Video signal compatibility to an LCD computer monitor

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The Dell 22" widescreen monitor I have has composite & S-Video in addition to the VGA and DVI inputs. I have my DishNetwork TR-40 plugged into the composite input so I can watch our local DTV stations (WSBT-WX mostly) in a PIP. I could run an S-Video cable from my ViP 211 to the monitor, but I don't see the advantage in doing that since I have a nice Toshiba HDTV connected via the HDMI.

If you really wanted to do it right, the Samsung 2333HD 23" LCD computer monitor is actually a 1920x1080 HDTV that has component, VGA, DVI, and 2 HDMI inputs. Staples was selling it for as low as $250 ("normal" price is $279).
In hindsight, it would have been nice to get a monitor that has more input ability, but I don't want to buy another one now.

I rewired things for this setup (not that anyone really cares, but it is possible):
  • SAT TV1 RGB output to HDTV via component (actually composite cables)
  • SAT TV1 HDMI output to Computer monitor via DVI adaptor (could benefit from a DVI switch, but for the little I switch - I just have it manual now)
  • SAT TV1 Audio RCA output to AV receiver (so I can output to the home theater and Zone 2 to the computer speakers in the office)
  • SAT TV2 Coax output to TV2
I can control the ViP722 when I'm in another room on the computer by putting the receiver into single mode and using the remote for TV2 (uhf). So I'm thinking abuot spending the $15-$20 for a replacement remote for TV1. I think it just needs to be a 6.3 Remote that can do IR/UHF (even if someone says it's only for TV2).

So one cool thing I can do now is watch my OTA on my computer monitor! Basically I just got another viewing source for the satellite by using the simultaneous output of TV1. Thanks to everyone for your comments - without this forum I never would have known what the ViP722 could do to make it work.

I just ruled out the option of using the HDMI output of the satellite with a HDMI to DVI adaptor. My monitor only would say 'input not supported' (or something close to that) and then not display anything. I tried it straight through with no splitters and also through my AV receiver on different output settings. Oh well, now back to the RGB & VGA option.
720p setting fixed this problem.

Short answer to the OP question: no it won't work with that cable.

There are a comple minor drawbacks of having the RGB feeding the HDTV (like the passthrough option of my AV receiver for HDMI). But the picture seemed brighter (not necessarily better) with RGB instease of HDMI on my TV.

Not RGB

The big problem was you kept thinking that component and RGB were the same. That's what Bradtothebone explained that they are not. So in future please state whether you are referring to component (Y-Pb-Pr) or RGB ( red, green, & blue w/ext H-V sync).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)