Very happy with GeoSatPro and SatAV :)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

pacificrim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
West Coast Canada
Over the last couple of weeks I have posted a few things about redoing my 1.2 meter dish and not buying junk and avoiding knock-offs. The top of my list was to buy a new LNBF - particularly to try out the GeoSatPro SL1PLL LNBF. I ordered 2. I then posted here within a couple of technical posts that I really liked the new LNBF and thought it was doing a a good job with weak and unstable signals but one of the two units I ordered was DOA, but on such an inexpensive item I wasn't going to go the effort to return it for exchange. Fast forward to yesterday when I checked the mail and there were 2 brand new replacements from Brian at SatAV. What a class act! This is the kind of customer care and product backing that is extremely rare in a world of knock-offs and junk and zero support. Thanks Brian!

The other box that was waiting at the post office was my new GeoSatPro MicroHD receiver I ordered from Dr. Sat. A very small package told me how small the receiver was going to be.
I pulled my openbox S10 and in seconds the new MicroHD was in place. The interface was easily recoginzable from other ALI-based sat boxes but there was no lag and the interface made sense. Having the North American sats in place in both C and KU was a nice change from the usual Asia list in a new receiver. I assigned the sats I wanted, set my Lat/Long and blind scanned all the sats. I did the detailed blind scan, but forgot to set FTA only. Anyway, about 2 hours later all my channels were there on 18 satellites.

Observations:
I like the remote. It'll take some getting used to like any change in fingers that were programmed for a different remote, but I like it.
The format of the PVR is compatible with my openbox, so I don't have to convert or lose my existing recordings.
The sensitivity appears to be better than the openbox. I use certain channels like FSTV on 123w or Montana PBS / OKLA PBS as tests as they are weak and I like most people report instability with them. This morning FSTV is coming in during heavy fog. That has never happened before. Even with the big gains when I installed the GeoSatPro PLL LNBF, I still could not get signal in the morning fog on FSTV - until today. Montana and OKLA PBS are also coming decently strong. I will continue to monitor this over time. I give the reported higher tuner sensitivity the credit for this.
Being able to adjust the motor with fine tuning while using USALS, is a new one for me and a HUGE bonus. Excuse me if this is a feature of other boxes, but I didn't know of this feature of any previous satellite receiver I have owned. If the S10 did this, it is news to me. I love fine tuning the motor during fog using USALS and not having to use DiSEQC. I would have liked to see a digital audio port, but the openbox didn't have one either.

I am very pleased with the stability and can tell the MicroHD was well thought through and executed product. Thanks to SatAV for making good stuff and caring about its customers. :)

You can bump the motor East or West, even while set with USALS, but the MicroHD will automatically move it back to where USALS says it should be after a few seconds...

I'll check that out. It may be just that my sg9120 that is not autocorrecting. I can move the motor manually at the dish and it does not move back. It used to but stopped autocorrecting some time ago.

Mine stop auto correcting with the last firmware update, either that or it was a coincidence. Used to if I was out at the dish and moved it manually, to check a close by bird while I was out with my meter, it would move right back. It don't now, and I am much happier.:)

Good point, perhaps it doesn't auto-correct now with the newest firmware. That would be good! I have my dish removed off the motor at the moment and can't check it, as I'm redoing some things. I have to move my pole over about 8~ feet due to a miscalculation on my part.

Since I had to repair this 9120B motor I have been giving it a workout using the microHD , SL1PLL, and a 33" digiwave dish mounted on my back deck. I haven't noticed the "autocorrect" but I am utilizing the latest firmware in the Micro so maybe there is none. Otherwise the motor/LNBF/Dish/Receiver combo works great. Picking up the Montana PBS, very low signal (maybe 30-40Q) but still stable on 125W. Then back to 97 and fine signals there. Back to 72 and good quality on the NBC mux there. Back to 123 and again stops right on the money.
I really like the receiver too. Even though I have never owned an ALI based receiver this one was very intuitive to set up, the remote easy to figure out, the on-screen GUI covers anything that you might miss otherwise. Off to work... so much for playing this am.. :(
C.

Ok now someone explain this one. Todays project was to move the 9120B to a new pole. The pole it was on was a reg 1 5/8" pole and had to much play in it to suit me. So after the concrete had set all night, I made the move. Wasn't too hard since the new one was only a foot or so away. Anyway during the re-alignment process the thing is now auto correcting again, so it was a coinsidence, and not a firmware upgrade???? So beats me.:eek:

I noticed today my 9120B is acting weird too... would call it inconsistent operation... not sure about auto-correct though. I did some repairs to the control board on the 9120, some bad solder joints etc, no mods other than some soldering and de-soldering some components. Was working fine after that for a few days anyway. This am it wouldn't move for about 5 minutes (moving from 91 to 97), then all of a sudden it took off. Then moved it to 103, went right away. Then I switched to 125 and it just sat there. Tried to go back to 103 but wouldn't move back there (seems to stop in between sats). Switched channels between 97 and 125 a few times and all of a sudden Montana PBS came in.

Reason I took it apart in the first place was that the unit would not move west. Found voltage drop in some components like the relay and a diode and it seemed to fix the problem after the re-soldering. Tried resetting the motor, makes no difference.

I am starting to think there are some issues with this motor beyond the problems I initially found. I am suspecting a processor issue; not sending switching signals or not deciphering diseqc commands properly. Makes no difference what receiver I have connected so I think that possibility is eliminated (including MicroHD firmware). Good RG6 Belden between receiver & motor maybe 35' long. Don't have another motor to try right now though.

-C.

I know this is floating way off topic, but I'd love to see the folks at SatAV develop a good motor :) I know there probably isn't much demand, though. My 9120B sometimes does the auto-correct (not sure if it does it with the microHD...but definitely with the Openbox), but what really drives me crazy is when it jams (for whatever reason). It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's invariably bad weather or in the middle of the evening when I can't see what I'm doing. I really wish it had a simple "reset" button! Alas, it doesn't. So, reseting that motor means disconnecting the cable to the house, going out to the shop and hooking up a drop cord to the dish, connecting any ol' receiver back to the motor, pushing down on the two buttons at once, switch on the receiver, hold the buttons in for five seconds after the receiver boots up, then finally releasing the buttons to move the dish to "0 position" and clear it's little micro(Processing)-brain. Grrr! Thankfully, it's fixable, but it's so ridiculous :)

It seems there are multiple versions of the SG-9120 (beyond the tube diameter difference). The earlier version (which is what I have of both models) has a single button for motor movement. Apparently, the new version has two buttons. This would indicate a major design difference and probably a completely different mainboard. Comparing these two motors would be like comparing apples and oranges. I would like to see how many of the problematical motors are of the two button variety.

Well, as many as they pop out of these motors, hopefully they are going through generational changes and eventually they will create one that's GOOD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts