Viacast Quantum MSR 1500

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Error420

Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
I was really starting to wonder about the Viacast receiver. Thought it was just bunK. I was starting to question the validity of the lyngSat website information. All I wanted this thing for was to pick up G10 and almost had a signal but I didnt get a verygood signal quality and moved my dish. Now I cant find the sucker at all. So I thought hey I have a dish setup why not test to see if it works with that since I know for a fact that bird is already tuned in. Got it working with the existing dish and lnb with these settings.

LNB LO freq. 11250000
LNB Power 14
Down Link Feq. 12516000
Symbol Rate 20000
0/12v Mode Off
DISEqC 1.0 Off

Whats funny I couldng get the Nasa channel useN a down link freq. of 12297000 really crazy. Now if I change the LNB to a Lo freq of 10750000 I should be able to tune in this same bird with my universal LNB and 33" dish. Or should the freq be 10600000 I'll test both but 119 is kinda right next to G10 Hope I can get it. But I tried useN a downlink of 12114000 and symbol rate of 4444 all the rest the same, i'll change the lnb frequency. But at least I know the thing works. Oh I have a signal meter I've been useN just cant get any signal quality on g10, dammit. Well L8r gunna test some more, only been like 3 days

if you are trying to get G10, enter it as this (check the reviews for the Viacast I reviewed...its the same)

0,1,2,etc
14 (or 14+22K if you have a Universal)
off
off

that should get you the main G10 tranpsonder

hit mouse back button on side.

Had to edit mouse has a back button on the side I hit. Sorry.

Hey thnks I'll try all those settings and see whats up dude. Just thought I would let you know I did check it with a dish setup already pointed at a bird. For some of the skeptics that dont think they work at all.

well maybe lyngsat is wrong. cant find that info you just gave me on there website for g10

0,1,2,etc
14 (or 14+22K if you have a Universal)
11799000 <------------ Closest I could find was 11800000 and 117744000 on there site
off
off

Cant find right bird.

Seems like everybird I stop on has the smart card light kick on. That one time I was on g10 with low quality it didnt have the smart card light kick on. If I had a reliable list of main transponders for the different sats I would input the info into the different transponders and try to determin which bird I'm on. I've just got a cheap sat meter with a level indicator. I'll do some more checking and see what I can come up with. Wish I had someway to determine the bird I'm on dang nabit.

if the smartcard light comes on, you are on a Dish Network satellite...you might be on 121. its 2 degrees west of there (about 1/4" turn) :)

thinking about it, there is a Dish Network satellite at 105 that has 11800 V 26000, which might trip it if your close.

what's your location so we can verify angles and stuff :)

that satellite you were on, were the channels 250, 251, 252, etc? (the first number in front of the 250 is irrelevant)...if so, then you're on 105

about to take TV on roof too.

Well my zip is 72758 think is at 223.0 with a elevation of 38. I even tried to mark the ones I've been on off with a pen and I should have just drawn a line a quartar of way around the pole, he he. Oh well I'll start some new marks and be sure to mark the smart card ones with red. I'm on one right now that the smart card light doesnt come on . Couldnt get anything with it. I'll keep plugin away at it and thanks again

TV on the roof

I was on 119 echostar with a 18" dish and circular lnb. But its on a tripod on the ground and the big ones on the roof. I should get close but there's a lotta birds out there.

Some of the Echo sats have info cards saying where you are pointed. I think there is one on 121W. Try to point it there and do a little nugding.:)

Gunna Give Up on the Quantum MSR

Guess it just doesnt want to pick anything up. Hate to do this but I'm going to give up on this unit until I get a better one to make damm sure I'm on G10 then mess with the settings. Maybe thats what it is, dont know. Thinking the quality meter only works if your already on the bird or transponder when you first turn it on and it tunes. Oh well, the other unit coming has blind search etc. and I should have no problem with it. Got sick of messing with this receiver for 3 or 4 days, even missed a day of work becuase I was messing with it. Several holes in the house. First place I tried was mounted to brick and was sturdy as you can get, took me a couple of hours to just drill the holes in the brick. There are holes in the roof now, in two spots, gotta do a patch job now. Even took the dish down, took a 18" dish off a tripod and moved it around the yard, and tried several sats and spots. All I keep getting is the smart card light. The stupid thing isnt even worth as much as I've been messing with it. I'll just toss it asaid for now, work and buy me some better ones. Whats really funny, I put the 33" dish up in the garage, and setup the 18" back on the tripod, took longer to get the thing back on the tripod than it did to tune in 119, maybe 2 minutes to find 119. And whats really funny is G10 sits just to the side of 119 and like 2 degrees down. Just saw your setup guide/review before I bought the unit and thought that wasnt so hard, Ha... Musta been the only positive thing on the net about these units, if I woulda read more I woulda noticed they had a program on them that just sucks. Guess I pretty much have the setup stuff down becuase I can get it to receive Radio stations with the 18" and DBS LNB. I was even thinking I would have been esier to lift the pins on the CPU and solder up a jtag and reflash the unit with a better software. I dont see why they even put a rs232 port on the back of the thing. I would telenet into the unit, but how. No info on the subject, I can connect but who knows from there.

Thanks for all the input Iceburg and I'll let you know If I get the thing working after I get g10 tuned in with a better receiver.

This advice may be a little late, but if you were using a universal LNB with this unit, your LNB LO Freq needs to be 10600000. I think I saw you post that you had used 10750000, which won't work (or at least it didn't for me). For me, the signal I hooked on to was 12114 sr 4444, which comes in at almost 100% signal quality in my area. Granted, one of the channels on that TP is now gone, but for the purpose of alignment, I found it the best bet.

I feel your pain. I got one of these receivers and it took me about 2 weeks (part time) to get it up and running. I also hooked mine up to a bell dish to make sure the receiver worked.

If you find out any more info about reflashing the unit I'd like to know about that. The software has some pretty major limitations on board. Adding blind scan would be just lovely.

Thanks For the Post

Man I haven't messed with it today, gotta life and stuff. I think I have the piout for the stp20tp2bx50s not 100% sure, but its for the stp20tp.

124 notTRST
123 TCLK
118 GND ? chassis maybe instead?
122 TMS
121 TDI
125 TDO

Not to mention def. files for jkeys but with the data sheet a guy oughta be able to come up with that info. Guess its about taken the time to trace the thing out. That pinout looks a little close to try a solder job directly to the chip, even with the enamel coated stuff, its just freaking small and that many hand solders would be way hard to keep clean, that close together. Oh well I'm pretty dang tired from work today and think I'm going to take a shower and crash out, I'm not even going to mess with tuning that thing in tonight. L8r.

Oh yea

Tried it at 10600000 lnb freq with 14v and 14+22k. Think I need a better sat finder, one that tells you what bird your on. I can find like all of them I think just not the right one, with the right setting at the right time. I noticed that they kinda just stair step down towards the horizon. Kinda kewl I guess.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)