Vip 612 through AV system flakey

dwrightdft

Original poster
May 8, 2010
cal
Connected newly installed 612 receiver (connected by Dish people) through Sony STR-KS2300 AV system to Sony Bravia TV and the video goes into an intermittent black screen (two second +/- interval). The audio is unaffected. Had Direct TV receiver through same system one hour earlier, worked fine. Checked/switched all DMI cables. Connect straight from receiver to TV (DMI) and works fine (just no Dolby 5.1 etc) through TV speakers. Dish says it is a Sony problem, Sony says Dish. Gues it is my problem.

Thanks in advance

I have my 722 hooked up to a Samsung 63B550n HDTV thru a Yamaha RX-V765 with HDMI cables all the way. I turned off then tv audio in the menu by setting it to external speakers which are connected to the Yamaha. Mine works fine. Check your tv menu and your av receiver menu for settings that you might need to adjust to get everything working. Read thru your av manual for hints on adjustments. I can't think of any settings on the Dish receiver that would help. Oh, be sure the Dish receiver under Dolby Digital is set to Dolby Digital/PCM. It should be a setting in the AV receiver that is not set right.

Last edited:
HDCP probably the problem

Lots of reading and question asking bring me to believe there is one root problem. HDCP!! The ViP 612 sends a signal out and when it gets to the AV receiver and passed through (repeated) to the TV something in the signal determines there is a compliance problem (in the TV I believe) and interrupts transmission momentarily, no video. Signal goes out and checks, non compliance, signal interrupted etc. Eliminating the AV connection, no pass through (repeater), signal finds HDCP compliance. There is supposedly a Firmware version L607 released (I couldn't find it) or soon to be released for the ViP 612 to address this and other issues. Again, this whole system (minus the Dish receiver) worked well with DirectTV setup.

My fix for now is using the optical digital connection for audio from the Vip612 to the AV receiver. Not quite HDMI quality but you have to be pretty discerning to tell the difference. The HDMI connection is directly from the 612 to the TV.

Thanks for the input

Please explain why the optical is not as good as Hdmi
with Dish Network.

HDMI supports Dolby 7.1 and some other codecs that optical does not at this time. You need to have devices (tv,AV,Blue Ray etc.) that support the formats as well.

Optical supports basically unlimited bandwidth, but the devices connected limit what optical can do. HDMI is the "single cable answer" that is being hyped by the industry, thus gets all the developemental attention for all the devices. Optical cables are very inexpensive compared to HDMI.

My opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)