VIP 612 & Dolby 5.1

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cottage

Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
I have recently purchased a Bell TV 9241 receiver (the same as a Dish VIP 612).

I have the receiver connected to the TV using the HDMI connection. It is my understanding that the HDMI connection will also carry Dolby Digital 5.1. (I've also verified this reading the HDMI spec.) However, the receiver manual says that it is necessary to connect the optical cable to get DD 5.1. I called Bell Technical Support and they verified this. However, it was obvious that the Bell tech was just reading from his screen - He didn't sound too confident.

I have the HDMI connected through a Denon 3808 receiver. When the 9241 receiver is tuned to a channel that is carrying a DD soundtrack, the Denon receiver indicates that it is processing a Dolby Digital signal. It will only say Dolby Digital. It doesn't report 5.1. (Even so, I have a few DVDs that carry a Dolby Digital 2 channel track).

Therefore, I'm wondering what the real story is.

Does the Bell 9241 (Dish VIP 612) output Dolby Digital 5.1 on the HDMI connection or is really necessary to use the optical cable?

You should get 5.1 thru HDMI. However, I think very few if any programs from Dish have 5.1 tracks.

Optical connections would be needed for 5.1 if you were using DVI, component, composite, RF or S-Video connectors.

You should get 5.1 thru HDMI. However, I think very few if any programs from Dish have 5.1 tracks.

Optical connections would be needed for 5.1 if you were using DVI, component, composite, RF or S-Video connectors.

Thank-you for the very fast reply.

That's what I thought too.

BTW - Many of the prime time network programs are broadcast in DD. Most programs on Treasure, Oasis & Rush are also in DD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)