VIP 222 Remote Issues

jtrippe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Wetumpka, Alabama
I got a co-worker set up with Dish network a couple of weeks ago. He's having problems with his remote for TV1 on his VIP222. Dish just sent him a new remote but it doesn't work either. Does the new remote have to be programmed? The old remote would only work if you placed it right in front of the 222. The TV2 remote works just fine. I'm going over to his house at lunch to help him fix the problem. Any suggestions? Would it be a box issue with the IR? An installer came by last week and it worked just fine for him. My co-worker said that it stopped working again about an hour after the installer left. Wouldn't the IR on the receiver affect both remotes if something was wrong with it or are they separate? thanks for the help.

Many LCD HDTVs put out a whole lot of IR trash that can overwhelm the receiver's input sensor. Try putting an opaque funnel or tube around the sensor and aim the remote at it and see if that helps. If it does, you may have to relocate the receiver so that it can't "see" the TV.

How would the TV affect the Dish remote? Did the adding of the TV to the remote mess up the frequencies? The TV is a 47" Sony 1080p LCD, 120hrz. I don't know the model number.
I've heard that if a TV has dynamic contrast settings or automatic contrast turned on, than that can mess with remote IR signal.

So it is a good idea to turn those types of settings off.

I have a 40" Toshiba LCD TV and I was having interferrence with my Dish remote for about the first 5 minutes after the TV is turned on so I turned off the Dynamic Contrast and DynaLight setting and it corrected the problem.

Not knowing all the tech stuff, I noticed that if there is low light in the room, I cannot use the remote. This could be cause of the TV, 52 in Sony, which is right next to the DVR. All I have to do is turn on the overhead light and it works fine. Probably not the best solution, but it works for me.