Video on Demand

Status
Please reply by conversation.

McVey

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
Could someone please tell me what the deal is with vod??? Directv has been promising it for 2 years now and still nothing!.

chase carey said during the first quarter webcast in may, it was currently in beta and expected to be release some time this summer.

There's a potential that the next or one of the next CE release for the HR20 will have VOD available. Its still speculative but the tea leaves are pointing to something in the next month or two at the latest. ;)

I can't wait for this to come out either. Goodbye NetFlix

I can't wait for this to come out either. Goodbye NetFlix

If a good portion is free or a base amount for unlimited I will do it. Its gotta have a good inventory but yes I am considering losing Netflix too. I just hate getting nickle and dimed especially if its 3 or 4 bucks a movie. Then Netflix is a better deal for me since I can get DVD's next day since Hartford is a good distribution site and fast.

Could someone please tell me what the deal is with vod??? Directv has been promising it for 2 years now and still nothing!.

D* has NOT been promising it for 2 years now.
It was not even mentioned in the original HD sat expansion plans ....

Jimbo

Actually, I think VOD was first announced at the 2005 CES.

Correction: The first mention of VOD was in a November, 2005 press release.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=779572&highlight=

But, did they say it was part of the new sat upgrade that will give us the 100 new HD channels ?
After rereading this, it refers to ONLY the NBC affiliated channels, I think most are talking about movies when they mention VOD.

Personally, as of this point, I see NO need for VOD, I rarley rent movies on PPV let alone paying for a NETWORK show AFTER it's been aired.... Thats what I have a DVR for. :)

It MAY be interesting to have VOD as an option IF you can get 1st run movies a week after they are released to the theatres, or if you can watch upcoming network programming that has not yet aired, like the old wild feeds with my old C-Band set up........

Jimbo

But, did they say it was part of the new sat upgrade that will give us the 100 new HD channels ?
After rereading this, it refers to ONLY the NBC affiliated channels, I think most are talking about movies when they mention VOD.

Personally, as of this point, I see NO need for VOD, I rarley rent movies on PPV let alone paying for a NETWORK show AFTER it's been aired.... Thats what I have a DVR for. :)

It MAY be interesting to have VOD as an option IF you can get 1st run movies a week after they are released to the theatres, or if you can watch upcoming network programming that has not yet aired, like the old wild feeds with my old C-Band set up........

Jimbo

Nope that was totally different.

I probably wouldn't use the VOD for anything that was mentioned either. However, if it was like what I used to have at a previous house with Time Warner's HBO/Showtime VOD, that would be a different story. Always having their movies and shows available to choose from instead of trying to figure out when they come on to either watch or use the DVR was a lot easier. They even had other free channel VOD shows which was a plus.

I probably wouldn't use the VOD for anything that was mentioned either. However, if it was like what I used to have at a previous house with Time Warner's HBO/Showtime VOD, that would be a different story. Always having their movies and shows available to choose from instead of trying to figure out when they come on to either watch or use the DVR was a lot easier. They even had other free channel VOD shows which was a plus.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against VOD, it's just something I don't see myself using very often.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)