Video quality problem with 522

prusakolep

Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
I am running into a problem with the video quality with my 522 receiver that stumps me. Hopefully someone here will have a good suggestion or personal experience that might help.

I have bought a Panasonic plasma display (42'', TH-42PWD7UY model). When I connected the 522 receiver to it, I am seeing horizontal bands or lighter/darker video, slowly scrolling up the screen. It looks like about 2'' significantly lighter band, followed by about half a screen of slightly lighter, then another half screen of darker video. It's really annoying to watch, and it's particularly visible on uniform background.

This effect occurs regardless how I connect the receiver - I tried S-video and composite cable. So it seems that the cables are not the problem. I have also tried to connect a DVD player through the same cables, and I get a perfect picture that way. Moreover, what I noticed is that with some S-Video cables (e.g. the one that came with the receiver) I get an additional distortion with rapidly moving very thin diagonal light/dark bands!

When this receiver was connected to a CRT TV (Sony) the first problem did not occur - or was not visible. However, the second problem with the rapid diagonal bands was visible on the CRT TV when connected through S-Video, although I don't recall seeing that before I got the plasma TV.

So the question I am trying to figure out is whether this is sufficient evidence to say that my receiver is defective? Or perhaps "they all do that". I could get it replaced by Dish, but if I get another one that does the same thing, I won't be too happy, and Dish will probably want to charge me for switching a non-defective receiver :(

So it would be good to hear if anyone was able to get a good picture from this receiver (or another Dish receiver) on a plasma TV, ideally on a Panasonic plasma.

Thanks for all the help you can provide. Eventually I'll upgrade to an HDTV receiver, but what's currently available won't work for me, so I need to wait.

Problems with the WB22 in Raleigh, NC

DISH Network Fills Local-Channel Void

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts