VGA to HDMI converter

Minac

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
in a house
Can anyone suggest a good (and at a reasonable cost) vga to hdmi converter? I have been researching them on the internet but I'm more confused than ever.

All I want to do is connect my laptop to my HDTV through HDMI.

Thanks!

Here is a similar discussion from 5 years ago.
VGA to HDMI? [Archive] - High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Check if your laptop manufacturer sells a docking station for it - some of them have a digital (DVI) output. I know that some of the Dell's have this option.
Such a docking station might turn out to be cheaper than a HD-supporting transcoder.
http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/dcp261.ASP

Or consider VGA -> component: your TV must have a component input.

Diogen.

Nothing wrong with component video on your HDTV! I switched to that from HDMI so that I could use both outputs on my satellite and never noticed a difference in picture quality. Lakebum's find looks like a great idea though, especially for around $50 (and monoprice is an excellent site to buy equipment) - but you might want a higher resolution capability if you are picky. The third picture in the description shows you the adapter that you can use to get the HDMI cable connected. While you are at it, pick up some extra HDMI cables from the site, since they are only a few bucks each and you'd already be paying shipping.

This is what I bought and use for converting my DVHS VCR to HDMI. It works great!

It is also HDMI 1.3b rated so it will support 1080p as well. Will combine spdif audio to HDMI also.

I also found one that is for $39.95 too but it is not rated for latest HDMI spec

While I agree that component signal transfer will look the same on smaller, lower quality monitors, if you are using any large high quality display, you will see a difference for any of your HDMI true sources. The only reason to make the transition as I did with the component output from my DVHS player is because the switch I use and the feed to my front projector is ONLY HDMI. So, at some point I have to make the conversion. If you were thinking of improving quality, sorry, as it starts out as component, you won't improve upon that by conversion to HDMI. Many AVR's will have 1-3 Y, Pr,Pb inputs that can convert and switch to the HDMI output. If yours can do this, I'd recommend using that instead of the little converter box.

Whoops, sorry, I just didn't pay attention. You wanted RGBHV or VGA from a laptop. What was already suggested should do. Hope anyone who needs the RGB to HDMI converter can use the info! :)

Can anyone suggest a good (and at a reasonable cost) vga to hdmi converter? I have been researching them on the internet but I'm more confused than ever.

All I want to do is connect my laptop to my HDTV through HDMI.

Thanks!

This one is suitable for you.

Link

Anyone using something like this to show shows or movies? This thread had me looking at these converters but I found a review for a similar item and it said that these are not recommended for video and the results were worse than with an s-video cable. Also said the videos ran slow. Not sure what Minac's intentions were.

Lakebum, Thanks for the "monoprice" suggestion. Got this one from there works like a charm for my need.

And :eek:WOW, their prices are awesome even got an HDMI cable for $9.

No problem at all! Glad you found monoprice. I have used them on a ton of different items and never been disappointed.

Nothing wrong with component video on your HDTV! I switched to that from HDMI so that I could use both outputs on my satellite and never noticed a difference in picture quality.

At the risk of getting off-topic, I have been playing some DVD's from the UK on my 37" HDLCD, and they look very close to 720p HD quality. I'm using component inputs at 576p resolution.

PAL DVDs from the UK have a resolution of 576 lines, vs 480 for NTSC (North American). My TV automatically supports 576p resolution, which is about halfway between 480p and 720p. So it's the closest thing to HD, using component inputs instead of VGA or HDMI.

At the risk of getting off-topic, I have been playing some DVD's from the UK on my 37" HDLCD, and they look very close to 720p HD quality. I'm using component inputs at 576p resolution.

PAL DVDs from the UK have a resolution of 576 lines, vs 480 for NTSC (North American). My TV automatically supports 576p resolution, which is about halfway between 480p and 720p. So it's the closest thing to HD, using component inputs instead of VGA or HDMI.
I use the component signal to my HDTV and get 1080i or 720p depending on what I set it to. I don't know quite what you are saying, as it seems to be incorrect.

I believe what yumagah was saying is that watching a foreign dvd is higher native resolution 576 vs 480. I stumbled across that idea on wikipedia the other night.

If you could watch each DVD unmolested, 576 most likely would look better than 480, subject to use the same master and same workflow. But since the output resolution was 720p, both had to be scaled. The scalers in the TVs are mediocre at best and scaling 2 lines into 3 (480 to 720) is much easier than 4 lines into 5 (576 into 720). Bottom line: I think it was an illusion.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)