Viacom/Dish Dispute Forthcoming?

I sometimes wonder if there are high ranking Dish employees that read this site. We already mentioned that the Sling dispute page was taken down, and now the online program guide is temporarily unavailable - DISH TV Online Channel Guide | MyDISH

It's like they read this thread and they saw the two things we observed about a potential Viacom dispute and took them down :biggrin

• Wow
Reactions: Howard Simmons
I sometimes wonder if there are high ranking Dish employees that read this site. We already mentioned that the Sling dispute page was taken down, and now the online program guide is temporarily unavailable - DISH TV Online Channel Guide | MyDISH

It's like they read this thread and they saw the two things we observed about a potential Viacom dispute and took them down :biggrin
The on-screen popup messages about a potential Viacom dispute (that I mentioned earlier) are still uplinked in Dish's system...

I was bored, so I started scrolling through James Long's channel listing chart for Dish.

Channels 1000-9999 on DISH Network (Unofficial Listing)

Near the bottom of the list, there is a section of Popup Text Channels. These are messages that can be triggered to display on-screen on Dish receivers if Dish sends the code to do so.

19926 BMG26
This Viacom channel is no longer available. Visit DISHPromise.com or Ch. 171 for updates.

19927 BMG27
This Viacom channel is no longer available. Visit DISHPromise.com for updates.

19928 BMG28
Este canal de Viacom no esta disponible. Visite DISHPromise.com.

These messages have me mystified, since there is nothing on dishpromise.com about Viacom, and channel 171 is currently Nickelodeon West. So, I have no idea if these are left over from an old dispute, or if Dish is preparing for an upcoming dispute with Viacom.

...including this new one that was uplinked last week:
LName/Text Change
19918 BMG18 (118° TP 17) Text: 1E000 Visit Channel 900 for a message from DISH (was 0E000 Test.)
19918 BMG18 (119° TP 12) Text: 1E000 Visit Channel 900 for a message from DISH (was 0E000 Test.)
19918 BMG18 (72.7° TP 3) Text: 1E000 Visit Channel 900 for a message from DISH (was 0E000 Test.)

:biggrin2

Reactions: Tvland1
I sometimes wonder if there are high ranking Dish employees that read this site.

Of course they do. :) Even Charlie himself stops by from time to time.

But as of the past 4 or 5 months they have been getting ready for disputes just in case.

They had done this not too long ago for AMC and even had a channel explains why AMC was removed from DISH but they were hidden to customers. This was just a few months ago.

Well they didn’t drop AMC.

I see then doing this now (just getting ready in case) for big program providers who’s contracts are coming to an end.

Just because these Chanel’s are up there and they have hidden websites ready to go does not mean they will ever be seen by the public.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

They had done this not too long ago for AMC and even had a channel explains why AMC was removed from DISH but they were hidden to customers. This was just a few months ago.

Well they didn’t drop AMC.

I see then doing this now (just getting ready in case) for big program providers who’s contracts are coming to an end.

Just because these Chanel’s are up there and they have hidden websites ready to go does not mean they will ever be seen by the public.
No, but they do get reported on this site, which then gets people in an uproar about a potential dispute that we may otherwise not have even been aware was a possibility. Posts such as this, for example:
I see a lot of those..like 4071, 4072, 4073...
Those happen t to say something about Grey Television putting customers in the middle of negotiations..
I would like to happily point out that the Gray Television stations were never actually pulled from Dish (so far, anyway) even though I started a thread about that potential dispute myself, after seeing the changes to the OTA guide data for those stations in an uplink report.

Even then... it's only Viacom we're talking about. I'd miss TV Land some but not as much as maybe a year or two ago. Different for everyone of course but I took stock and have not watched one of their channels for weeks and weeks except TV Land.

Last edited:
Reactions: zippyfrog
We watch Nick, Paramount Network, CMT, TVLand and a lot of the other Viacom channels often. I'm sure I don't bother with a lot of the channels that other people like but I have no desire to see any of them removed.

Would have said I never watch any of those channels, but the paramount started Two and a half men from the beginning. Good to see you posting JSheridan!

I would think during this virus that both sides would just put off any contract disputes. It is unfair to everyone involved.
I guess that is when we will know that things are truly going back to "normal," when a whole bunch of channels (with various owners, not just the Viacom ones) all get pulled from Dish at once, when all of these temporary virus truces end. :(

Won't miss anything but Yellowstone.
Yellowstone and the now becoming old and tired Younger. Younger should have been brought in for the landing a few years ago, but it is, apparently, one of the few ratings sucesses for TV Land. They wanted to move Younger to the new Paramount Network when it launched becasue Younger was doing that well, but then Viacom changed its mind and decided to keep it on TVLand, probably out of fear of ruining the ratings, losing its audience and, I would imagine, some protest from the producers. BTW, the producers of Younger are supposed to be working on a NEW show speicifically for Paramount Network. I havn't a clue what that show would be.

Well, at least their Administrative Assistants (glorified secretaries) do read and generate a report for their exec bosses--that's my belief. I belive Charlie himself indicated, many years ago, that he was aware of all letters/emails to CEO suggesting that his staff monitor CEO emails and digest for such a report to him. I would imagine Charlie may require such monitoring of all the pertinent forums for Dish CEO and other top execs. This forum alone is a pretty good gauge of learning about popularity (or lack of it) of channels (along with the real numbers Dish has--they KNOW what we watch) when it comes to how comfortable Dish may be in accepting losing channels or doing more to save them.

Things are possibly about to heat up again...

LName/Text Change
19918 BMG18 (118° TP 17) Text: 1E000 GO TO CH. 900 FOR A MESSAGE FROM DISH ABOUT VIACOM. (was 1E000 Visit Channel 900 for a message from DISH)
19918 BMG18 (119° TP 12) Text: 1E000 GO TO CH. 900 FOR A MESSAGE FROM DISH ABOUT VIACOM. (was 1E000 Visit Channel 900 for a message from DISH)
19918 BMG18 (72.7° TP 3) Text: 1E000 GO TO CH. 900 FOR A MESSAGE FROM DISH ABOUT VIACOM. (was 1E000 Visit Channel 900 for a message from DISH)

Things are possibly about to heat up again...

Charlie did mention Viacom in the earnings call yesterday:

Ergen declined to provide commentary on current talks, but what he did say wasn’t especially encouraging. “They’ve been a long-term valued vendor for us, but the reality is, a lot of their content is available from other sources that people are already paying for. Obviously, from a ratings perspective or viewership perspective, they’ve had declines over the last several years. A lot of their investment has gone into Pluto now, and that’s free,” he said. “We hope we get there… They helped build this company. We like the company a lot personally, but there’s a reality out there of where the market is. And it’s probably not the same as it was in years past.”

Reactions: osu1991

YouTube and ViacomCBS have revealed an expanded, multi-year distribution deal that will add 14 new networks to the tech giant’s YouTube TV service.

The agreement will keep CBS broadcast stations, CBS Sports Network, Pop TV, Smithsonian Channel and The CW on the bundle and also add BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Network, TV Land and VH1 in the summer. At a later point, another batch of networks joining a premium tier will include ET Her, MTV2, Nick Jr., NickToons, TeenNick and MTV Classic.