Video Breakup On HD Channels Only With Good Signal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mwisniew9599

Original poster
May 13, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hello all. Sorry if this is a well covered topic - google searches couldn't hone in on anything that was helpful on this topic.

I've experienced this sporadically over the last couple years, but for the past couple of weeks almost every evening for anywhere from 10 minutes to a few hours I've experience video breakup, to the point the show is unwatchable, on HD channels only.

When I check my signal strength, it's fine (transponders returning values in the 90-100 for each satellite) and the SD channels don't experience any breakup.

I spoke to a tech at directv, and he suggested I channel up a couple times and then down to reset the channel, but this of course doesn't help much when you're recording something.

I did find an article that suggested that bum B-Band converters could be the cause, so I asked DTV to send me a new set, but I'm not certain that's the issue since I have the same issue on both my HR20 and HR21, seemingly on all 4 tuners.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for giving a forum newb some help :).

Sounds like something happening here at my house recently. On clear nights to top it off. I'll be checking back to see how this works out for you.

Sort of, but the glitching unfortunately isn't momentarily - the picture will glitch consistently for anywhere from a few minutes to hours, making the feed completely unwatchable for that period of time. It's pretty much exactly what you'd see when the signal is low due to rain fade, etc. (I'll even get the customer service messages), but when I check the signal at that point in time, it looks fine.

this has been happening to me also, SD channels are fine, but i get alot of "searching for signal" with breakups... I'm in eastern iowa...

I got my new b-band converters today. FWIW, they were different than the ones I had - black casing rather than gray. Maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part, but the build quality seemed superior.

At any rate, I'll report back if I have a recurrence or if I get through the weekend without one, whichever comes first. In the meantime, if anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears. This has been frustrating - if U-Verse was available at my place, I probably would've jumped ship by now...

Status
Please reply by conversation.