Victim Of The Dreaded HOA Today!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTABman0

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2006
Lat 39.2°N WV Lo 81.5°W
Well after almost 3 months up, my 10 foot must come down. Victim of the dreaded HOA I have got mine finally! If you read some of my posts further back I mentioned the fact that I was the guy that fought to have satellite dishes in my neighborhood of 24 houses! Well, after fighting them when I first moved in to have a simple D* dish, I won! That was back in 1998 and all thanks to the FCC stepping to the plate for us! They had in the HOA papers and it is still in there to this day “No Satellite Dishes”. But that meant more so the BUD style when written by the original HOA guy when I moved in here.

I was informed this morning before heading out!

In short there are about 5 of us in here that has dishes and two of us with a KU setup. So in short I prided myself on winning that round with them for so long! New guy thinks different! Says this morning as he drives to work, “The big dish has to come down!” I knew I was pushing it when I set it up for the 10 foot does not have the FCC on my side there for it is bigger than 1 meter!

I will take it in stride and it was a fun run while it lasted! I asked about a 6 foot dish and he said as long as it is not seen from the road he did not care. His theory was this, if any of the neighbors saw it, they would want one also and he was sick of looking at the dish (a 12 footer) that a neighbor had at his last house he lived in before here! So in short, I am being punished for something he, or I should say the other original HOA Member did not like before he moved here! WHAT!

I also think another reason was myself Robin Hooding here to get the small ones put in for the other neighborhood people in the first place, challenged the paper and won thanks to the FCC rule and now they have found a way to put me in my place!

So, it looks like a Brand New Fortec Star 6 foot dish is going to be in my plans! It was like (C-Band) having being introduced to FTA all over again for having all those new things to watch! I just got my new Geosatpro C2 LNB and had not gotten the chance to switch the old one out yet to get to play around with it!

Guess you play with the bull ya get the horns! I knew I was playing with fire going that big but I guess I will have to comply!

Bet you it will not come down today, not this week! It will be a slow process! I can probably get it down in a couple hours but it will ne next weekend, not this coming weekend that it will get disassembled and unplanted! I feel a “I was out of town” thing coming on!

Man I will miss those channels right now and was planning to go 4DTV soon with Skyvision fresh on my answering machine! Situation SUX big time!

As you can see in picture 2 you really have to be looking for it!

I will go off pouting now!

K E V I N
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Attachments

• From the road Picture 1.JPG
    From the road Picture 1.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 355
  • From the road Picture 2.JPG
    From the road Picture 2.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 358
bummer....Thats part of the reason why I havent gone bigger. I know we have an "agreement" to keep the 6 footer but I know they wont let me get the 10 footer.....even though I am the president HOA ;)

Thanks guys! Like I said, it will be a couple weeks on the take down. I am in really good standing with the last guy that was in there. He stopped by today to apologize but hey, I knew the rule, pushed it with the other dishes I have up now and I knew that maybe this day would come.

But man, I did not get to have it up long! :mad:

I have a nice mobile home on my property that I have a sound / recording studio in and that was easy to have compared to this dish stuff! What is the world coming too!?!

I know the 6 footer will be not as good as the 10, I just need help now by you guys in feedback with a 6 ft!

Maybe since he said that the 6 would be OK as long as it cant be seen I can sneak a 7-8 footer in and hope they do not measure it! :D

K E V I N
IM

Bastards! I was going to say it sounds like it's time to have a new election, but if Ice is an HOA prez for his neighborhood and HE dont have the stroke, well that just sucks. Maybe you could swing the tide with a majority of homeowners if they were also FTA enthusiast! Might be worth some campaining...............lol. I've got a twist on the old addage that fences make the best neighbors, that is actually two fences with a 30ft wide ditch between them!
You should be ok with the DRS410 setup on a 6 footer. I have a 7.5 mesh and all the W5 DCII stuff I've botherd to look at comes banging in well over the minimum threshold usable on the 922. Now if you could just peddle a few more of those deals to about 13 of your neighbors ol' homeboy might find himself surrounded by 6 footers with a majority ruling.........:devil:
Hmmmm.....maybe we need to petition the FCC to up the size limit.
Sorry to hear about your mis-fortune. Hopefully you can still do the 410 thing w/o any issue, but I'd get it documented that he gave you a variance, even covertly if need be. Shotgun mics are awesome, and pretty easy to build!
Tell Gladys I said HOA this!

