video on demand delayed

Status
Please reply by conversation.
They are making their own bed folks. Let them lie in it.

They are going to have a shocker soon. And if it means the end of the CE program so be it.

I think many folks see the Bullsh!t they are pulling but they have not wanted to say anything publiclly about it out of fear of being castaway.

Trust me a lot of these folks (including guys with special titles) have been sending me all kind of documents from Earl and the folks he has been working with.

They are digging their own hole.

On behalf of the entire satellite community I would like to appologize to those who spent all day being traped by their stupid little game.

To me, it would be fine for them to do this in a ChitChat forum. It is obvious that Earl and his guys have alot of inside information and SatGuys isn't privy to it at this time. If they want to have "fun", take it to chit-chat. I just read through 5 pages of BS only to find that it lead nowhere. Sure, you can say if you don't like it, don't go there, but...for the time being, it is the site DirecTV has chosen to release "insider" information. Don't start a thread talking about the "magic code", when in reality it is no more than a game.

If anyone really thinks something "official" like a code for VOD would be in a thread like that well...don't expect that kind of thing.

Look, if and when VOD comes down the pike you can be sure there will be an official stickied thread there followed shortly by one here I am sure as well as Swanni and all the press will be all over it. We'll all know it quickly.

They are making their own bed folks. Let them lie in it.

They are going to have a shocker soon. And if it means the end of the CE program so be it.

I just don't get your venom here Scott. The CE program benefits *everyone*. Just because DirecTV has chosen a site that isn't yours to work with is no reason to destroy all the hard work that has been done. No different then Tivo working with TCF on their beta programs or any number of other hardware and software companies that work beta programs with a particular site. That would be like me saying "hey you, you better work with the Bonscott Blog too or else!" ;) I know you don't like DBSTalk or the people that run it, but your personal dislike should not be used to break down a program that has caused a lot of good for 16.5 million DirecTV subscribers. I hope you don't let your hate cloud your judgment.

On behalf of the entire satellite community I would like to appologize to those who spent all day being traped by their stupid little game.

Honestly, anyone who thought that was anything but just fooling around really needs to get themselves in check. Anything like an actual code to activate VOD will be officially announced and everyone should know that.

bonscott lets look at it this way, you have a forum that people are suppose to come to to learn about ce releases, and all this wonderful directv information... and they pull stunts like this, its their "offical' forum and they treat it like a joke, thats where people get upset, and i think it was a thread that should not have been created.

It is the second such thread started that drew a lot of views to a page that really end up going nowhere. The other thread about "spilling the beans" that netted over 25,000 views was about a "soon to come" avatar showcase. Many users spent hours trying to figure out "the code" because they belived it was leading to VOD.

Let's be perfectly honest...Those of us geeky enough to follow these two sites so passionately are very eager to see VOD released. We will google, search, read articles and do whatever it take to find out when this feature is coming. I am sure that part of the revenue that comes to the sites is based on how many views the site gets in a day. I don't think it is right to start these threads inside the CE forum. It is stated that DirecTV looks at those forums for information about their beta software. If I were to start a rumor in that forum, I would be chastised by the admins for doing so. If they want to have fun....go to it...it's their playground. I just think that if DirecTV is going to choose DBSTalk as "the place" than they should take that responsibility seriously.

I think there have been some well said posts in this thread. I dont want to censor anyone and we here at Sat Guys value everyone's opinion (even the wrong ones :p). That being said, I think we have twisted this talk pretty good and we should get back on topic.

If anyone has any information to share about VOD, please feel free to share. I can live without it, but my curious side is dying to try it. I want it right and well done but the anticipation has been building for a long time. So hopefully the next time we talk about this, it will be details around folks actually using it. :cool:

Mikew - they would chastise you - they would just delete your thread :)

ScottG - your post leaves a lot to interpetation and I agree with bonscott - the CE process has done alot of good for the common user.

Are they doing some childish things itching the itch for VOD - yes.
Should anything come of it that jepordizes the process - I hope not.

Let's hope, for all's sake, that Sept 15 starts a ton of new HD, and Sept 17 starts VOD,

...and Sept 20 they annouce waiving extra receiver fees, and Sept 23 they announce free premiums, and Sept 26 they annouce free HD...oh wait I was dreaming again

Let's hope, for all's sake, that Sept 15 starts a ton of new HD, and Sept 17 starts VOD,

...and Sept 20 they annouce waiving extra receiver fees, and Sept 23 they announce free premiums, and Sept 26 they annouce free HD...oh wait I was dreaming again

can I get a copy of your calender :)

I will make it simple.

But first let me appologize as I got out of hand in this. There were a bunch of things happening at once and it all snow balled until I blew my top (and with the hair I got left I shouldn't really be doing that)

I just want the information posted so that others can learn and benefit from it.

I don't care who posts it. Earl could come post it himself with links to discussions over there and I would't care because people are learning and benefiting.

