Viewtech countersues Echostar

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RVD420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
Parts Unknown
Looks like Viewtech is throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.

In their countersuit they are asking for $100,000,000

Read the attached PDF of the counterclaim.

Thing could get interesting.

Attachments

• 20080707_Counterclaim_for_Damages_(ViewTech).pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 618
I haven't read it yet, but good luck to 'em!
Charlie will bleed 'em dry in court!

edit: okay, I read the first 19 pages (the rest are exhibits)
There's some B/S, but for the most part, the claims look good.
. . . but regardless, Charlie will bleed 'em dry in court! - :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I just read it, and it looks pretty good. I love the basic premise that Echostar is trying to kill off it's Free To Air competitors ( Echostar apparently markets FTA boxes in other countries ) , and the demand for a jury trial. I suspect the real case will hinge upon whether there is enough evidence to convince a jury that Viewtech is the employer of the hackers, rather than the beneficiary of hacking. Could be a pretty convoluted trial.
:)

Yea, and what if they show a bunch of hacked Echostar receivers in Europe?
That should muddy the water!
Might demand some search warrants to look through all the Echostar companies, to see if THEY support the hackers, too!
Wouldn't that witch-hunt, be a hoot?
I just love the slanderous implication! - :cool:

all comments are strictly of a speculative nature, and to not constitute any insider knowledge of the companies involved

I think E* would like nothing more than to put all FTA manuafacturers out of business in the US. I do not condone hacking, but the legitmate use/sale of FTA gear (as we do), or telling a dealer what kind of equipment he can or cannot sell, because Mr. Ergen has his thong in a wad,all because he cannot secure his signal!

I hope Viewsat wins. The Koreans MAY have deeper pockets than Charlie, who knows? :D

If they lose we may be importing our receivers from Europe. :(

Oh, did you notice the last exhibit's screenshots are from satelliteguys.us?

What if they find that E* holds a 51% stake in the Manufacturers of FTA Boxes. LOL :)

E* makes FTA boxes that are sold in Europe.

And with some looking on hack sites in Europe you can find hack software for E* fta boxes sold in Europe.

E* makes FTA boxes that are sold in Europe.

And with some looking on hack sites in Europe you can find hack software for E* fta boxes sold in Europe.
Some bright fellow should import them.
Grey market, or however.
Then, some other entity should offer hacks for 'em!
Wouldn't THAT put the icing on the cake?? - :D

I own a couple of boxes, a visionsat and a traxis. One is considered unhackable. A simple solution would be for the courts to order that all fta boxes be manufactured unhackable. Recall all current boxes and replace them with a modified unhackable box. Can true fta'ers survive without our evil cousins? Maybe its time to find out.

In return Dish and DTV have to help the fta stations in the North American market develop a working, week long epg.

The simple thing here would be for Dish Network to fix their security issue. Instead they are blaming others for making equipment making it easy to hack their signal.

Fix the actual problem and then there is no problem.

DirecTV did it, why can't Dish?

Because Nagravision is a part of Echostar [NagraStar] - it's all about invested money !

Someone could make full financial analysis of the investment include waves of piracy and related ROI.

You guys forget that FTA in Europe and around the world is Very Very Diffrent than the FTA here. Any FTA reciver can get services from any provider in the world. All you need is the smartcard for it, and authorization from that company. Pritty much its bring your own reciver and we will give you the card for it. Most FTA Recivers in Europe and other places come with a CAM Slot installed, and one can pick up a smart card at any gas station or drugstore to get programming for that month.

Perhaps you're luck of technical knowledge when proposed such thing.

You're right. I have no clue what is involved in either of my suggestions. I was just throwing out ideas. It seems if one manufacturer can make an unhackable box then others could too, but that is just speculation on my part.

All you need is the smartcard for it, and authorization from that company.
If the satellite box manufacturers were able to offer fta stations AND premium programming that might expand their customer base and make it in their best interest to discourage hacking.

Its fun to imagine one box that allows ota, fta, and subscription programming. While we're at it let's make it a pvr.

unhackABLE vs unhackED

Let's make one thing clear.
There isn't anything unhackable about the Traxis.
It's just a simple receiver like all the other popular SD boxes in the market.
It may or may not have a less common CPU (actually, a SOC or "system on a chip").
If so, that just means it's not convenient to drop some other receiver's firmware into it.
But if there was money involved, it'd be just as hacked as any.
The fact that it isn't, just means nobody is paying for it to be.

Let's make one thing clear.
There isn't anything unhackable about the Traxis.
It's just a simple receiver like all the other popular SD boxes in the market.
It may or may not have a less common CPU (actually, a SOC or "system on a chip").
If so, that just means it's not convenient to drop some other receiver's firmware into it.
But if there was money involved, it'd be just as hacked as any.
The fact that it isn't, just means nobody is paying for it to be.

+1

Their is no such thing as a unhackable anything. Anything made is hackable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts