Video signal compatibility to an LCD computer monitor

bebop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Idaho
Can I use this connector:

VGA to 3 RCA component video cable (HD15 - 3-RCA)

To connect the RGB output of my ViP722 to my computer monitor & have the the image display via the 15-Pin VGA input.

The notes on the monoprice site indicate that:
IT WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO CONNECT YOUR COMPONENT VIDEO SOURCES TO A REGULAR COMPUTER MONITOR OR HDTV unless you monitor specifically has this capability. Most do not. (Please check the documentation for your computer monitor)

Here is my monitor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009127&Tpk=x193w

I don't want to waste the money on the cable if it won't work, so I need to find out if the output from the ViP722 is compatible with a newer LCD monitor input.

If anyone knows from the technical end if this will work (especially if you've tried it), please let me know. Or if you know what kind of signal is being output and what is needed for input - that might get me started in the right direction.

Thanks - as always!

Last edited:
Since your monitor has HDCP support, you could go hdmi to dvi via a cheap adapter. (Not really your question but I thought I'd mention it.)

Edit: Ah, now I see the problem. Component video has a luminance signal Y (total brightness) and two difference signals, Y-R (Y minus Red) and Y-B (Y minus Blue). RGB in a computer VGA cable actually has 5 signal leads, the red, green, and blue, along with a horizontal and vertical sync. Your monitor would explicitly have to accept those three component video signals, but I cannot see that it does.

The aforementioned digital cable would work!

Last edited:
Good idea, but unfortunately not the best idea if I'm already using the HMDI port for my HDTV. I thought of that already, especially since I'm using a DVI to HDMI adaptor on my computer to get the computer display to my HDTV.

TheKrell - I realized right away that the H&V sync was not being sent, but I haven't been able to tell what the ViP722 outputs nor what the monitor needs for an input. The specs don't mention either (from what I could find so far).

Has anyone tried connecting their computer monitor from their satellite using the compontent (RGB) output?

My monitor has two inputs: DVI & VGA. I wouldn't be opposed to switching cables around - but I don't have a HDMI splitter to utilize 2 devices on the 1 HDMI output of the receiver.

I do have a home theater unit: Onkoy TX-SR606 - but that only outputs to 1 HDMI (My TV) with 3 inputs - so I don't think that helps at all.

Looks like my options are:
1) Get a HDMI splitter, a HDMI to DVI adapter and switch my cabling on my computer whenever I want to watch the satellite
or
2) Find out if the VGA to Component cable will work with my setup
or
3) Something else?

I'm very much into the simple solution to get my satellite image on my computer monitor - but I was hoping to use the RGB output because the primary display I use is my HDTV (not my computer).

Because I only have 1 DVI input to my monitor and I just wanted to see if I could use the RGB to VGA cable or not.

I'd be happy to do that if I rule out the main question here. Thanks for the alternate idea.

I'm guessing no one here (so far) has tried to make this type of connection. I looked around a bit more and there was mention of removing pin 12 from the VGA connector if there are compatibility issues on some sites.

Does anyone know what information is put out on the RGB outputs of TV1? I'm guessing it's just each of the three 'colors' and the return with no horizontal or vertical sync.

The plan right now is to wait a few more days or weeks and see if I can find the answer. If I get nowhere I'll just order the cable ($15 or so) and see if I can make it work. Maybe there is another site more on the computer monitor end that would know if mine could accept the RGB output.

I just ruled out the option of using the HDMI output of the satellite with a HDMI to DVI adaptor. My monitor only would say 'input not supported' (or something close to that) and then not display anything. I tried it straight through with no splitters and also through my AV receiver on different output settings. Oh well, now back to the RGB & VGA option.

The breakout cable won't do because there is no Horizontal or Vertical sync? If not, I don't know why.

That, and component video is NOT RGB - it's luminance ("Y") and two color difference signals ("Pb" and "Pr").

Brad
Okay, I think I'm getting somewhere now. I haven't been able to confirm what is really being output on the ViP722 from the specs.

Is it Y Pb & Pr? Or something else?

The 722 outputs Y, Pb, Pr component video with RGB color space, as I recall. That makes it possible (with the proper converter) to convert to RGBHV and have "correct" color. It's just expensive to do it.

Brad

So an HDTV can handle the signal because it has the expensive hardware in it already - but a simple LCD computer monitor through the VGA port can't?

I'm wondering if there is a way to short out some of the pins and make it work, but I'd have to buy one first and test it out.

RGB = Red, Green, Blue. These are analog signals that represent the three additive primary colors used in computer monitors. In a three signal cable, the horizontal and vertical sync signals are sent on the Green cable.

Y-Pb-Pr = Lumina (Y), Difference between Blue and Lumina (B-Y), Difference between Red and Lumina (R-Y). Analog version of the digital versions of these signals that, due to compression technologies, lead to more efficent compression than a pure Red, Green, & Blue signal.

Since computers generate their screens in a local video graphics unit, there is no need to compress the signals for transmssion to the monitor. That's why it's cheaper and more efficient to use RGB for a computer monitor.

MPEG compresses signals after they have been converted from the RGB color space to the Y-Pb-Pr color space. That's why DVDs, DBS, and other consumer electronics use this form of the Component Color space instead of the RGB space: it's saves the CE manufactures money.

Unfortuntely, it means you cannot use an RGB breakout cable to connect your CE device to a computer monitor. If you're adventurous, there are circuit diagrams available to make your own Y-Pb-Pr --> RGB converter for ~$50 in parts. Here's one: http://elm-chan.org/works/yuv2rgb/yuv2rgb1.png

Or, I found a site that has a Component to VGA converter (no scaling) for about $125: Component to VGA + Audio Adapter

Thanks Foxbat. Keep up the folding.

I finally got my HDMI out on my ViP722 to work with my computer monitor, by changing the output resolution to 720p (thanks to RAM electronics support). So at least I have a way to get the signal.

Now I think I'll try using the Component output of the ViP722 to my AV receiver and use the HDMI output to my computer monitor with a DVI adaptor. I just need to get sound wired to both my AV receiver and my computer speakers. So I'm contemplating a good way to do that.

It would be awesome if I could get both my HDTV and my computer setup to be able to watch the satellite at the same time or one at a time with only a switch or two. I think I need some more cables though.

So far no one else has mentioned that they have their HDTV and their computer displaying the satellite image...

The Dell 22" widescreen monitor I have has composite & S-Video in addition to the VGA and DVI inputs. I have my DishNetwork TR-40 plugged into the composite input so I can watch our local DTV stations (WSBT-WX mostly) in a PIP. I could run an S-Video cable from my ViP 211 to the monitor, but I don't see the advantage in doing that since I have a nice Toshiba HDTV connected via the HDMI.

If you really wanted to do it right, the Samsung 2333HD 23" LCD computer monitor is actually a 1920x1080 HDTV that has component, VGA, DVI, and 2 HDMI inputs. Staples was selling it for as low as $250 ("normal" price is $279).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)