Viacom and Turner Channels

bpasker8

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 20, 2003
I was visiting a friend that has the dish network and caught the 12/5 or 12/8 re-broadcast of Charlie Chat where they were discussing the contracts with viacom and the pervious ted turner channels.

Has anyone heard any updates on these contracts? Are we gonna loose Cartoon Network? No more Ed Edd and Eddy?

There is a thread about this already !

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5080

Mod please lock this one .

I did not know that Viacom was another provider in which may have its channels dropped. What all does Viacom own? I believe the VH-1 channels are some of them if I am not mistaken. Isn't the MTV channels also owned by them (and if not, the same program provider)?

Viacom, owns, MTV, VH1, NICK, NOGGIN, SpikeTV, TV Land & CMT as well as CBS, Showtime and the Movie Channel.

I do not expect any of the Viacom channels to be dropped.

On the other had I do expect the Tuner Channels to get bumped, I understand they have reserved a channel on Dish to explain why CNN, Cartoon Network, etc is no longer available on Dish.

I do hope they come up with something.

I think that they should package channels by owners. That way, if a customer wants to pay the price increase for that group of channels, he could. There is not one of the Turner channels that I watch, so let someone else pay for the price increase. Why should I.

I think what they shoud do is say here is a list of 500 channels or whateve, give us this price a month and pick 100 that you want, then for each additional channel you pay a certain price per additonal channel and put them in tiers, like hbo, skinamax, showtime are all premium channels and if you don't want all 49 hbos then you only pick the ones you want and only pay for them seperatly, say $1 each one, and then have a tier below that for like bbc, or noogin or other less pricey channels and go that way....

If those Viacom channels get removes I would expect a LOT of angry customers to complain or shut off the service, or not want to pay a portion of their bill. They would expect a nice discount, if they would be willing to keep the service at all afterwards.

jerryez said:
I think that they should package channels by owners. That way, if a customer wants to pay the price increase for that group of channels, he could. There is not one of the Turner channels that I watch, so let someone else pay for the price increase. Why should I.

Dish does bundle channels via the owner of the channels, the serivce you wish to get is called Commercial Service, and only available to businesses.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)