Vip 211 problem connectiong to Denon surround sound

dbonney

Original poster
May 29, 2008
I just purchased a Denon DHT-391XP Surround Sound System. When I connect a HDMI cable from the Dishnetwork 211k receiver to the Denaon receiver and then a HDMI cable from the Denon receiver to the TV, I get the audio, but no video. If I connect the 211k diectly to the TV, I get audio and video. Any idea what I'm doing wrong. I've been trouble shooting this all day with no luck.

Apparently Dish Network, Direct TV, and many Cable TV will not pass video through a surround sound video receiver via HDMI. According to Denon support this is a known problem related to HDCP copy protection. You must hook your receiver via HDMI directly to the DNTV and use an Digital optical Cable from the HDTV to the surround sound receiver. Apparently the satellite and cable companies are working on a software solution, however, so far they have been unsucessful. Funny, Dish suppoort seemed to be unaware of this issue.

Apparently Dish Network, Direct TV, and many Cable TV will not pass video through a surround sound video receiver via HDMI. According to Denon support this is a known problem related to HDCP copy protection. You must hook your receiver via HDMI directly to the DNTV and use an Digital optical Cable from the HDTV to the surround sound receiver. Apparently the satellite and cable companies are working on a software solution, however, so far they have been unsucessful. Funny, Dish suppoort seemed to be unaware of this issue.

That's quite a funny story they're telling, especially the part about optical cable from TV to receiver. Most HDTVs DO NOT pass 5.1 Dolby through their optical outputs, except for the audio from the set's own OTA tuner. If there is a problem, sounds to me like it's in Denon's court.

Refer to pages 12, 13 and 34 of the 391's Owners Manual for the solution.

Most electronic error can be filed as ID.T errors. Include me in the guilty party.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts