Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
I might have the opportunity to buy a viewsat 9000 receiver cheap (less than $200) locally through classifieds.

I know a couple members here have or had them and I am curious if anyone can confirm or deny the DVB-S2 claims. Also, I have read conflicting reports on the blindscan... I have read it actually works, but it has a tendency to miss stuff with SR < 5000. Also, does the PVR function actually work? Any other comments from owners are always welcome.

Well I want to thank those that PM"d me with viewsat info/experience. It is good to confirm what I already thought.

Anyways, I'm gonna bite on this offer from this guy (college kid), it's only $180 and I figure for an HD box, that's not a bad deal and I can compare it to my Pansat 9200 that I really like. I gather from my conversation with the guy that it was used for purposes that most viewsats seem to be used for. Like anything I get from ebay, I'm sure I'll spend 30 minutes or so tonight cleaning it up software wise.

After I get some time to play, I'll write up a review and let people know how things work. I don't know of any DVB-S2 stuff to play with on Ku, so if anyone knows of any, please PM me or post them in the WUT so I can try it out. I don't care if it's data only, I just wanna see if this thing can see signal on those kinds of feeds.

I'll be picking the box up tonight and I'll get it hooked up to my motorized setup to being playing. Also, does anyone know what the differnce (if any) there are between the Version 1 and version 2 units other than a cooling fan?

On mine the blind scan is useless. It really doesn't find anything. If you manually enter the info then, it will find it no problem.

I've never been able to lock any DVB s2 .

I haven't tried hooking up a hard drive so I don't know whether the PVR works or not. This is something I probably will want to try here at some point.

$180 is a pretty good deal. You won one from Ebay at $180? I haven't paid attention lately but, I'm surprised a $400 unit went that low. On the other hand it's a matter of opinion whether it was worth $400 in the first place. :)

No, I saw it in a local classifieds (university newspaper) that I always check out near the end of the semester as college kids like to get rid of stuff. I scored a few decent TV's, a couple mini-fridges etc that way. Keeps my beer cold and out of the family fridge so the wife doesn't complain about taking up space.

Anyways, I am gonna play tonight and at least post back what I see with it. Like I stated, I read that the blind scan seems to not work with SR < 5000, but many others have stated that besides that, it works pretty well.

I got some DVB-S2 stuff to try out so I'll check that for sure and report back. After a few days playing with it, I'll write up a little review.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)