What I don't like is them trying to hide the news in private areas so that we can't report it to you. What I find funny is that they seem to be banning folks that they assume to be me or other staff members.

Let me let their staff in on a little secret... There is a great free service at logmein.com. I use it. I sent a friend of mine in another state a laptop that has a broken screen, he plugged it in and truned it on for me and got me connected to his wirless network. I am fully able to login anytime I want. PLease stop banning innocent people, its silly and childish.

Now back to the CE stuff if you have news then post it, don't tease people all day that you have some big news then after people have been refreshing all day say, that you were just kidding and it was all a joke.

I am sure people have nothing better to do all day then hit refresh. What DirecTV is doing with their receiver (especially the HR20 is amazing) all of us DirecTV customers are sitting on the edge of our seats waiting for the new stuff. To tease people all day about a big announcement and then after all day of clicing refresh to say it was just a joke is just plain wrong.

I think its safe for me to say that both Earl and I want DirecTV to release the very best product they can.

I say enough is enough, if we are both truely interested in giving information to be shared to users everywhere the Earl nees to make it so that everyone can view CE releases or share the information freely (or post it here himself) so that others can.... FEEL THE JOY.

Now back to the CE stuff if you have news then post it, don't tease people all day that you have some big news then after people have been refreshing all day say, that you were just kidding and it was all a joke.

This is my biggest issue. I understand there are times when folks get inside info that can't be immediately shared. Teasers such as...I've got big news, stay tuned, will post details on Monday is fine. But for a mod at the level of Tom posting "Magic info" as a joke is just not right.

Sorry Brewer4 for continuing my rant against your previous request to get back to topic. I will now hide the keyboard for the rest of the night to prevent myself from impulsively posting :)

This is my biggest issue. I understand there are times when folks get inside info that can't be immediately shared. Teasers such as...I've got big news, stay tuned, will post details on Monday is fine. But for a mod at the level of Tom posting "Magic info" as a joke is just not right.

Sorry Brewer4 for continuing my rant against your previous request to get back to topic. I will now hide the keyboard for the rest of the night to prevent myself from impulsively posting :)

Dont worry about it at all. You said everything I would have and that was less typing for me! I am glad you are here and welcome any folks that wish to contribute. I really enjoy the CE process and I know I have contributed with my feedback. Our end goals are the same as Scott mentioned. Nuff said.

What I don't like is them trying to hide the news in private areas so that we can't report it to you.

I say enough is enough, if we are both truely interested in giving information to be shared to users everywhere the Earl nees to make it so that everyone can view CE releases or share the information freely (or post it here himself) so that others can.... FEEL THE JOY.

Scott, I'm not quite sure what private areas you are talking about. All one needs to do to view anything in the CE area at DBSTalk is have an account. And all you need for an account is an email address (any old email address will do, create yourself a new gmail or yahoo one just for DBSTalk if you want). That's hardly private. ;)

Anyway, glad you posted a follow-up and admitted that you just blew your top. That means a lot I'm sure to many people. It never looks good to rant and rave in public, even if it's really how you feel or even if it's true.

Scott, I'm not quite sure what private areas you are talking about. All one needs to do to view anything in the CE area at DBSTalk is have an account. And all you need for an account is an email address (any old email address will do, create yourself a new gmail or yahoo one just for DBSTalk if you want). That's hardly private.

Its private as you have to register and then agree to the CE rules and sign up. So its not exactly public. I agree not hard to do but it does require a few more things then an open forum.

Why require a membership only for that one area??

What are they trying to hide?

If you try reading it without being logged in it says "Private Forum"

Why dont they want people to see what they are posting there?

If they have nothing to hide then open it up to all. If they can't do this then what are they tryng to hide?

If Earl is serious about wanting to inform people on DirecTV then he needs to open it to ALL ASAP. IF Earl wnts to be a wuss and hide hs information then he does nothing.

Don't be a wuss Earl.

Making the area "private" really hasn't done anything to effect their user numbers, which haven't really climbed at all, it just locked out the folks who would rather not register (and we have folks who do the same here.

The internet has been made to SHARE Information Earl, not hide it behind a wall.

Earl tear down this wall.

My thought is it's "private" mainly to keep the information from being captured by web crawlers like Google. That was the main reason bantered about when it went to registered members. Maybe it's something DirecTV wanted so that casual searching on google doesn't bring up features and such that aren't released yet. This protects their support folks from calls from "Joe Sixpack" about features that don't exist yet and they aren't trained on.

Thus for those of us who want this info, we can find it easily and the press can also report on it easy enough.

Who knows I guess.

Other then that there is no wall. Less then a minute and you're viewing the information. But you keep google out. I just don't see the issue here.

Thats not the case at all, if that were the case DirecTV would not have told us to just copy Earls postings here.

Tear down the wall.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts