Video Issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stilllearning

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
Michigan
I have an HR21-100 with the latest update. Ever since that update, I have a video issue. Whenever I view an SD channel (all my locals are still in SD), I have to set the video ratio on the receiver to widescreen otherwise the graphics at the top, bottom, and sides of the screen are outside the parameters of my TVs screen, like it is stretched out. If I then change to a HD channel, I have the same issue until I change the video ratio to standard. But if I go back to the SD channel the same issue occurs and I have to reset the ratio to widescreen. I never changed any settings previous to this on either the TV or the receiver. Any ideas?

In that case I'm going to assume the TV is not HD capable. In the menu->settings->video, try the following:

Options: Native = OFF; Format = Original
TV Ratio: 4:3 (Standard)
TV Resolution: make sure only 480p is checked.

Let me know how it goes.

Last edited:
Actually it is HD. It's an Olevia 542i 42 inch LCD flat screen. I looked it up on Google. Apparently it is a widescreen, so I apologize for the confusion. I didn't think it was. The aspect ration is 16:9 if that helps.

In that case, try this:

Options: Native = OFF; Format = Pillar Box; Pillar Box Color = Your choice (I prefer black)
TV Ratio: 16:9 (Widescreen)
TV Resolution: make sure only 1080i is checked.

That did it! The only setting I set differently was format. When I set it to Pillar Box, the SD channel pictures shrunk to little boxes. I changed that setting to Crop and the picture came back. Thanks for your help KasumiX. I really appreciate it!

That did it! The only setting I set differently was format. When I set it to Pillar Box, the SD channel pictures shrunk to little boxes. I changed that setting to Crop and the picture came back. Thanks for your help KasumiX. I really appreciate it!

No sweat. Just keep in mind that Crop will zoom in to hide the sidebars but you'll also lose some picture on the top and bottom. This is a good way to go when watching letterboxed SD content, but regular 4:3 content may have an issue with losing the tops of people's heads. You can always use the format button on the remote to do a quick switch without going into the settings menu.

Yeah, I did notice that over the weekend. Thanks for the tip. Another question...every once in a while when turning to an HD channel from an SD channel the screen pops up a message telling me to push the Res button on the front panel of the receiver to 1080i to get maximum picture quality in HD. I tried pushing the button but the lit res light will not advance past 480p. My TV also shows I am in 480p on any channel, SD or HD. Any ideas?

I figured it out. The res button on the front panel has to be pushed twice before it advances to the next setting. I confirmed on the TV that the video is now 1080i. The picture looks really nice in HD now!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts