Verizon Wireless service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
My wife and I are thinking of switching from AT&T Wireless to Verizon Wireless.

My company gives us a little bit better discount with VZW than we get with AT&T.

The thing I like about the VZW plans is they have an unlimited data/text plan that covers the entire family plan, unlike AT&T Wireless.

I'm looking at getting the LG Voyager phone. I currently use an 8525.

How is the service with Verizon Wireless? My phone has a known habit of randomly dropping calls. 2 replacements and several calls later and it does the same thing.

Does anyone here use the Voyager phone?

I don't have that phone (although it looks cool) but I have had VZ for several years and really haven't had any problems with dropped calls. I have the LG VX8600 and love it. My last two phones have been LG's also, and I've never had any problems with the quality of the phones. My wife has a RAZR and always comments about how my phone is so much more "solid" than hers.

The other thing I love is that they do "New Every Two" where they give you the new customer 2 year price minus an extra $100 credit toward a new phone every two years (actually every 22 months), so you can upgrade to most phones for free or at a really good discounted rate. I think that only works for the "main" phone on your account if you're doing a family plan, though. The others would just get the 2 year price.

I had a couple of billing issues, but they were like 3 or 4 years ago, and havent' had any problems since - they do a good job, even with the discount I get for my service (also from my company).

Well, I called to inquire on service and with the price they gave me we'd actually save approx $50 a month with my discount over what we get with AT&T now.

You will lose the rollover feature by moving to Verizon- but that might not be of value to you.

50 bucks is 50 bucks. I'm with Cingular/AT&T but Verizon is good too. I wouldn't go with other companies, especially for nationwide travel.

Not really. We didn't utilize all of our minutes and actually accumulated over 2500 rollover minutes at one point.

Huh? The plans cost the same for everyone and you actually get a $100 better price than someone off the street can get if you're willing to wait 22 months betweeen phones.
The phones are similarly priced, but only for new customers - existing customers pay a premium. I would have to cancel my current plans (not under contract) and have my wife sign up as a new customer in order get a better price on the hardware. Additionally, the SERO data service plan is about half (based on our usage) of what we would pay to keep Verizon Wireless. Our Verizon Wireless service has been excellent over the years...it's just a little too expensive IMO.

How is the service with Verizon Wireless? My phone has a known habit of randomly dropping calls. 2 replacements and several calls later and it does the same thing.
Service is great. I left Cingular for the same reason. Crappy service/signal and dropped calls after several phone replacements. That was 20 months ago. I have had two calls drop in that 20 months and those were when I was out in the middle of nowhere. VZW rocks. Hell, there is a 30 day guarantee. Go get a phone and try it out. Don't like it, take it back. If you like it, then port your existing phone numbers over to it.

Remember not to cancel your old service until AFTER your numbers are ported or you might lose them.

The phones are similarly priced, but only for new customers - existing customers pay a premium. I would have to cancel my current plans (not under contract) and have my wife sign up as a new customer in order get a better price on the hardware. Additionally, the SERO data service plan is about half (based on our usage) of what we would pay to keep Verizon Wireless. Our Verizon Wireless service has been excellent over the years...it's just a little too expensive IMO.

How long have you had that contract? All contracts started after like 2002 or 2003 have had "New Every Two" included automatically, and even if you didn't you can get the normal, "off the street" two year price if you sign up for another two year contract.

If you're talking about just walking in and buying a phone without a contract, you're right - the phones are very expensive. But who does that? And name a carrier that wouldn't charge you more in that situation. The last two phones I've got have either been free or $100 less than the 2 year new customer price, and I've been with them going on 8 years now.

How long have you had that contract? All contracts started after like 2002 or 2003 have had "New Every Two" included automatically, and even if you didn't you can get the normal, "off the street" two year price if you sign up for another two year contract.
We've been with Verizon Wireless for 7+ years. You're correct, the phones aren't too much more with the discount and, if Verizon could offer a 500 minute package with unlimited data and text messaging for $30, I would gladly stay with them.

Verizon costs more but it works like a landline in nearly all the places I have tried it, including Grand Cayman. I switched from T-Mobile for service reasons. Verizon data network is the most reliable and fastest in the nation, maybe the world. Sprint is not far behind but the footprint is smaller. You'll save more with Sprint unless you need wider coverage.

We've been with Verizon Wireless for 7+ years. You're correct, the phones aren't too much more with the discount and, if Verizon could offer a 500 minute package with unlimited data and text messaging for $30, I would gladly stay with them.

You're right - the phones aren't "too much more" - they're actually much less. I'm still not sure where you're getting that idea from.

Just out of curiosity, who does offer the deal you're quoting?

You're right - the phones aren't "too much more" - they're actually much less. I'm still not sure where you're getting that idea from.

Just out of curiosity, who does offer the deal you're quoting?
The link to the Sprint Employee Referal Offer (SERO) was in the 3rd post, which you later quote in the 4th post. Anyway, here is the link. http://www.satelliteguys.us/compute...0874-got-sprint-mogul-6800-only-288-99-a.html

I stopped by Verizon after work and they didn't make an attempt to match the SERO or offer any additional discounts. The price of two XV6800 phones is $299 at both locations, with discounts. However, the cost of two 500 minute calling plans with unlimted web/text is $60, plus tax, with Sprint vice more than twice the price with Verizon.

We enjoyed the Verizon service the past few years, but we've tried the Sprint service and it works fine too...and I was in several states through the mid-atlantic, mid-west, TX, and CA. I would probably keep Verizon if I traveled more often or used it for business. However, I would rather keep the 1500 or so extra dollars over the life of the contract.

The link to the Sprint Employee Referal Offer (SERO) was in the 3rd post, which you later quote in the 4th post. Anyway, here is the link. http://www.satelliteguys.us/compute...0874-got-sprint-mogul-6800-only-288-99-a.html

I stopped by Verizon after work and they didn't make an attempt to match the SERO or offer any additional discounts. The price of two XV6800 phones is $299 at both locations, with discounts. However, the cost of two 500 minute calling plans with unlimted web/text is $60, plus tax, with Sprint vice more than twice the price with Verizon.

We enjoyed the Verizon service the past few years, but we've tried the Sprint service and it works fine too...and I was in several states through the mid-atlantic, mid-west, TX, and CA. I would probably keep Verizon if I traveled more often or used it for business. However, I would rather keep the 1500 or so extra dollars over the life of the contract.

Sorry - I admit, I didn't go to that link.

My question was more on the idea that (I thought) you were positing: that VZ charges existing customers more for new phones than they do for new customers. If that's not what you were saying, I apologize for my misunderstanding.

Sorry - I admit, I didn't go to that link.

My question was more on the idea that (I thought) you were positing: that VZ charges existing customers more for new phones than they do for new customers. If that's not what you were saying, I apologize for my misunderstanding.
We used to get a lot better "incentives" from Verizon in the past. Those days stopped a couple years ago. I feel they are still the far better wireless provider around, but not worth passing up the Sprint SERO offer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts