VIP 612 blown tuner?

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Trying to aim a single LNB dish to 72W.. the best I can get is 30%. I normally can aim these blind folded so am kinda leaning towards issues w/ the tuners.

Anyone ever experience something similar w/ this model?

Cheers, K

I have 2 612s and a contractor-aligned 1000.4. I've had no issues with ss on 72.7.

Trying to aim a single LNB dish to 72W.. the best I can get is 30%. I normally can aim these blind folded so am kinda leaning towards issues w/ the tuners.

Cheers, K

Hi Kraven,

I wanted to provide you a link to get the best signal for your system; http://www.dishpointer.com/. If you have any further questions please PM me w/the phone number for further assistance.

Thanks

Hi Kraven,

I wanted to provide you a link to get the best signal for your system; http://www.dishpointer.com/. If you have any further questions please PM me w/the phone number for further assistance.

Thanks
Do you think a person on here with 6,000 posts needs a link to dish pointer? I admit it would be nice if he provided a little more information about what he is doing, but I think he is a little beyond knowing how to point.

But without address and zip code it’s hard to tell what he is going for. With the 72W did he mean Western Hemisphere or Western Arch?

This is the reason for providing him the link to hopefully assist in what they are getting and if they had more questions they would PM and I could see what they are getting on the DISH account.

But I do understand you’re questioning the link and what I was trying to provide is another option to help.

Do you think a person on here with 6,000 posts needs a link to dish pointer? I admit it would be nice if he provided a little more information about what he is doing, but I think he is a little beyond knowing how to point.
Yep, those Dirt folk should be taken out behind the barn for trying to be helpful and efficient.

Reactions: Rey and ChadT41

Cheers, K

It could be the LNB (assuming you have the receiver directly connected, if not then a possible bad switch), or even a damaged dish.

But without address and zip code it’s hard to tell what he is going for. With the 72W did he mean Western Hemisphere or Western Arch?

This is the reason for providing him the link to hopefully assist in what they are getting and if they had more questions they would PM and I could see what they are getting on the DISH account.

But I do understand you’re questioning the link and what I was trying to provide is another option to help.

We appreciate your help and thoroughness. Well, most of us. :)

Reactions: Rey and ChadT41
Some funny guys in this thread... maybe I should have been more clear :facepalm

Question: Has anyone ever seen a VIP612 with defective/wonky tuners?
Am asking this because the problem is NOT the installation nor alignment..the darn signal strength wont go higher than 30%.

Cheers, K

Mike, you don't owe any kind of explanation for helping one of our fellow members. I apologize and thank you for your patience.

I tell you what's not needed, this kind of post above ^^^. Don't assume because a member has 6k posts they don't need to be pointed to the direction of certain information from time to time. DIRT does a hell of a job around here helping out MANY of our members who subscribe to dish and deserve our appreciation and respect. You have no idea the BS DIRT puts up with.

Kraven, my apologies for taking your thread off topic for a moment there, lets get back to it.

Rey

Reactions: TheKrell

Am asking this because the problem is NOT the installation nor alignment..the darn signal strength wont go higher than 30%.

Cheers, K
I've got a 612 with a questionable ATSC tuner but both satellite tuners are ok. If you could answer Timber Wolf's questions it might help. My first guess would be a warped dish, you really haven't provided much information. Do you have another receiver you could substitute?

Cheers, K

I am sure there are 612s that show up with broken tuners, but you cannot conclude that is the problem unless you have more test results. If a different receiver pulls in a great signal, then yes the 612 is probably broke. If not it could be the LNB is bad, the dish is warped, the switch is bad, external interference, LOS issues, etc.

Reactions: TheKrell
Now am actually a little insulted...as I previously stated ITS NOT the installation nor the alignment. :censored

Anywho, since some of you like to read... :clapping

It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon, clearly blue skies, a small breeze from the south west...the little guy was napping to the sweet sounds of
birds chirping from the nearby trees. I took out the 20" dish from the shed and connected it to the VIP622, aimed and couldnt do better than 30% on 72W (wishing to sub to Dish America). Checked out Satbeans and confirmed am in the foot print. Swap out LNBs (no change), run new RG6 quad shielded cables (crimped myself)...no change 30%. Since the dish was on a tripod, I changed locations..... no change

On the 39" dish, moved it to 72W, changed LNBs... 30%.

Bypassed the powerbar and plugged her directly into the wall (30% no change).

Recap: 1 x 20" dish, 1 x 39" dish, 3 different LNBs, new RG6 (max length 30ft), weather clear = 30% no more nor less

After all of the above I posted this question: Has anyone ever seen a VIP612 with defective/wonky tuners?

:deadhorse3

Reactions: Rey
Now am actually a little insulted...as I previously stated ITS NOT the installation nor the alignment. :censored

Anywho, since some of you like to read... :clapping

It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon, clearly blue skies, a small breeze from the south west...the little guy was napping to the sweet sounds of
birds chirping from the nearby trees. I took out the 20" dish from the shed and connected it to the VIP622, aimed and couldnt do better than 30% on 72W (wishing to sub to Dish America). Checked out Satbeans and confirmed am in the foot print. Swap out LNBs (no change), run new RG6 quad shielded cables (crimped myself)...no change 30%. Since the dish was on a tripod, I changed locations..... no change

On the 39" dish, moved it to 72W, changed LNBs... 30%.

Bypassed the powerbar and plugged her directly into the wall (30% no change).

Recap: 1 x 20" dish, 1 x 39" dish, 3 different LNBs, new RG6 (max length 30ft), weather clear = 30% no more nor less

After all of the above I posted this question: Has anyone ever seen a VIP612 with defective/wonky tuners?

:deadhorse3
Thanks for the additional information. Yes there are 612's with bad tuners out there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts