VHF/UHF to UHF/UHF

krisman

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
tn
I have a separate uhf and vhf antenna along with a preamp. the vhf only picks up 1 channel. I am wondering if i can replace the vhf with another uhf antenna and plug it into the vhf slot on the preamp and have 2 uhf antennas pointing in different directions so i can pick up more channels?

do you guys have any ideas or know how i would go about having 2 uhf antennas?

If the antennae were of very high front-to-back ratio, you could use a splitter to combine them and send the combined signal through the pre-amp.

Chances that you get good UHF gain on a VHF amp are poor.

I have a separate uhf and vhf antenna along with a preamp. the vhf only picks up 1 channel. I am wondering if i can replace the vhf with another uhf antenna and plug it into the vhf slot on the preamp and have 2 uhf antennas pointing in different directions so i can pick up more channels?

do you guys have any ideas or know how i would go about having 2 uhf antennas?

As far using the VHF part of the amp the answer would be NO, it's not going to past any good signal. Install the second UHF antenna and use a Winegard CC-7870 to couple the two and feed the single cable into the amp.

Winegard CC-7870 2-Way TV Antenna Joiner Coupler

Join two antennas to eliminate the need of a rotator.Takes 75 Ohm downleads from two different antennas and combines the signals.
With proper spacing, joining two antennas can be a great alternative to a rotator. It is recommended that you run equal lengths of coax cable from each antenna to the CC-7870 to eliminate multipath and out of phase signals. Always join identical antennas for the best results.

Cost is about 14 dollars

Last edited:
If you use a simple splitter/combiner to join the two signals together from 2 uhf antennas, 1/2 of your signal from each antenna will be re-radiated out the other antenna.

The device in the previous post appears to mitigate that.

i was actually going to ditch the vhf antenna that i get 1 channel with, and get the 2nd uhf antenna to gain an extra 3 channels..... if this is a good idea. i dont want to lose any strength though. i get great signal on my uhf right now, if i turn it to the direction i want the other one to go in, i get anywhere from 35-65 strength on those stations. the preamp is about 2.5 feet from both the vhf and uhf right now. my questions are, if i move both uhf antennas closer to the preamp if i did decide on it, would that make a gain on my signal strength. and would you go with the same exact uhf that i have now, or TRY to find a higher mileage range antenna?

i was actually going to ditch the vhf antenna that i get 1 channel with, and get the 2nd uhf antenna to gain an extra 3 channels..... if this is a good idea. i dont want to lose any strength though. i get great signal on my uhf right now, if i turn it to the direction i want the other one to go in, i get anywhere from 35-65 strength on those stations. the preamp is about 2.5 feet from both the vhf and uhf right now. my questions are, if i move both uhf antennas closer to the preamp if i did decide on it, would that make a gain on my signal strength. and would you go with the same exact uhf that i have now, or TRY to find a higher mileage range antenna?

The distance apart is not specific for the UHF antennas. Two UHF antennas can probably be very close, probably within a foot or less. So the distance where the preamp is will not matter. Now upgrading to a Winegard HD-9032 antenna would I'm sure help with the over all UHF reception.

Attachments

• HD-9032.pdf
    177.8 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
I have a quick question on this topic...I'm putting up a Winegard HD9095P. Now all the stations in my area (Fairdale, KY 40118) are UHF except ABC which is VHF. Will I still pick up ABC with this antenna?
Thanks,

Ghpr13:)

I have a quick question on this topic...I'm putting up a Winegard HD9095P. Now all the stations in my area (Fairdale, KY 40118) are UHF except ABC which is VHF. Will I still pick up ABC with this antenna?
Thanks,

It might if the ABC station is strong enough. You will just have to try it & see what happens.

Thanks,

The antenna your talking about HD9095P is only UHF, so it will not work for a VHF station. You will need to install a second VHF antenna for the ABC station or go with a all channel type antenna..

ok, so just to confirm. i will just need to order another uhf and a joiner. and this will help reception if i upgrade to the HD-9032 instead of another xg 91 or whatever it is that i have, cut the 2 pieces of coax into equal lengths to the joiner, get a good joiner like previously posted, then put the new antenna between the old uhf and the joiner, move the vhf up a bit to make it all even, then point the new antenna to the direction i want and i shouldbe all set? one last question before i attempt this, how is the pole going to handle the extra 3 or 4 pounds weight? will this not make the antenna more wind resistant? i have one 10 foot pole, one a 5 foot on top that has the antennas.

ok, so just to confirm. i will just need to order another uhf and a joiner. and this will help reception if i upgrade to the HD-9032 instead of another xg 91 or whatever it is that i have, cut the 2 pieces of coax into equal lengths to the joiner, get a good joiner like previously posted, then put the new antenna between the old uhf and the joiner, move the vhf up a bit to make it all even, then point the new antenna to the direction i want and i shouldbe all set? one last question before i attempt this, how is the pole going to handle the extra 3 or 4 pounds weight? will this not make the antenna more wind resistant? i have one 10 foot pole, one a 5 foot on top that has the antennas.

First off you'll want the VHF antenna on the very bottom and separated from the lower UHF antenna by around 12-18 inches ( I'll have to doubt check this number to make sure I'm in the ball park ).
The question on the pole all depends on if it heavy duty or not and without seeing it I couldn't tell you. sort of depends on who and where you purchased it..But your not talking about a lot of weight and just guess probably around 15 pounds total, so ice and wind might be your biggest concern. If in doubt you might add another pipe inside the original, that's what I did with my pole coming out of my tower..

Rechecked and 12 inches is good 18 inches is best, and again some playing with spacing might be necessary as location and roof type might affect the antennas and reduce some of the signal you get.

Last edited:
Thanks,

since you're only 20 miles away and the signal is pretty strong you should be fine. I had an old UHF antenna up and when the DTV conversion hit my Fox & NBC went back to their analog spots (9 & 11) and they worked fine under most conditions. The signal was lower than if I had a VHF antenna for it

It might if the ABC station is strong enough. You will just have to try it & see what happens.

The antenna your talking about HD9095P is only UHF, so it will not work for a VHF station. You will need to install a second VHF antenna for the ABC station or go with a all channel type antenna..

since you're only 20 miles away and the signal is pretty strong you should be fine. I had an old UHF antenna up and when the DTV conversion hit my Fox & NBC went back to their analog spots (9 & 11) and they worked fine under most conditions. The signal was lower than if I had a VHF antenna for it

Thank you all for your answers. I'm going to go ahead with the antenna I have and if I run into a problem I'll figure something out later. I'm in a pretty good area, as far as terrain goes, so I have a pretty clean shot at the ABC tower, and as you said Iceberg, I'm only 20 miles away.

I checked tonight on a clear night, the channel i was shooting for came in 45, i had another channel coming in at around 30. on cloudy days they come in better and i get a couple of more channels. so if i trimmed a little bit of my cable run under the house to the tv, i might be able to trim a few feet. its a 50 ft run. do you think that ywould give me any kind of signal gain?

I checked tonight on a clear night, the channel i was shooting for came in 45, i had another channel coming in at around 30. on cloudy days they come in better and i get a couple of more channels. so if i trimmed a little bit of my cable run under the house to the tv, i might be able to trim a few feet. its a 50 ft run. do you think that ywould give me any kind of signal gain?

In most cases you'll want the shortest possible run that your installation will allow. Trimming a few feed may help or it may not and without a test box you may not be able to see any real change.

Thanks,

Probably not very well. If it works, I'd expect more dropouts than the UHF stations.

Thank you all for your answers. I'm going to go ahead with the antenna I have and if I run into a problem I'll figure something out later. I'm in a pretty good area, as far as terrain goes, so I have a pretty clean shot at the ABC tower, and as you said Iceberg, I'm only 20 miles away.Ghpr13:)

Remember what Iceberg said "they worked fine under most conditions. The signal was lower than if I had a VHF antenna for it", now your talking digital and the weather and anything between you and the tower may degrade the signal to the point where you will no longer get a lock, digital is all or nothing.. You may find in the middle of winter or bad weather you no longer can get it. For what a VHF antenna cost and to me why mess with it a second time when you can install it with the other antenna.

Remember what Iceberg said "they worked fine under most conditions. The signal was lower than if I had a VHF antenna for it", now your talking digital and the weather and anything between you and the tower may degrade the signal to the point where you will no longer get a lock, digital is all or nothing.. You may find in the middle of winter or bad weather you no longer can get it. For what a VHF antenna cost and to me why mess with it a second time when you can install it with the other antenna.

Good point. I'll look into it.

I am almost ready now to order this new uhf antenna and do away with the vhf. i removed about 15 feet of cable run underneath my house and it helped a lot with the channels that i am trying to get. I do not see these channels on tvfool but they are channel 9 (55-60 signal) channel 3 (30-40 signal) channel 12 (25-30 signal) 53 (25-30 signal). these channels are about 120 miles away and flat terrain. all new channels are within 15-20 degrees. with that said, should i just stick with another xg 91 or go with another?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)