from a PalmOS (SPH-I500) phone to this one, and if so, comments?

I'm thinking about it :) (the Sprint PPC-6700 version).

LER-

If you're using the Samsung now, you will have a bit of adjustment in that your device is more of a phone and less of a PDA. The 6700 is more PDA and less phone. It's been awhile since I used a real cell phone formfactor but my wife reminded me that swtching to her Treo 700w, the biggest adjustment was that it didn't have the simplicity of opening it up and dialing a number because the keypad was burried in the qwerty keyboard. Otherwise it was about the same. However, she really likes having her e-mail (semi) pushed to the phone and the ability to have complete internet freedom to jump to a client's website and look up some data. She never wants to go back to a basic phone. I think the Treo 650 and your i500 gives you some basics in PDA but the PPC6700 will expand your capability along the lines of PDA / internet / wifi lan / and personal entertainment use. The main advantage is that while Palm OS was excellent, it was not prolific. With MW5 you'll have hundreds of apps more to select from. Palm is being quite silent on whether it will release a new version of it's now 3 year old OS. Instead, they have only hinted that they may produce a Palm OS version of the Treo700. IMHO, I don't see why as the 650 is probably that now, but users all hope that when a 700P is released it will have more robust features to compete with WM5. Palm is not talking. So if you want to remain Palm, the 650 is quite the bargain. Your i500 appears to be the 650 palm with a phone form factor. The 700w is great for the business user but while my wife loves it, both Scott and myself found it to be too limited in memory to do what we wanted. Thus the 6700 which is available from both Verizon and Sprint. I went with Verizon because of their superior coverage in the areas I travel. I came from T-Mobile so it was a huge jump in reliability for me.

The biggest negative I've been hearing lately on the Sprint side is they just released a new rom upgrade for the 6700. Unfortunately many users are having some disappointment in this release that it has caused a few problems with their 3rd party aps that once worked and a few claim that it negated the sound volume enhancements they implemented (hacks) in the registry. Compared to Verizon, the hacks do work. The major limitation of the stock phone was the inability to use the wifi and the EVDO network at the same time. Explanation- you only use one at a time for the network but if you had selected wifi, then your cell phone was off, sending all calls to the Voice mail. With the simple hack in the registry you can easily operate wifi and receive and make phone calls at the same time. The Sprint service allowed the simultaneous use of wifi and phone so no hack was needed.

Thanks, Don.

I've been an AVID Palm user since the PalmPro (PalmOS 2) days. I dropped back from a Tungsten T (5.0) to the SPH-I500 because I wanted to carry ONE device.

PalmOS 4.1 is starting to show it's age, and the non-expandability of the I500 is also starting to be an issue.

Questions:
1) can you dial ANY number from the contacts with one tap?
2) how good is the Outlook integration?
3) for the sprint folks: is the new ROM fixing or breaking things?
4) would you make the switch?

LER

1) a Tap "Contacts" on the screen
b Select your contact
c tap on the contact to place the call

That's how I do it and I have about 600 contacts. With Voice command just activate the mic and say: call "contact name" and if there are more than one number for a contact you'll have to say mobile or work or home etc to specify. I use Voice Command and it will announce your inbound call too so you don't need to see the screen for caller ID. Plus you can ask to launch an application as well.

2. Outlook? Depends on what you're looking for. Blackberry push e-mail, not yet wait for Eserver SP2 then it will. Now it works with folders and other Outlook style sync, schedules, calendar tasks etc.

3. I suppose it depends on what they needed and what is not now working.

4. I made the switch from an Ipaq 6315 on T-mobile to the XV6700 on Verizon and the results are well worth the increase in rates for 50 times faster internet and phone calls that NEVER, never,NEVER drop. T-mobile would drop a call about 40% of the time.

Last edited:
I use wireless sync to sync my outlook from home to my phone. It works well I am notified about new emails a few seconds after I get them on my desktop.

The Rom upgrade for sprint has shown some nice improvement is the EDVO speed which has gone up for 400k to 800 - 1 mb speeds constant. :D

I can't wait for the Rom upgrade for the verizon.

stuart628 said:
scott do you have the 49 unlimited data plan? if so thoughts on that?
Yes I do, for me its a lifesaver as I can check and fix the server from almost anywhere (and if I can't I can cal LER and yell HELP!) :D

My T Mobile contract is up the beginning of May and I'm gonna order the Verizon 6700 soon. I was at Circuit City over the weekend and they had a working model that I played with for awhile and I REALLY wanted to walk out with it right there.

Looking forward to it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)