Viewsat UL, Hispasat, Cubavision, JSC321S

Status
Please reply by conversation.

andyibr

Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Miami
Hello guys,

Let begin by saying that I am newbie however I do have read a lot today.

I read a thread where you guys were talking about this issue but it never got to a final solution.

I am in:
Miami, Fl

I have:
Viewsat Ultra Lite. I just installed the Channel List (U00D_UL.sat) & Firmware (VIEWSAT_UL_v0112.PEG) from manufacturer web site.

30" Antenna (30”x 36” Elliptic dish)

LNB: JSC321S Standard Linear Ku Band FTA LNB from DMS International.

I am pointing to: 115* using my compass. I have what I believe is 27.5* using an inclinometer over the LNB's frame.

I have tried with the TP 11884 and TP 12172.

Receiver Info:
Satellite: Hispasat 1c,1d 30.0 W
LNB Power: ON
LNB Type: Universal
LNB Freq.: 10750
TP freq: 11884
DiSEqC 1.0: None
Motor: Off

I have spend the whole day trying to get Hispasat because I want to watch Cubavision however all I get all of the time is Signal strength about 70% and NO SIGNAL QUALITY at all. I have even take the LNB out of the dish then put it on the floor and surprise I still get the same 70% Signal strength and No Signal Quality. So I am very much lost here.

I will appreciate all the knowledge you can help me with guys.

I have a very specific question too. I read a post where ICEBERGE said that you need a Universal LNB and HD FAN said that you can use a Standard LNB…… so I ask Can I use or not the JSC321S Standard LNB for this channel? Please advise

A Standard LNB is fine for 30W. Dont know where I said you need a Universal for 30W. There was a Cubavision Int'l on 58W that did require a Universal

looks like your settings on the reciever are wrong. Should be STANDARD (single) and 10750 LNB Freq

If it requires two, change both to 10750

looks like your elevation and compass spot is right. Did you skew the LNB? That needs to be done. From Miami its a -58 skew. If you are in front of the dish facing it skew the LNB clockwise

The LNBF will produce a Signal Level when connected to the receiver and the LNBF is powered. This is normal. You may see a slight increase / decrease as the dish is aimed at a satellite. When the receiver LNBF LO setting, TP frequency, Polarity, Symbol Rate and out at the dish the LNBF Skew is set and the dish aimed will the Signal Quality reading indicate that it is on the correct satellite.

Do not place an inclinometer in the LNBF mount to set the elevation. No part of an offset dish is directly aimed at the satellite. The signal reflects off the reflector from an angle that is typically 23 - 26 degrees higher than the face of the dish appears to be aimed.

Does your dish have an elevation scale on the rear bracket? If so, use that scale to set the approximate elevation angle. The face of the dish will appear to be almost vertical. Could you attach a few photos of the dish, elevation scale and LNBF? It might help us verify the assembly and aiming.

Here some addtl info + Pictures

Hello guys,

Thank you for your answers.

Iceberg: I have setup now the receiver according to your instructions. I am very new on the FTA so I just learn about the existence of this two LNB types. Do not worry I am still reading everuthig I can find about FTA specially Hispasat.

SatelliteAV: Thank you also for get me clear about this inclinometer stuff. So basically this tool is not worth to try to use it. I am attaching some pcitures as you requested.

I have done this two changes however I still can not get Hispasat and to be honest any other sat. So I am very much blaming myself on this.

I am thking that probably I am beginning on FTA with a hard to get Satellite. Do you think I should try an easy to get satellite and then move to Hispasat? if that is so, can you tell me wich satellite with free TV programming I should try from my location ( Zip 33142).

Here a the pictures of my setup.

Attachments

• DishElevation.JPG
    DishElevation.JPG
    537.9 KB · Views: 732
  • ElevationScale.JPG
    ElevationScale.JPG
    457.9 KB · Views: 731
  • SatAzm1.JPG
    SatAzm1.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 784
  • SatAzm2.JPG
    SatAzm2.JPG
    531.6 KB · Views: 672
  • SatInfo.JPG
    SatInfo.JPG
    630.3 KB · Views: 783
  • Skew.JPG
    Skew.JPG
    486.5 KB · Views: 1,690
You look pretty close with that setup, have you tried varying the elevation on your dish by very much? I'd say go up and down by as much as 10degrees, slowly pan the dish side to side while your receiver is set to an active transponder on your target. The viewsat quality meter should jump a bit when you get close, takes patience and time. Unless there's some obstruction between your dish and the satellite, you should get it eventually.

Thanks for posting the photos.

1. The receiver settings are correct as long as the polarity and symbol rate are set in the second window.
  2. The LNBF setting is correct. When aiming east, the LNBF is twisted Clockwise. When aiming west the LNBF Skew is twisted Counter-Clockwise.
  3. The dish setting appears to be possibly slightly low. What is the brand of the dish? Do the specification of the dish indicate the offset angle? If so, then the face of the dish can be used to measure the exact elevation angle using the inclinometer. Does the dish assembly instructions indicate what part of the bracket is used for the elevation pointer? Some dish designs use the center of the bolt as the pointer and others use a metal pointer which is visible through the elevation scale.

The easiest satellite to locate and verify that your system is working would probably be AMC9 which is almost directly South of your location. Not a ton of channels, but it will determine if things are working.

Receiver Info:
Satellite: AMC9 83.0 W
LNB Power: ON
LNB Type: Standard
LNB Freq.: 10750
TP freq: 11775 ( Polarity: Horizontal / Symbol Rate: 4232)
DiSEqC 1.0: None
Motor: Off

Aim the dish to compass reading: 190.9
Set the dish elevation: 59.7
Set the LNBF Skew: +5.7 (Counterclockwise if standing if front of the dish)

This is a very strong signal with color bars and tones. Should be very easy to locate and scan.

Attachments

• AMC9 Aiming.pdf
    75.2 KB · Views: 374
It will be better to use the Manual Scan screen to make sure what SatelliteAV said, that Vertical polarity , SR 27500 and FEC 3/4 are properly selected. Most factory firmware usually have that TP info ok but who knows (on viewsat's it usually has it doble at 11891 and therefore scan those channels twice when doing Auto Scan).

I second Iceberg on moving the LNB all the way back on the holder to grab it by the neck right almost at the head.

Make sure there are no obstructions for that bird and try a range of +/- 5 degrees around the elevation angle because most dish (and also because the pole not being plumb) could be up to 4 degrees off on their Elev Scale.

Try also the TVE Mux at 12050 V SR 27500 FEC 3/4 because it is also a strong Vertical TP.

It takes time the first time to lock a signal and a lot of patience. Move slowly 1 or 2 degrees and wait 5 seconds for the receiver to lock , then move again.

. . . Does the dish assembly instructions indicate what part of the bracket is used for the elevation pointer?
Some dish designs use the center of the bolt as the pointer and others use a metal pointer which is visible through the elevation scale.
( the red line in the picture below)
. . . and some have a funny washer-like thing with points on it.

Attachments

• ElevationRedLine.jpg
    ElevationRedLine.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 368
  • ElevationMarker.jpg
    ElevationMarker.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 352
Hispasat: I finally got it. Thx satelliteguys

Hello guys, let me tell you that your knowledge and friendship make this forum the first place where every FTA fan needs to look for help.

I have been able to get:
AMC 5, AMC9, GALAXY 3C, INTELSAT 9 and of course HISPASAT 1D !!!!!!

After your advices I have done these changes:
Push the LNB away from the dish.
Adjust the LBN Rotation.
Adjust the Elevation setting. Anole: Thanks for the pictures!!!!
Azimuth changes at very small steps. SatelliteAV: awesome information.
Adjust the receiver settings: Iceberg thank you for you inputs.

Hispasat from my location (Miami, Fl) look a little more that 27.5 elevation I would say almost 30. The same happens with the azimuth it looks like 120. What I did was to move the azimuth until I got the best Strength level that I could (83% while at the same time I had 0% in Quality). Then I move my elevation at very small step until I finally got some Signal Quality. I did continue ajusting my elevation until I got the best I could 73%.

Thank to all of you satelliteguys:
Anole
Hd fan
Iceberg
SatelliteAV
Turbosat

73 % on a Viewsat for Hispasat 1C/1D? Wow!!!. The best I can get here far north in Toronto is 63-65!. Do not forget to watch the first movie Saturday nights on Cubavision (10:10 pm) they are usually new US releases and sometimes even before the DVD release here NA!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)