Video stutters/freezes

cornflakes

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 9, 2005
Hi everyone... I'm hoping someone could help shed some light on this once and for all.

I have a 722k and a 922, and they both periodically would have this issue where the video would stutter for a second or two. When this happens, the video would pixellate and pause, the audio will either cut out, stutter, or make kind of a buzzing noise. And then things will go back to normal, but during those 2 seconds when this was happening, that's pretty much gone. If I rewind the DVR, the same thing will happen during that segment.

For what it's worth, it seems to happen more frequently on the 722k than the 922.

I thought it might be a signal issue. We have a very clear line of sight, no trees in the way, the dish is mounted on the roof of the 2nd story, and we're the tallest house in the area. I'm not quite sure how to read the different transponders/satellite locations and the meters. The meter seems to go between 52 to 80 depending on which ones I click on.

Another thing is I had Dish 4 years ago, when I had a 622. That was installed (by Dish) at one house, then I moved and took everything with, had Dish install a new dish at my 2nd house, and the same thing happened at both places back then. Now in my third house, the same thing is still happening and with different DVRs this time.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening? Thank you!

At least a couple of possibilities. (Others do see this also)

The signal from the satellite to your receiver may be good, it is possible there is an occasional disruption from the Dish site to the satellite.
Another possibility, the HDMI connection. Someone would need to use a component connection and see if it happens. (Not that you have a bad HDMI connection, it could be because it checks the signal and a slight corruption occurs and causes the blip)

One other, the hard drive since it is always recording perhaps hiccups?

I vote for tree branches blowing into the LOS.

When you are seeing this problem, do a menu - 6 - 1 - 1 and read which satellite, transponder, and SS you are getting. If the SS varies, then this is likely caused by leaves.

I would also guess it's some sort of signal hiccup since it's happening on both receivers in the home.

How often is the pixelation happening (e.g. once in a 30 minute show, once every couple days)?

Something similar happened to us recently, but I think our problem was that the hard drive overheated and went bad. Can you hear the fan on the receiver frequently cut on, even if you aren't watching TV? If so, you may want to back up whatever is on your receiver's hard drive to an external drive as soon as you can. Since you've had the problem multiple times, I wonder if you place the receivers in an entertainment center that doesn't have much clearance between the receiver and the shelves around it.

Thanks for the replies! To answer some diagnostic questions:

1. HDMI Cable: Not likely because this is happening on TVs connected via component and coax too.

2. Hard Drive: The fans don't come on.

3. How Often: On the 922, I'll notice it maybe once every 2 days or so (I watch about 3 hours of recorded programming each night). On the 722, it seems to happen maybe about once an hour.

4. Line of Sight Issue: Certainly not ruling that out... I'm going to look around to see if I can locate nearby trees... it's a little difficult to immediately check the signal when I get the stutter because it only happens for a second or 2, and then it goes away. By the time I get to the check signal screen, I'm sure it'll be back to normal by then...

Are there any sort of logs or debugging that would show this information in the DVR?

Blech! That is annoying. You might still use menu 6-1-1 to tell us which transponder that is, and leave it on the SS meter and watch it to see if it varies a lot.

After viewing the video, (good job) in my opinion that is a signal problem. Since it has happened at three (?) places on more than just one DVR, I would lean towards a problem from the broadcaster, or the link with Dish. Any chance it only happens on your locals? Otherwise it can't be that because everyone would see it and then I would say even though it has happened at other homes, it would have to be something at your location.

The audio stutter is something discussed with at least one long thread. I get it every once in awhile as do many others. Sometimes it is in the same spot when I play it back, but sometimes it does not happen when I play it back.

call me crazy..

but first.. that you captured it on DVR and can replay it to get the same or similar effect after.. really does suggest signal issue.

but .. that it was happening before .. you moved, it happened again, you moved and now again with different receivers, different dish itself and more than likely they provided all new cabling each time..

... that its something you're bringing with you.

I'm thinking an electronic device ... or something with a motor.. fridge, freezer, window AC unit (wouldn't happen much during the winter you'd think) a power strip or UPS, or one of those Ionic Breeze type things? a humidifier? de-humidifier? ... bug light?

Because its happening more on the 722k ... maybe its something closer to it, or closer to its signal path... that it happens to the 922 suggests maybe back feeding or its causing a problem near the dish, and the 722 is more sensitive (for what ever reason).

I know its a bizarre idea.. but it would explain it.. :)

TG2 - if it is happening only on his locals, then I would say it is an uplink issue. One local, an uplink issue or issue with the station.

Double read (`red`) again.. didn't see local ota through sat downlink as only source.. but was tired then and just wakin' up now.. :) eye's barely functioning either time.. LOL..

Thanks for the responses! You know I never paid attention to which channels it's happening to. I do watch a lot of broadcast programming so I'll pay attention to whether it's happening to the other channels as well.

Hmm, I'm going to have the 722k and the 922 record the same shows and see if the issue happens on the same show on the same spot, that'll be a good test of something, right?

I'm not too sure about the interference issue. The room where the 722k is in has very minimal amount of electronics (it's a bedroom), but certainly something I'll pay attention to as well. We don't have anything like bug lights or large motors other than the fridge that would draw a large amount of electricity suddenly.

And yes, new cabling in each house each time. New dish, new cables, new LNB.

What are your signal levels, perhaps you have low marginal signal that drops momentarily as the satellite wobbles.

Hi guys, an update on what I've found...

1. I've got a couple of examples where the stutter happens at the same spot on both DVRs. So that should rule out the DVR or HDMI issues.

2. It seems to happen on the local channels. Among the locals I only watch Fox (KTLA 11) and NBC (KNBC 4). The cable channels seem to be ok, but I can't say for certain 100% that cable channels are not involved. I'm going to continue to keep an eye on them. Could just be a coincidence.

3. Signal level for KTLA 11, which I believe is Satellite 129, Spotbeam 4, the signal shows 55. I see it fluctuate between 53 and 56. I haven't seen it drop but then again I can only stare at a signal meter for so long!

Let's say it is an issue with the local feed into Dish Network... are there other people in Los Angeles that are seeing the same problem? It's a pretty big market, so I would imagine if that is the issue, many others would be complaining of the same thing?

I have experienced the problem described on a couple of occasions. I have a DPP44 switch plugged in behind the main receiver in my great room. Was advised to unplug the power cord to the switch and wait 10-15 minutes, then repower. On both occasions, the symptoms described were corrected. Just a thought.

Hmm, ok I've looked but I don't think I have a switch as far as I can tell... I think I might have one of those switches that's integrated in the LNB? (Not sure if that's right)...?

Press menu-6-1-1-check switch, and tell us what shows in the row labeled "Switch"

Since you only have 2 receivers and HD equipment, chances are it has a built in switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)