Versus and Golf HD get their own channel, and E! HD on the way

js6425

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2007
Milwaukee, WI
From EngadgetHD:

Versus and the Golf Channel have been sharing an HD channel for some time and both have evidently graduated to the point that they're getting their own channel. This seemed like a pretty good combo to us, as we don't see much golf on at night, but we suppose some want to watch bicycle races during the day. What isn't very clear is if the current carriage deals will need to be reworked, of if everyone who has the combo now will automatically get the two dedicated channels when launched. On a who cares note -- E! is getting the HD treatment which we'll file right up there with Lifetime HD, but hey, at least maybe it'll help some poor sap talk his wife into a new HDTV.

Versus and Golf HD get their own channel, and E! HD on the way - Engadget HD

Wonder if we'll see these on E* anytime "soon"?

"Soon"?

Not "real" soon--the story said December.

Notwithstanding that, I'm already looking forward to seeing European Golf in HD. Seeing the golf courses in Wales, Scotland, England, Ireland, France, Germany, Spain, China, etc. is a real treat, and will be even better in Hd.

Thanks for the news catch and post.

Fitzie

Actually, E! is one of the few channels keeping me from going to the HD Only package. We only watch The Soup, but it's a must.

E! actually used to do HD simulcasts on INHD...probably of their stupid red carpet shows.

Bicycle races in HD are a long way off. The bandwidth needed to transmit HD from motorcycle cavalcade to helicopter to tower is unfathomable. It is a shame we have to wait for Graham Watson's photos to see cycling in HD, but that is reality.

Actually, E! is one of the few channels keeping me from going to the HD Only package. We only watch The Soup, but it's a must.

E! actually used to do HD simulcasts on INHD...probably of their stupid red carpet shows.

I do miss "The Soup" since switching to HD Only. Always good for laughs.

It is nice to see that somebody cares about this; yawn. Now give me Fox News in HD, which is already available, and the 3 Starz HD channels D* gets, and I'll be a happy camper. To me the Golf channel and Versus are right up there with the World Fishing Network in HD.

Add terrain and trees.
News choppers are sending live HD video back to the broadcast station of car chases and people chases, the terrain and tree problem is not a problem. This has been going on for 3 years now. Bicycle races could be broadcast in HD today, if they wanted to. That's the real problem. Broadcasters are very relectantly upgrading. Joe Sixpack is content to use the stretch/zoom button.

News choppers are sending live HD video back to the broadcast station of car chases and people chases, the terrain and tree problem is not a problem. This has been going on for 3 years now. Bicycle races could be broadcast in HD today, if they wanted to. That's the real problem. Broadcasters are very relectantly upgrading. Joe Sixpack is content to use the stretch/zoom button.
I, for one, can not stand stretched bicycles or automobiles. I am so used to seeing both real time that it gives me vertigo. It would be nice to view the World Feed like SPEED HD/Fox does with F1. Forecast is for rain on Sunday in France, rebroadcast on Fox at 1PM.

It is nice to see that somebody cares about this; yawn. Now give me Fox News in HD, which is already available, and the 3 Starz HD channels D* gets, and I'll be a happy camper. To me the Golf channel and Versus are right up there with the World Fishing Network in HD.

I agree with you about Golf and Versus, but ANY news channel in HD is right up there with WFN-HD.........

Since you took this off topic..........let me follow you with my own off-topic post ;)

Never thought I would say this. I rather have the boring ass Golf channel and the House Cat Beauty Pageant channel-HD before Fox news HD.

I wanna see O'Reilly have his upcoming aneurysm in HD. It'll be fun being able to see that vein throb and know what's coming.

Yup, The Soup is a must watch show. Once we get Spike, and G4 I'll switch to the HD package. I'd like to see speed, but that turned into the all nascar channel once fox bought it. ugh.

I agree with you about Golf and Versus, but ANY news channel in HD is right up there with WFN-HD.........

WFN-S/HD is a joke so is the golf portion of the mentioned channel Now that channel should be 100% versus they have some dam nice mma hd action that unfortunately gets sent to the sd channel because sd gold is taking up the hd slot they share, Foxnews hd belongs in sd as any news should whats the point of seeing news anchors in hd really?? Bring me the action versus has in hd full time now :hungry:

Guys and gals, don't forget: these channels are all niche channels. Fox News draws 2 to 3 million nightly; CNN gets about 900,00 to 1.3 million; MSNBC maybe a million; CNBC maybe a million; FX what, 1.5 million?

American Idol topped out at about 38 million. The Super Bowl 80 or 90 million, maybe more. Many mainline shows draw between 6 million and 15 million. Boston Legal usually draws about 10 or 11 million. Most people watch mainline shows (the networks), for family entertainment, and sports or off beat variety shows depending on interrest. G4 and Versus? Okay, but not mainline or big time. It's like reading Architectural Digest Magazine: sure, its okay, but for most its like watching paint dry.

I've watched G4, but not much. FX has better shows, but not many of them. Any show in HD will have its coterie of enthusiasts. But these are all niche channels...meaning, you'll always find some people who agree with you, but the vast majority want something else.

Golf HD is the one I want. Versus could go away and I would still sleep tight. You can't spend all your time watching TV, even HD. That's why I'm on the computer now: I'd rather be reading where some person prefers G4 than watching "Hairspray" in HD--which I actually have on my TV now.

Hey folks, have a great day. More HD for all.

Fitzie

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts