viewing these forums takes forever on dway/hughs!

xan_user

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2004
The pages on this forum take over one minute to load. The header downloads instantly, but the body take 60-90 seconds or more to load. I do not have this problem on anyother websites, or via dial up.

Any clues?

Any one else have this problem?

I have a DW7000 pro plan on hor1 @ 1170. winxp

I've had the same problem as well, though the wait between the header and page body loading was not as extreme. More like 10 seconds.

This is on broadband (wired) connections.

Exact same thing here, I have Cable internet access. This is not new however, has been this way for awhile. Header loads right away, it takes some time for the rest to load. Once in awhile it doesn't load and I have to refresh.

The difference in page load times seems to have coincided with the new forum software, but I'm not certain there's a coorelation.

It use to be alot worse. Back about 3 or 4 months ago it was awfull, but now when I do an install and check in it takes about 10 to 15 seconds for the pages to come up.

It's possibly a combination of VBulletin, the db server, and the latency. The page loads a few seconds after the header for me as well.

I'm on the Direcway Home plan and I have no problems loading any pages here. Within 2-3 seconds everything is up and ready.

You might check out your Proxy settings, make sure it has 192.168.0.1 in the HTTP field and PORT 87. Click tools, internet options, connections, LAN settings and then click advanced within the Proxy field. Direcway requires a Proxy for the accelerator function. Without it, pages will load slowly. After you set up your proxy you'll notice that if you go to a secure site, you'll notice it loads slower than non secure sites, that is because it can't use accelerator on secure pages.

Try this out and let me know, there's a few other things that could be going on, but it sounds like that is what the problem is. You should have those same proxy settings for every computer that will access the internet over your Direcway system.

Last edited:
the proxy settings for a pro account on a 6000 is your static IP, -1.

i.e. xxx.xxx.xxx.xx4 is your static, xxx.xxx.xxx.xx3 would be your proxy. (You can get this address from your modem)

tonyp56 said:
I'm on the Direcway Home plan and I have no problems loading any pages here. Within 2-3 seconds everything is up and ready.

You might check out your Proxy settings, make sure it has 192.168.0.1 in the HTTP field and PORT 87. Click tools, internet options, connections, LAN settings and then click advanced within the Proxy field. Direcway requires a Proxy for the accelerator function. Without it, pages will load slowly. After you set up your proxy you'll notice that if you go to a secure site, you'll notice it loads slower than non secure sites, that is because it can't use accelerator on secure pages.

Try this out and let me know, there's a few other things that could be going on, but it sounds like that is what the problem is. You should have those same proxy settings for every computer that will access the internet over your Direcway system.

One reason it may load faster is because the pages are in your cache. The proxy is stored on the modem itself so it is on all the time even if you do not turn it on on your system. Turning on the proxy on your system only helps your cache it does not make your system run faster. You also may have to turn your proxy off to view some pages and in rare cases even turn it off on the modem.

The problem I have when viewing this site on my Hughes installs is with the first page, the ads up top will come up within 1 or 2 seconds no problem then the bottom half of the page is gray, then it takes about 10 to 15seconds for it to load. After I go there and sign in it does seem to speed up. I tested this today with and without the proxy settings on the customers computer and they were both about the same speed. On a two way system self hosted there is not much you can do to tweak it. "see http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8500"

Now on a 4000 or 3000 you can do alot to up your speed
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/satellite/4. Speed Tweaks
as I have said before, the non self hosted systems run much faster than the newer selfhosted systems on the downlink but horribly slower on the uplink.

SatAdam said:
the proxy settings for a pro account on a 6000 is your static IP, -1.

i.e. xxx.xxx.xxx.xx4 is your static, xxx.xxx.xxx.xx3 would be your proxy. (You can get this address from your modem)

Yes. Your proxy will be your Gateway address. You can also find this on your network connection.

The Tate said:
Yes. Your proxy will be your Gateway address. You can also find this on your network connection.
You also need to add the port number to your proxy settings. The browser cache should be set somewhere between 20 and 70 MB. IE has a tendency to grab about 10% of you hard drive for cache which makes it really slow over time. You should defrag your hard drive too. It works wonders. If you go to www.speedguide.net, you'll see a application to change your TCPIP settings. I use a very large RWIN value. That speeds things up a lot.

Generally, cache sizes above 100 megabytes waste disk space and can actually cause slower performance. Cache sizes below 10 megabytes may not provide enough temporary storage for the browser, and can cause low performance because of increased network activity.

An RWIN of 64240 is recommended for XP.

i notice the same thing. There is a big delay. I have dsl. I just switched from cable last week and cable did the same thing. It is annoying and makes me less likely to visit the site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)