Viacom Demands Huge Hikes From Hundreds of Cable Companies

Interesting quote out of the article:
even though viewing is down on 12 of their 15 networks since 2010 – some by more than 30 percent.

DIRECTV seemed to have won the Viacom battle... I bet these guys will too. How many would really notice they were missing...

looks like they are trying to hammer out a deal. from the site i linked above
April 1

We are continuing with our negotiations with Viacom and thank you for your patience during this time.
March 31

Our talks with Viacom continue today (Monday, March 31) and we are working hard to reach a fair agreement before midnight tonight. We hope Viacom does not pull their channels from your line-up as we continue our progress in reaching a fair agreement on the fees they charge for their channels. If Viacom does pull their channels from you, we want you to know that decision is Viacom's as we have requested they do not pull signals and bring you into what should be a private business matter.

i dont know if they've been pulled yet as i dont have access to cable. maybe i'll have to check with someone who has cable

I have cableone at one house, I probably lost the channels... I do not know since I have not tuned in one for quite a while...

I have cableone at one house, I probably lost the channels... I do not know since I have not tuned in one for quite a while...

yup looks like they did

Cable ONE was forced to remove the following Viacom networks from our line-up following the expiration of our contract with Viacom on March 31, 2014: BET, Centric, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, MTV2, MTV Hits, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., Nick Teen, Nick Toons, Spike, TV LAND, VH-1, and VH-1 Classic.
http://www.stopprogramminghikes.com/

and midrivers dropped them too
Mid-Rivers Cable Television has been in negotiations with Viacom, the owner of MTV Networks, since early 2014 in an attempt to come to terms on a new programming agreement for the continued carriage of Viacom’s networks. Following intensive negotiations that involved approximately 800 cable companies and 5.3 million cable subscribers nationwide, and included multiple extensions of the original March 31 carriage expiration date, the Viacom networks will be replaced by other programming on the Mid-Rivers cable system beginning in early April.

Viacom’s final terms demanded a large rate increase in 2014 followed by additional year-after-year increases throughout the required five-year agreement. While Mid-Rivers is restricted from talking about specifics, the rate increase demanded by Viacom was over 20 times the rate of inflation and would have brought the annual bill Mid-Rivers pays Viacom to just under a million dollars. The Viacom agreement also demanded that the company continue to carry and pay for every current Viacom network, rather than only the key channels that most customers watch.

“The large rate increase necessary to keep these networks would have impacted all of our cable subscribers, whether they watch MTV and the other Viacom channels or not,” stated Mid-Rivers’ General Manager, Bill Wade. “This was a very tough decision. It is not something we take lightly and certainly not something we have much experience with. However, when a multibillion dollar company like Viacom demands an outrageous increase in monthly fees, it’s our responsibility to take a stand for our rural customers.”

In the past, the company has been able to resolve most contractual disputes without programming interruptions, but according to Wade, “Unfortunately we’re operating in a new environment where these huge media companies don’t have to present small operators like us with a reasonable offer.”

Fees from networks like these account for the bulk of monthly cable bills. Today's entertainment marketplace is changing rapidly, with ongoing consolidation among major media companies. When such mergers are allowed, they provide programming companies significant leverage over small independent cable companies like Mid-Rivers.

Mid-Rivers has chosen to replace the Viacom networks with other programming, rather than significantly raising rates to cover the increase in price Viacom is demanding for their channels. The approximately 20 new channels to be added by Mid-Rivers in the coming weeks will include Sprout (a 24-hour channel for kids and parents), Comedy.TV, FamilyNet (RuralTV), Chiller, Boomerang, Fox Sports 2 and many others. The full list of channels to be added will vary by community and programming tier. Fuse, a national network dedicated to music, will also be moved into a more widely-viewed tier as a replacement for the Viacom music channels.

The new programming will replace a total of 15 Viacom channels across various programming tiers of the Mid-Rivers cable lineup.

“We know that the loss of the Viacom channels is going to disappoint some of our customers, and we are very sorry for the inconvenience and concern this issue may cause,” concluded Wade. “We are trying to turn an unfortunate situation into a more positive experience, by putting on some new channels people have been requesting without impacting customer rates.”

Customers that may miss some of the Viacom programming can still watch many of these networks’ shows, both online and on other TV channels. The company’s website provides information for customers on where to find these programs from other sources.

Mid-Rivers Cable Television provides cable service in 18 Eastern and Central Montana communities. The company is wholly-owned by Mid-Rivers Telephone Cooperative, Inc., a member-owned cooperative based in Circle, Montana, which employs over 170 people. Mid-Rivers is encouraging customers to visit www.midrivers.com for the latest updates on this issue.
http://www.midrivers.com/news/article/80/

I live in Cable One's largest market and I find it outrageous. Word on the street is that Cable One and Viacom are at a standstill right now, and from the looks of it, it's going to be a while before anything can happen. The only upside to this is that Cable One brought in new channels such as Sprout, BBC America, TV One, ID, IFC, Sundance, and the Blaze :)P).

Cable One is one of those companies that just has a lot of bad luck when it comes to carriage, however I don't feel bad for them. They had a spat with Turner back in October and it lasted for a month. Many people weren't able to watch any of the LDS or LCS games from the MLB. A year ago, they had a very long dispute with AMC and it took months for it to come back. For a company with a terrible lineup,very outdated equipment, and a record for its unreliability, they just can't seem to catch a break at all, yet they are still described as being one of the fast ISP's in the country.

Quite frankly if Viacom wants to bump fees they should have ascending ratings rather than dramatic fall off in ratings. They have to be suffering from a loss of ad revenue if their ratings are down so much. Looks like they are trying to make up for it with higher fees.

It's going to get to the point where everyone has to pull the plug. Let the big networks die in poverty.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

didn't dtv have a dispute with Viacom a few years ago. back then Viacom punished everyone by pulling there videos off their sites. Viacom can throw tantrums and make everyone suffer

Yes they did. At least at that time the Viacom ratings were not suffering, so they had a better case. Somebody somewhere has to stop capitulating on fees. I would love to see none of these small cable companies give in and as more and more come off contract they join them to force Viacom's hand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)