VIP 612 DVR problems

stung4ever

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
OK, we had a 612 DVR for about 5 years. Then it started acting up, freezing at random times (once every few days), and playing back any recorded program would also make it freeze up. In both cases, frozen up to the point that it was completely unresponsive to anything other than a hard reset. I tried to get the recorded programs onto an external hard drive, but beginning the transfer would also make the receiver completely freeze.

After about an hour with Dish Technical Service chat, I got them to send a replacement (although they tried to sell me on it being a software problem that wouldn't be helped with a replacement receiver).

Well, now, less than a month later, the new receiver is starting to freeze up at random times, once or twice a day (so even more often than the previous receiver), although DVR playback doesn't seem to be affected (yet). Did I just have bad luck and get a refurbished unit that wasn't up to snuff?

It definitely could be a bad replacement. If you would like to start a private conversation with I can definitely help get this resolved. I will need the phone number and 4 digit security code on the account in that message to get started

Reactions: stung4ever
I had both of my 612s replaced last year and the new ones have been golden. Let's hope I didn't jinx myself!

If happening to two, depending on what exactly is happening, it very much could be caused by a software bug.

My replacement 612 is ok as far as freezing but the OTA is definitely lacking compared to my original. Just goes to prove the refurbs aren't always as good as NEW.

OK, we had a 612 DVR for about 5 years. Then it started acting up, freezing at random times (once every few days), and playing back any recorded program would also make it freeze up. In both cases, frozen up to the point that it was completely unresponsive to anything other than a hard reset. I tried to get the recorded programs onto an external hard drive, but beginning the transfer would also make the receiver completely freeze.

After about an hour with Dish Technical Service chat, I got them to send a replacement (although they tried to sell me on it being a software problem that wouldn't be helped with a replacement receiver).

Well, now, less than a month later, the new receiver is starting to freeze up at random times, once or twice a day (so even more often than the previous receiver), although DVR playback doesn't seem to be affected (yet). Did I just have bad luck and get a refurbished unit that wasn't up to snuff?

Two things to try, that I have done with my 612's.
1. Make sure they are in very well ventilated areas, and even then think about putting a small quiet fan next to it. Some 612's are more sensitive to heat than others. One of mine turns on the high fan after the heat has been on for awhile and it isn't near a vent. A small fan fixed that and probably prevents freezing.

2. Put a timer on it to make it totally reset every night, at a different time from the update time.
Knock on my desk simulated wood, it has been years of no problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts