video on demand delayed

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't really understand why I am being attacked, unless it's for past disputes. First I offered a possible release date floated around there from installers, not hard truth by any means, but seemed reasonable and hardly bashed directv.

I have read Questioners posts in this thread and if anything he is the one being called names (troll) by others. And he is getting a vacation?

Well - while all this is going on - I have gone back thru D*s press releases, the only one I could find with anythig about streaming video is this:

DirecTV - Investor Relations - News Release

And it only says later this year. Is there another I am missing?

From where I sit, Swann is not the most reliable source for sure - I wouldn't count on him much at all. He has only taken another article and posted his own spin on it.

I would have to see where DirecTV made some type of official statement that VOD was launching in July before I would bash them with a statement saying 'more broken promises'. I think that was a bit strong, and intended to create exactly what it did - an argument.

I was attacked before I made that broken promises comment.

It is true the press release was basically a rewrite, but whether it should be credited to swanny or tvpredictions, it's clear the information they shared came from some type of directv source. They are credible enough not to just totally make things up.

I didn't realize trolls usually post fact filled press releases to contribute to a discussion.
One should not consider an article on the TVPredictions site equivalent to a corporate press release. At the same time, it is not a good idea to dismiss his articles out of hand as they are often based (however loosely) on press releases and statements from corporate officers.

Look Directv probably had every intention on releasing it in July but for whatever reason, its delayed and only delayed because we got some insider information from different sources. Directv never did directly say July. If we didn't read Swani or Multichannel news, we wouldn't know any different. Thats why they are gun shy about publicly releasing dates. Things happen and its better they tell us nothing then tell us a date and get reamed by negative naysayers. So take stuff from Swani with a grain of salt is about the only advice I can convey.

I was attacked before I made that broken promises comment.

NOPE. iceturkee said she doesn't believe SWANN - it had no mention of YOU. You made the broken promise quote in the VERY NEXT POST.

She said:

"you know how much credit i give swann...............zero! the part about being released in july was somewhat accurate at the time because this info was mentioned during the first quarter webcast. well, the second quarter webcast is next week so i'll be curious to find out what they say about this. i may ask unless someone beats me to it.'

One should not consider an article on the TVPredictions site equivalent to a corporate press release. At the same time, it is not a good idea to dismiss his articles out of hand as they are often based (however loosely) on press releases and statements from corporate officers.

Agreed, but Eric Shanks said they EXPECTED to have it ready in July. That is the context he said it in. He did not comitt to a launch date of July, and that is certainly different.

Agreed, but Eric Shanks said they EXPECTED to have it ready in July. That is the context he said it in. He did not comitt to a launch date of July, and that is certainly different.
I treat the words that emanate from Mr. Shanks as being no more or less credible than those of Mr. Swann.

Remember this gem from the Swanni interview 11 months ago?
Eric Shanks said:
The next national HD channel won't be just one; it will be a major launch of as many quality channels as are available. That will happen in the second quarter next year, when we'll have the capacity to launch more than 150 national channels.

Thanks for posting that - but for sure we are toaking abut two ddifferent offerings. The currently discussed VOD is only for the HD-DVR.
Agreed.

My post speaks more to the credibility of official DIRECTV VOD press releases than it does to the availability of either VOD offering. Thus far, I think we've been getting much better information out of IceT's Robert Mercer communications than we have in going back and looking at old press releases. At the same time, we have to remember that Robert Mercer probably has to sign off on all official DIRECTV press releases.

listen guys, i was in the news business long enough to know that pr people are only going to tell you what they want released. and even if you have great inside sources, asking a pr person about facts you have uncovered is often like pulling teeth.

that said some are better than others. some will actually give you a meaningful statement. some will check on things for you and never get back to you. some will tell give you an answer without being specific.

i haven't had enough dealings with bob mercer yet to give him a total solid. but he has been fairly good about getting back to me in a timely fashion and i like that considering i'm not really working in the news biz anymore. but i have certainly told him my background, why i'm retired and why i feel satguys does a viable job keeping internet folks apprised of what's going on with directv. that has given me, i hope, some credibility.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts