Video on demand and MRV over swm

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jodean

Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
SD
ok, i have a customer of mine that wanted VOD or she didnt want direct. So i called direct to make sure they offered VOD on the shows she wanted. Now i installed MRV system over swm at her place, and even if i can get a cat5 over to her dvr for her, im pretty sure that will disable MRV right??

Now if you do the old school MRV over a network can you do VOD also then? I think that would be the only way, disable MRV over swm and use the network, then hoping that will also let VOD work as well. I understand she would then need cat 5 to each receiver which would be a PITA to do.

Any other options???

why would they come up with something that disables another feature????????

Well 1st if this is newer hardware like the HR24 so forth what I would do is get the Broadband DECA installed. Run a coax cable drop where their router is that coax cable drop should go back to the SWIM Switch. Then plug the DECA in a power out let then connect one end to the new cable jack then take a network cable plug it into the DECA back to her router. After that you should see all 3 lights on the DECA be a solid green. After that just go to all of her receivers run the Multi Room Setup call the receivers whatever she want Living Rm so forth. Then on the receivers run the Network Setup go to Advance option they should all have their own separate IP from the router. Then you should run the internet test at the end of the test it should say the receiver is on the net now. With the DECA it will get all of her receivers on the net plus all the features and MVR all of them as well without having to mess with any extra cables.

that might be the way to go, yes its all h24 and is swim now, so just a rg6 to the router and one deca unit?? That sounds easy..

Are you SURE this will then enable VOD and MRV??

ok just to veryify, all the h24's can use the internal deca or do they need a second external deca unit then???

Last edited:
Yea that will do both. Unless they have a network drop next to every receiver then you can just hook up the receivers to them and forget the DECA. But most people don't have ethernet in every location. I plan on doing the ethernet solution since I wired my house up.

that might be the way to go, yes its all h24 and is swim now, so just a rg6 to the router and one deca unit?? That sounds easy..

Are you SURE this will then enable VOD and MRV??

Yeah just run a RG6 drop to the room where her router is put the jack near it. Then just make a same RG6 patch cable that will run to the cable jack on the wall back to the DECA. Then you will need a small network patch cable one comes with the DECA but its not very long. But when you get a small network patch cable plug it into the DECA then into her router. Then take the power adapter which screws into the DECA then plug the other end into a serge bar or wall outlet. After that the DECA should have 3 solid green lights which should indicate that the connection is all good. After that go to her receivers setup the Multi Room and go to Network setup then Advance each receiver should get their own IP from her router. Then just run internet test it will then let you know if the receiver has a internet connection. If it pass the test your good to go also she can log onto her Direct account and she should be able to see all of her equipment installed as well. Anyway this is what I had my installer do my install and did not have to worry about having a network drop in every room and extra patch cables as well. If all installers would put DECAs near the customers routers even on new constructions it would save them allot of time and get all the hardware up and running.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.