Status
Please reply by conversation.

gizzer777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
none
Hi there..
I am new to FTA and this site, but have had a BUD c/ku band (now 4dtv) for over 10 yrs.

I just ordered the Viewsat 2000 EXTREME based on the info I have found (The Viewsat home site never seems to pick up their phone, always after hours recording), and will hook it up when it arrives. I think I should be able to use (2) high band splitters (1 for C and 1 for KU) and keep control of the dish with my current 4dtv receiver. I am a bit confused as to how polarity works with FTA, since the 4DTV receiver automatically selects H/V polarity when it finds the bird.

I will post a followup on the unit as soon as I get the Extreme and figure out how to hook it up!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
TIA
Jeff

Adding FTA to 4dtv...Thank You Rob!

That is exactly what I thought it would take....Confirmation is always nice from those in the know!
regards
Jeff

gizzer777 said:
I am a bit confused as to how polarity works with FTA, since the 4DTV receiver automatically selects H/V polarity when it finds the bird.

Whatever polarity your 4dtv is on is what you'll have to watch and/or scan on your Viewsat 2000 Extreme. You will only be able to scan 1 polarity at a time. Then you can switch polarity and scan the other side. You will also have to scan C-band and ku-band separately.

Al

Edit: You have to scan C/ku separately, because the Viewsat will have to be set for the correct frequencies. C has 4 digits and ku has 5 digits. Also the Viewsat will need to be set to 5150 on the lnb for the c-band side and 10750 for the ku side.

Last edited:
wow voomvoom...THANKS...
Looks a bit complicated....Hope they explain it easily in the manual which I have not looked at (the normal V2000 is the only one I have found online...in fact the viewsat page does not even make mention of the Extreme model...Interesting.

My new 4DTV 922 arrived today, to late to swap the 920 out. Once I get the 922 authorized, I think I will attempt a "hot" battery replacement for the 920...maybe it will last another 10+ yrs! (I will be careful, since the lithium battery is the same danger as doing the VCII battery replacement.) VCII battery replacement is pretty well documented on the net (I have done 2 of them), but not so for the DSR 920....Might be able to do it with the 920 plugged in (keeping myself well insulated) depending on how the battery is soldered in, may be able to do a parallel replacement as an alternative! The darn battery on the 920 is placed under the metal cage that holds the VCII module will have to remove that cage first!
If I lose it, I lose it. beats sending it to service which would wind up costing $100 for a new battery (shipping would be over $50 alone!

Status
Please reply by conversation.