Hmmmm.....maybe we need to petition the FCC to up the size limit.

Yea, it does suck melgarga and thanks! Going to the 6 foot size and you know, this guy could have been a complete A$$ about the 6 foot idea! Cut my loss and take it in stride! Again, I never once thought I would get by with it, just hoped it was longer than weeks; heck never had it up long at all!

I have been reading threads here about the 4DTV stuff and W5 for awhile now! I wanted to get into that anyway. Had Skyvision calling me for a couple days since I looked at their site and signed up for information!

I do agree with your commit on the petition of the size limit! If you all listened to Sat-Talk on Access America last week you heard Ralf & Mike talked about the coming back of the C-Band stuff! Maybe we can hope that things jump off again in C-Band like it did in the 80's!

I can see it happening!

There are so many people that never heard of FTA and the hacker crowd has given it a lot of stink! There will be a day when the hacker thing will be a thing of the past and it will be 100% legal and with Bell proposing that in the clear thing, you never know.

It will happen!!

It would be nice to see Bell & Dish to open up more unencrypted signals, maybe if they had some things in the clear they would have less hacking! The eye patch crowd will always be there though until E* gets their stuff in order! Can’t wait till they roll completely N3, again the hardware prices on boxes will be phenomenal! I can’t wait!

It is happening!!

A Waiting game now!!

:D I got all the time in the world! :D

K E V I N

That Bites... one reason why I live in the Country...and have for all but 5 years of my life... the City is inching further out and trying to impose "their rules" and the county is coming up with crap also... (city slickers on the commission, should be against the law... ;))

try to paint it the color of the back ground sky in pic # one. It would be real hard to see then. LOL........

That made me :haha !!

Thought about that, really Dogwood pink and white! :D

Then move it over to where the bush is!!

Too bad they do not make one of those boulder rock covers for the 9-12 footers!

That would be a BIG rock!!

K E V I N

That made me :haha !!

Thought about that, really Dogwood pink and white! :D

Then move it over to where the bush is!!

Too bad they do not make one of those boulder rock covers for the 9-12 footers!

That would be a BIG rock!!

K E V I N
They DO make the umbrella covers. or they used to make them, I dunno if they do anymore. Kinda pricey I think as well, but if it solved the problem.............

I think that dish looks nice there. But it's probably just my biased, SatelliteGuy opinion on it! :D:up

1. Switch to the 6-footer next weekend
2. Plant some pine trees behind the six footer the following weekend
3. Paint the backside of the 10-footer grayish-blue-sky color
4. Put the 10-footer back up next spring after your trees have grown

One friend of mine beat the HOA by going around and measuring all of his neighbors fences. Turns out they built his a foot and a half lower than everyone else's. So the HOA had to spend money raising his fence. After that, you couldn't see his dish! He won! LOL

Also, there's the Satellite Home Viewers Act if that has any language to help?

1. Switch to the 6-footer next weekend
2. Plant some pine trees behind the six footer the following weekend
3. Paint the backside of the 10-footer grayish-blue-sky color
4. Put the 10-footer back up next spring after your trees have grown

Theory of relativity SatelliteGuys style, I love it!
And in a couple more years he can swap the 10 footer out for a 12 footer and no one will ever even notice.....................

Makes me glad I live on an acre in the country. I can put as many dishes as I can get past the wife lol. I can still burn leaves if I want. Progress is headed my way, in ten years the expensive houses and a strip mall will be too close for me. Blind

This may not be useful, but it used to be that becoming a HAM can sometimes help fight these things. I'm a HAM, but haven't been on the air for years, and I haven't kept up with the regs. However if I remember correctly, it used to be a similar fight between HAMs and HOAs, and although the FCC claimed to be the final authority on antennas, that since HOAs were private agreements, that HOAs would tend to win arguments..... EXCEPT... that once a HOA made an exception, and allowed ANY antenna, even a TV antenna, that they were deemed to have given up the right to restrict antennas. The FCC used to have an interpretation of the rules that said that since there were so many different bands requiring different sized antennas, that restrictions should not discriminate between HAMs wanting to experiment with one band vs another. Anyway, I'm not sure what the amateur satellite situation is now, but back about 10 years ago, when AO40 (I think) went up, lots of hams were using sat dishes to hit that sat, before it kind of died, plus you could also claim that you were using a dish to try EME bounces.
Anyway, it USED to be that HAMs had a few more rights relative to fighting HOA situations. It may no longer be the case, because I think the FCC is shifting it's opinion of HAMs away from HAMs being an important service, but it's possible that it could help. If nothing else, you could put up a bunch of "ugly" (to the beholder) ham antennas, then make a bargain with the HOA to take them down if you can have your 12' dish back.

Boy am I happy that I don't live in a HOA, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would want to. I passed up a chance to buy an excellent piece of waterfront property once because it was entangled with only a "road association". I wouldn't even think a second about buying a property that was part of a HOA. Now my pontoon boat is parked on the poor side of the lake, but no association can tell me what to do. :)

Yes, I've seen the trend away from Amateur Radio being important to the FCC as well in favor of 'new tech' communication. I am looking for the day when the sats are gobbled up by satellite killing satellites, the cell/LL phone and I'net networks go down and global communication is relegated to cw on tube type tcvrs. Then they will remember how important citizen owned and operated HAM radio is in a crisis.
And dont get me started on a no code license. There otta' be a law.........oh, wait there was, they repealed it.........PFFFFT!
I had to do my 5, 13 and 20 wpm test, I'll bet you did too BJ, as likely everyone else on the board has, and anyone that wants the privledge to operator on the HAM bands should have to as well. Otherwise I say "Getcha one o' them thar C and B type radidios there Good Buddy and have at it." We all know it as 'payin' yiour dues' but apparently the FCC views it as an archaic and unnecessary step to become a Amatuer Radio operator.
"Sure Gladys, I'll take it down. Just hold on to this coax while I run inside and make sure the 2KW HF amp is turned off"..............:devil:
Amatuer radio version of a Depelter Turbo......I AM in Texas!

I had to do my 5, 13 and 20 wpm test, I'll bet you did too BJ,...

I wish, but no. I am kind of brain dead when it comes to code. I started trying to learn code back in the 50s, but couldn't. Kept trying on and off, always by myself, but I just couldn't get it. Finally, when they initiated the no-code tech back in the late 80s, and I was around hams, I finally got some help, and at least got the 5 wpm. I could send close to the 13, but never could receive at that speed. One thing that REALLY messed me up was trying to learn via computer programs, that sent you the code, and you typed in a key. I got pretty good at that, until I went to actually take the test, and found that when I'd hear the code, I was associating each letter with the computer keyboard, not the letter, so I had to mentally think of what letter was where on the keyboard, so I had to forget everything and start over from scratch.
After finally getting to where I could communicate with novices, I made a contact with some guy who was doing CW while riding a bicycle with a key strapped to his leg. That really depressed me, knowing that I'd never be able to do that, but I did go out and by one of those portable leg keys just in case.
Did you notice that Google had it's name spelled in code a few days ago?

Does the law state you can't "store" one on your property? What about an open sided shed like horse owners have? The dish could be "in" the building and still be functional.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)