Video on how to upgrade PS3

This video applies to the original ps3 that was released at launch. I just brought a 40gig ps3 and upgraded the hard drive to a 250gig hard drive and the install was all together different from my older 60gig ps3 that I upgrade to 120gig ps3.

This video shows the hard drive has to be move from left to right to uninstall the old hard drive and right to left to install the new hard drive. That is how the original 20g and the 60g ps3 was setup. On my new 40g ps3 you pull the old hard drive straight out and you push the new hard drive straight in.

On the original 20g and the 60g ps3. After the hard drive swap out, the ps3 software automatically saw the new hard drive and ask you to format the new drive.

The new 40g ps3 saw the new hard drive as a error and ask me for the ps3 software. I had download the ps3 software with my pc to place the most recent ps3 software update to a flash drive. On the flash drive I made a ps3 directory and update folder and drag and drop the software there. Connect the flash drive to one of the 2 usb ports. Than I had to press and hold select and start on the ps3 controller to allow the ps3 to scan the flash drive for the latest ps3 software update. Once the ps3 found the update, the ps3 gave me the option to format the new hard drive.

On the original 20g and the 60g ps3 version software is in the ps3 memory. On the 40g ps3 the software is stored on the hard drive. So if you remove the hard drive or some how the drive goes bad. Than your 40g and maybe the 80g is a shinning black brick until you install a new hard drive with the lastest ps3 software.

Maybe there's are more recent video for the newer ps3.

This video applies to the original ps3 that was released at launch. I just brought a 40gig ps3 and upgraded the hard drive to a 250gig hard drive and the install was all together different from my older 60gig ps3 that I upgrade to 120gig ps3.

This video shows the hard drive has to be move from left to right to uninstall the old hard drive and right to left to install the new hard drive. That is how the original 20g and the 60g ps3 was setup. On my new 40g ps3 you pull the old hard drive straight out and you push the new hard drive straight in.

On the original 20g and the 60g ps3. After the hard drive swap out, the ps3 software automatically saw the new hard drive and ask you to format the new drive.

The new 40g ps3 saw the new hard drive as a error and ask me for the ps3 software. I had download the ps3 software with my pc to place the most recent ps3 software update to a flash drive. On the flash drive I made a ps3 directory and update folder and drag and drop the software there. Connect the flash drive to one of the 2 usb ports. Than I had to press and hold select and start on the ps3 controller to allow the ps3 to scan the flash drive for the latest ps3 software update. Once the ps3 found the update, the ps3 gave me the option to format the new hard drive.

On the original 20g and the 60g ps3 version software is in the ps3 memory. On the 40g ps3 the software is stored on the hard drive. So if you remove the hard drive or some how the drive goes bad. Than your 40g and maybe the 80g is a shinning black brick until you install a new hard drive with the lastest ps3 software.

Maybe there's are more recent video for the newer ps3.

Wow that's HEAVIE!!lol:D Thank you i had no idea the newer one's were different!:eek:

I guess this is something I should've done when I first got my 40G, but any recommendations on the best way to transfer games, demos, and music files from the original drive to the new one?

I've gone to the trouble of ripping about 40 CDs onto my PS3, as I like to hear the tracks in order. If I put them on a flash or external HDD connected to the PS3, they play in alphabetical order. Will I have to re-rip everything to the new PS3 drive?

40g PS3 Hard drive troubles

Hi,

i´m triing to upgrade the hard drive on a 40g PS3, but asks me for system update when the new drive is installed. I´ve tried it with 2 different flash drives and with a CD to, but ps3 doesn´t recognize those drives.
How can i do the actualization?

Please Help

Yhank you all

You need to make sure the flash drive is formatted as FAT32 before loading the system update info. However, if you have an extra external HDD lying around, the best way to upgrade your PS3 HDD is to create a "restore" on the external drive before removing the old internal HDD . Then once the new drive is in, you go to the system settings menu to intall the "restore" data. This way your new drive will have exactly all the same data (including audio, video, games demos, DLC, etc.) as the old one. I just did this couple months ago after viewing this video. Couldn't have been easier.

[ame="http://gear.ign.com/dor/articles/915907/diy-ps3-hard-drive-upgrade/videos/PS3HDFeature093008.html"]IGN Video: DIY: PS3 Hard Drive Upgrade Gear - PS3 HD Upgrade[/ame]

Hi,

i´m triing to upgrade the hard drive on a 40g PS3, but asks me for system update when the new drive is installed. I´ve tried it with 2 different flash drives and with a CD to, but ps3 doesn´t recognize those drives.
How can i do the actualization?

Please Help

Yhank you all

Demende did you make a ps3 folder or directory on the flash drives and inside the ps3 folder. Make a update folder and place the new update or ps3 os in the update folder. Then put the usb flash drive in the ps3 and reboot. The ps3 will see the update and ask you to format the drive.

Here is a example link. PlayStation.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)