Vin Scully Almost a Yankee Broadcaster??!!!

Vinny was voted the more famous Dodger of all time by the fans. He had more votes than Jackie and Tommy.

Don't forget, some time in the 80's there was a significant poll taken by someone asking people who they would most want to deliver a devastating message to them and Vin won hands down. And this was back in the hey-day of Cronkite, et al.

I've mentioned it here before, but to this day I can recall the moment he delivered the news of Don Drydale's passing during a game from Montreal. I was in the kitchen cooking and Vinny began by saying "Friends, we've been together a long time...." and I ran to the TV set because you could just FEEL that he was about to deliver bad news. He did and like millions of others, I sat on the couch and cried.

Don't forget, some time in the 80's there was a significant poll taken by someone asking people who they would most want to deliver a devastating message to them and Vin won hands down. And this was back in the hey-day of Cronkite, et al.

I've mentioned it here before, but to this day I can recall the moment he delivered the news of Don Drydale's passing during a game from Montreal. I was in the kitchen cooking and Vinny began by saying "Friends, we've been together a long time...." and I ran to the TV set because you could just FEEL that he was about to deliver bad news. He did and like millions of others, I sat on the couch and cried.
He has a way of delivering any message with the proper tone, mood, and theme, from a tragedy to a historical play.

I too remember that day. It was hard to listen to him call the rest of the game. You can hear him holding back his tears.

Vin Scully---yet another fond memory from the Dodgers of my youth. The thought of him calling Yankees games bring a cramp to my stomach!

Unfortunately, Vinny only does games in the West (which includes all home games) as he no longer travels past CO. For those out of division road games, we have to listen to Collins/Lyons call the game on TV and Steiner (ex Yank announcer) with Monday call on the radio

He's better than anybody the Yanks have had in the past 15 years except the Scooter !!
I love listening to Dodger games on FSN W or PT.

I enjoyed Phil Rizzuto (especially when he was on the WPIX telecasts with Frank Messer and Bill White), but in all due respect, in no way, shape or form was he better than Vin Scully calling a baseball game.

In fact, NO ONE was/is better.

I enjoyed Phil Rizzuto (especially when he was on the WPIX telecasts with Frank Messer and Bill White), but in all due respect, in no way, shape or form was he better than Vin Scully calling a baseball game.

In fact, NO ONE was/is better.

There are others in the same class as him, but none better .

Ernie Harwell comes to mind :up

There are others in the same class as him, but none better .

Ernie Harwell comes to mind :up

Absolutely! I'm not taking anything away from Ernie, who is another baseball treasure.

There's been a select few, through the years, that make you feel like you're at the ballpark. Vinny and Ernie are certainly at the top of that list.

My point is, you don't TOP a Vin Scully. :)

Absolutely! I'm not taking anything away from Ernie, who is another baseball treasure.

There's been a select few, through the years, that make you feel like you're at the ballpark. Vinny and Ernie are certainly at the top of that list.

My point is, you don't TOP a Vin Scully. :)
Agreed :up

Here is a compilation of some great Scully calls

Attachments

• ClassicVinScullyHighlights_64kb_mp3.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 166
Here is Vinny's call of the famous Dwight Clark catch (the entire drive)

49ers - Cowboys: The Catch onYouTube - Niners Nation

I once had the pleasure of asking Vin what was his most memorable game that did not involve the Dodgers. I immediately thought it would be Game 6 of the '86 series. Nope! He said quickly without any hesitation that calling "The Catch" will always be the non-Dodger highlight of his broadcasting career.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)