Newbie needs some advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scanner

Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
Well maybe not really that much of a newbie, but here's my question someone gave me a direct tv kit complete with receiver and dish. Well this satelllite guy tells me that I can get a pansat 2700A and connect it to a single LNB Direct Dish, althought the kit came with an Eagle Aspen Direct TV dish, my guess is it's an 18" it has the typical 3 LNBs and I should be able to get FTA. He only recommended the 2700A. I would like to get a second opinion if I may, what's the cheapest way to go here for FTA? do I really need to get a 2700A, assuming I can use this Eagle Aspen dish I have?
Thanks

Thanks for the welcome, I checked out the thread you told me about, there isn't any info on recievers or LNB. So I'm still kind of in the dark about that, should I just assume the 3 LNB will work, and with what FTA reciever?
Thanks

The Phase III DirecTV (3 LNB) dish defaults to the 101w LNB when not used with a DirecTV receiver so yes it will work (Just like an 18" dish) for the few channels in the above link.

ANY of the receivers in the review area work for the LEGAL FTA channels up there.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?f=74

Thanks that definitely shed some light on the subject :) Just wondering how the size of a dish is measured, is that circumference or across?
Thanks

The Phase III DirecTV dish is a pain for anything other than DirecTV. If you really want to stick with an 18" dish, then an older, single LNB DirecTV dish is easier to properly aim. You could also use an old Dish500 with the two separate LNBs to hit 110w and 119w at the same time. 110w has GolTV and a few preview slate channels, while 119w is great for audio channels and has NASA TV in the clear.

If you REALLY want to get into FTA, pick up newsfeeds and plenty of other interesting channels, you want to go with a dish that is 30" or more in size.

Tron said:
The Phase III DirecTV dish is a pain for anything other than DirecTV. If you really want to stick with an 18" dish, then an older, single LNB DirecTV dish is easier to properly aim. You could also use an old Dish500 with the two separate LNBs to hit 110w and 119w at the same time. 110w has GolTV and a few preview slate channels, while 119w is great for audio channels and has NASA TV in the clear.

If you REALLY want to get into FTA, pick up newsfeeds and plenty of other interesting channels, you want to go with a dish that is 30" or more in size.

Well I also have access to an old DirecTV single LNB dish but the parabolic part is covered with bird turd lol, would that have any bearing on the signal? If so what's a good cleaner, mineral spirits?
Thanks

Its almost as if the birds are aiming for satellite dish : )

I would use warm soapy water to clean the dish as it will affect the signal. But with the DBS satellites that should not be much of an issue as they are much stronger than KU satellites!

For cleaning a dish, if it is metal, then if you remove some paint, it can be re-painted. But if it is a plastic/glass dish, the reflective surface may be a layer of paint. Be carefull not to remove the reflective paint. An e-coat paint may repair it, but I do not know for sure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.