vip 222k tv1 coax output does not work

dwdish

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
california
Looking for some help as I can't figure this out. I signed up my sister for Dish and she got a vip 222k. I'm trying to help her setup the tv1 output via coax so she can view that in another room also.

The 222k has a single coax output that carries both tv1 and tv2 (just like the vip 722). No matter how I set it, air or cable, the channel tv1 output is set on always returned snow for video however I can faintly here the audio. TV2 does not have any problem no matter which channel I set it to. I have switch the setting to "Home Distribution" (I think that is what it is called) instead of "Direct Connection." Any clue? Thanks.

First make sure that TV1 is set to be modulated out, (menu-6-1-5), if it is already, try another channel #, then auto scan on the tv you are trying to connect. You should get TV1 and TV2 in both locations. Choose the channel for the TV tuner you wish to view and enjoy. That is if every thing is connected properly.

Make sure you choose a channel for each output that is at least 2 from the other as well as 2 from any broadcast channels, if you are sending all down the same cable. Note the outputs are NTSC and all but low-power OTA are ATSC that older TVs cannot detect but they can cause interference. As you say TV2 is OK, you should not have interference from it.

(I just found my system was having interference because both 722s were set for channels 60 and 62 when one should have been 64 and 66, a gremlin did it. They are set high to avoid the OTA, which I add to all that with a reversed splitter.)

On the 722 both are UHF modulators, but I don't know about the 222 as some Dish receivers output TV1 on VHF channels 3 or 4 only.

Sorry you got the 222 if you had wanted to make it a DVR with an HDD--it won't, no software for that.
-Ken

Last edited:
I'll have her try to run the auto scan. It is strange because each time I change the tv2 channel, it comes up without an auto scan. I try setting the channel 10 to 20 apart but that didn't help. From what I read, the 222k will do 3 or 4 only if you have OTA module installed which she doesn't.

This is the way I have my 722 setup with TV1 and TV2 going out and feeding into my cable tv signal...worked fine at my house. At my buddy's house we set up his 222k and it worked until we had to move the cabinet and had to unplug the power. When it powered back up TV1 would no longer output. I'm guessing something went up in smoke on the TV1 modulator.

Do a System Info (Menu>6>1>3), press next and finally page down. This will show explicitly what the receiver is set for including band and channel. We've seen this problem before and in at least one case, the settings weren't what we were told (AIR .vs. CABLE).

If the TV is particularly old, it may need to use the UHF terminals for AIR channels.

If the TV can see TV2's program but not TV1, the TV1 modulator is probably toast.

If it can't see TV2 either, there's a strong case to be made for operator error.

I'll check the System Info this weekend to make sure everything is set correctly. On the same Tv, TV2 worked but TV1 doesn't.

there are some threads around that specifically the 222k has an issue with the tv1 modulated output. i havent seen this problem myself, but others have noted it. not sure if its software or hardware but you want to make sure your 222k is fully updated. as a last resoirt you can always purchase an ota module which provides an output for tv1 on ch 3.

Order a module for the tv 1 output or split the composite.
I have not installed a 222k that was capable of pushing both tv1 and tv2 since the beginning of the year.
My belief is hardware issue.
The problem is also beginning to show up on 722k.

right, i simply wont do it. if neccesary i have the customer move tvs or install a 322 if they dont want hd in the future. or i'll use an rf modulator if i have one.

It seems to be working now after I did the System Info check, Menu 6-1-3. Unfortunately I forgot to see if it was working prior to running that check so I'm not sure if it just started working by itself or if the check somehow fixed it. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I have an extra #2 remote that i would like to try to get my 3rd television to respond to..i went up in the attic and split the #2 signal to two more sets. The original #2 remote works on the two sets...but can't seem to get extra #2 remote to work on my 3rd set..will turn off and on set but won't change cable channels...on my #1 signal hd receiver they have it off and my #2 set non hd they have on air and channel 60 output..any help appreciated

You have to set the address of the remote
Press menu menu hold sat button till it lights up and flashes set the address 1-15
Press # wait for flash press record

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)